Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Furnace won't keep trailer warm

I have a 2015 Wildcat Maxx 27ft. Very little air is blowing out the three vents in the floor, and the 30,000 btu furnace won't keep the trailer warm in 40 degree temp. I would like to hear from anyone else that has this problem and anyone that has a fix. My dealer has looked at it two times and now has told me to "live with it".
densal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #2

Hi

I use a portable baseboard heater and the electric fireplace in really cold weather. You need to watch your current draw as the total draw is very near 30 amps. It's no problem if you are hooked up to 50 amps.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Your dealer might be right in that there's not an issue, or they might not. Hard to tell without seeing the actual unit.

From what you described, it sounds like there's a few possibilities:

1) Blockage in the ducts
2) Blower doesn't blow hard enough
3) External loss from ducts to outside

There's potentially more, but that's some of the first things I'd check.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:11 PM   #4

I would look at all the places where a duct is joined to either another duct or register. You can bet they dont tape them at the factory,you could be bleeding warm air at those places. Tape them up just like residential ducts are done.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #5

Furnace problem

I would contact Forest River customer service I've had good luck with them even covered repairs out of warranty. May want to contact the furnace maker and try another dealer. I'd try Forest River first!
edcronin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by densal View Post
I have a 2015 Wildcat Maxx 27ft. Very little air is blowing out the three vents in the floor, and the 30,000 btu furnace won't keep the trailer warm in 40 degree temp. I would like to hear from anyone else that has this problem and anyone that has a fix. My dealer has looked at it two times and now has told me to "live with it".
Densal, I know for a Fact that our Furnace will (Run You Out) at Temps way below (40Deg.F)! Now without (Supplemental Heat) our unit Cools Down pretty Quick when it is (COLD and Windy) but the furnace brings the Temp right back up,Very Fast! With (Supplemental Heat) the Furnace comes on Very Seldom! Your unit needs (Warrantee) work performed!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #7

Furnace Propblem

Contacact FR. Your furnance at 40 degree ambient temp should run you out your trailer. we've had 2 32' trailers and don't even turn then on till we're in thr 20-30 degree range! Think someone is trying to blow smoke cause they don't wan a pull belly pan!
rooksroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #8
Site Team

Most likely a disconnected vent ( duct from plenum ) or a crushed duct. disconnected is most likely as all the ducts would have to be crushed to cause little air at each one, One disconnect will effect all. Also check furnace air box. There are several exit ports available and unused ones should be blocked( actually never opened).

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #9

Is the air that's blowing even warm\hot? If not perhaps your furnace is cycling the fan only and no propane.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #10

It's going to depend on which floor ducts are not putting air out. The Famous FR mistake is or has been either the duct has been 1/2 off at the plenum or if it is what I think it is that your duct is crushed with a strap. Depending on which your not getting enough air out of. FR will take a 4"rd off and then divide it with a wye branch to make 2 duct registers. Sorry that will not work. If you can check around the Pileum first. Check to see that nothing is being loss there then try to trace as far as you can for anything like wires or piping that reducing the air flow. Also you can take a ribbon and tape it to the end of register and see how it blows at each one. You should be plain old hot with 30,000 BTU. My guess would be a loose duct or a crushed one from an overzealous line worker.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #11

Ive use mine in -4c at the winter rallies it ran 40 mins per hour but was hot inside check to return cold air for blockages as well
Don Reesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #12

Look at the furnace and see if the ductwork is connected. My brand new hyperlite had the duct pushed completely off when the electrical panel was installed. All the hot air from the one side was blowing on the converter and electrical box. It is pretty hard to see unless your looking for it.
rsv4pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
TGR

Your Maxx is made in a different factory that my 282 RKX 5th wheel so things might be different. My unit has only 2 heat registers. One is in the floor of the bedroom at the foot of the bed and the other is in the riser to the first step up from the living area near the entry door. There are 2 cold air returns, one in the bathroom and one in the rear of the living area (in my rear kitchen). Oddly (at least in my opinion), both my cold air returns have a slight warm draft coming out of them rather than pulling cold air from my living spaces while the two heat vents have a lot of air flow.

Maybe you have only one hot air vent that is not performing and the other two are cold air returns. That might simplify getting to the correct missing hot air vent.

Gljurczyk is very knowledgably on FR furnace vent issues. I'd follow his advice and check out the hot-air vent for a crushed, obstructed or disconnected hot-air line first.

My unit provides plenty of heat down to 20 degrees and I'm sure even colder. Good luck!
TGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by densal View Post
If your dealer had that type of attitude I would contact Forest River and tell them about the problem and there attitude.
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #15
2014 Cardinal

2014 cardinal

I had the same problem with my unit. I took it back to the dealer and they found that the furnace was not totally assembled from the factory. Somebody didn't do there job when they put the furnace in at the factory. Sloppy work on the manufactures part. It's hard to get quality work from these guys
northwestill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #16

Hi what is the temperture at the registers when running? Use a house themometer and check it at each register! check it when it starts and when its been running for about 10 min. It should be at least 90* or more for sure.
fellow traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #17

Had same problem (sort of ) in my fr3 the thermostat is kind of weird and no instructions on how to work it was available. With the right sequence , was able to get super hot air coming out of vents. Before, the ac fan was operating with furnace at same time and the air was only luke warm. Once the thermostat was set properly, it worked like a charm.
Lfrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #18

Furnace wont keep trailer warm

Had the same type of problem on my Rockwood 2701SS. Like others have suggested, check your duct work where it attaches to the plenum. Mine was not attached, just sitting there in front of it,thus I had very low airflow. I have used my trailer in much colder temps than 40 F, while moose hunting, and the furnace has no problem heating the Rockwood since I attached the ductwork at the furnace.. As others have suggested, check the main duct connection first.
Good Luck.
Duvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #19
AKA: 'tiredTeacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by fellow traveler View Post
Hi what is the temperture at the registers when running? Use a house themometer and check it at each register! check it when it starts and when its been running for about 10 min. It should be at least 90* or more for sure.
X2! When in doubt - measure.
2010 Tundra 4X4 5.7L V8
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows.
awellis3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #20
Denver, CO

My furnace was heating the inside of the kitchen cabinets well, with one of the ducts off at the plenum. That is a very common problem with new units. Your dealer is being irrisponsible and should be able to fix it.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

Tags
furnace, trailer