Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
So, lame weekend relative to my backup camera.
First, it wouldn't work on Friday. Dozens of re-pairings failed. Today I tried multiple times too, but just an hour ago I tried and it repaired fine and is working again. I hope it was all a fluke.

Also, left the screen up over the weekend. I'm in MI and it's been weirdly hot (90+). Also was parked pointed into the sun. This was the result. Dangit.

Might be time to go to the rubber bands...

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Might be time to go to the rubber bands...
Never!
Just need to leave the truck run 24x7 to have AC. Haha. Or take it down.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 06:30 PM   #23

Please send stl files so I can make this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeblank View Post
This probably isn't really worth a dedicated thread, but I have a few pictures to post with it (I went overboard).

I have a 2306 with the obligatory Furrion backup camera. Even though my truck has navigation, I prefer my garmin. I also have a second mirror to see the kiddo (soon to be 2 kiddos!). So I have plenty of things to suction cup to my windshield. I actually ran with the Furrion screen near my radio, suctioned to the "wood" trim in my fancy-pants Denali. It worked, but looked hokey. I wanted to mount it above my rear view mirror somehow, but the antenna would have to be relocated and even then I'm not sure.

Then it dawned on me. The camera effectively *is* my rear view mirror. I'll mount it on there. It reduces the clutter and puts it where I'm used to looking. I suppose it's probably somehow "illegal", but practically speaking, the function is the same/there.

I also plan to pull down the roof console and tap (hopefully) keyed power for both the display and the GPS. This cord fits the display (but it's not 5v, so I will cut off the usb bit) http://a.co/2SnoORw and then this cord for my Garmin http://a.co/7LBD42t. I always put the garmin just below the mirror anyway. There is a little plastic cord cover that can cover these as well. I'll just have a short pigtail behind the mirror when not in use.

So, I used solidworks to design:

borrowed a 3d printer (it's from Moniprice (https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13860), one is on my christmas list now):

sanded, glued together, and applied some adhesive backed felt

and it fits (I did do some paper printout templates to try to make sure)

I'll share the stl files if anybody wants. I'm not really sure where to put 'em. It's in a 2014 GMC Sierra HD (with onstar/auto dimming mirror). No idea what else it would fit. There were some minor issues with the way the screen fit, but I think I addressed those (but I didn't re-print it). It blocks the mirror buttons (that I don't use), but if I moved it "up" to clear the buttons, you wouldn't be able to get it on/off easily with the ceiling right there.

Guess that's it. Flame or praise away.
Just wondering if you still have the stl files to 3D print the Furrion rear view mirror mount. It's exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance if you can email them to me.

David3219
David3219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 12:54 PM   #24

This is exactly what I have been trying to come up with. I would love a copy of your stl file if you still it. What material did you print with? I've had good luck with PETG so far and have some carbon fiber PLA due in tomorrow that may work.
OtPot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:06 PM   #25

3d furrion mirror mount files

code I get a copy of you 3d furrion mirror mount files?
RedMandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 07:37 PM   #26

It's on thingiverse. I shared it with someone who posted it, with permission. You can probably find it as fast as I can.
aeblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 01:50 PM   #27
AlBab

mounting screen to rearview mirror

I did this same thing by modifying some old sheet metal I had laying around. My LCD screen is larger/heavier than the Furrion screen and that caused some issues I haven't been able to resolve. The weight of the screen causes the rearview mirror to droop over a few miles. The ball/socket for the mirror just isn't tight enough to hold the weight (and it has loosened up over time). My screen is a full 7" and thus rather heavy. (the metal bracket I fashioned is NOT heavy but probably a little heavier than you 3D plastic piece.)

I loved the idea and it worked great when I first used it but had to give it up as I was frustrated by needing to readjust it every 10 miles or so. I got one of the heavy pads that sits on the dash and used the suction cup arm that came with the monitor. That works well.

I agree with the sentiment that I was happy to take the chance with the rearview mount being "illegal" and being able to explain to a trooper or even a judge about how it was safer than windshield mount.

Good luck with the modification and I hope you don't experience the sagging mirror syndrome.

If anyone knows how to tighten the ball/socket thing I'd be all ears.

Safe Travels - camping season is just around the corner!!!
AlBab930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 09:49 PM   #28

ProClip makes a mount, you’ll need your vehicle specific mounting solution to go along with it

https://www.proclipusa.com/collections/furrion
2017 Heartland Cyclone 3800
2016 Ford F350 6.7 DRW
B&W Companion
pjones1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:46 AM   #29

I used a sheet of plexiglass, cut the width of my rearview mirror, height of my backup screen. Drilled holes and used screws to attach camera to plexiglass. Used gorilla glue to attach a second piece of plexiglass, to cover/countersink screw heads (drilled holes in case I needed to remove). Covered the entire back with 'soft' side of velcro to protect mirror, and added velcro loops on each end to hang on mirror. Actually soaked the top of each loop with glue to stiffen and it stays in place pretty well, doesn't sag or pull on mirror so far.. Been using it for a couple years now.
eastToWestBulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mount