Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #1

Gas struts for storage doors

Someone put gas struts on their storage doors, but I can not find the thread. Help!!!!
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by f150k View Post
Someone put gas struts on their storage doors, but I can not find the thread. Help!!!!
Oct.17 2112 Old Coot. Door Struts Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Forest River Forums - OldCoot's Album: Gas Struts on storage doors
Old 04-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
10x

I was wondering where you can buy gas struts for inside overhead cabinets. I had a KZ that had them and held the door open.
10x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10x View Post
I was wondering where you can buy gas struts for inside overhead cabinets. I had a KZ that had them and held the door open.
Don't think you want gas struts, maybe spring struts. My Flagstaff 8528RKWS has them, so you might contact FR parts dept.

Here is also a possibility. http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-70...net+door+strut
Old 04-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Don't think you want gas struts, maybe spring struts. My Flagstaff 8528RKWS has them, so you might contact FR parts dept.

Here is also a possibility. JR Products 70555 Plastic Cabinet Door Strut : Amazon.com : Automotive
Camping world also has them. Do you have any directions on how to install them? I was wondering about the angles and how you figure out where to mount them.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Camping world also has them. Do you have any directions on how to install them? I was wondering about the angles and how you figure out where to mount them.
If CRS doesn't kick in, I will measure mine in the morning before I take it in for new tires. PM me in the morning.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Strut side anchor is on the door 1-1/2" down from hinge. Cabinet end of strut in 5-3/4" down from hinge. Struts are mounted upside down, big tube on strut is up, rod end is down.
Old 04-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
10x

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Strut side anchor is on the door 1-1/2" down from hinge. Cabinet end of strut in 5-3/4" down from hinge. Struts are mounted upside down, big tube on strut is up, rod end is down.
Thank you sir!
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #10

What length is the strut, and is there different sizes?
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
What length is the strut, and is there different sizes?
For cabinet doors
JR Products 70555 Plastic Cabinet Door Strut : Amazon.com : Automotive

Suspra pdf for storage doors
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suspa Gas Cylinders series16web2010.pdf (1.93 MB, 68 views)
Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM   #12

I wouldn't put gas struts on my outside storage doors, as they aren't very strong at all. Using the supplied latches is much easier than fixing or replacing wrecked doors.
But each to their own.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakken View Post
I wouldn't put gas struts on my outside storage doors, as they aren't very strong at all. Using the supplied latches is much easier than fixing or replacing wrecked doors.
But each to their own.
And what makes the struts wreck the doors? There is reinforcement where the struts attach to the doors and all the struts do is hold the doors open. I put 2 on each of 3 doors and they work just fine.
Like you said, "But each to their own."
Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 PM   #14

OC,
I was just expressing my opinion.
I'll take the advice in your quote.
Be well.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #15

OldCoot, where did you buy the struts you used for the outside storage doors? What kind of material did you use for the reinforcement plates you made? It looks like you used rivets to attach the reinforcement plates if I am seeing correctly. Looks like the struts are easy to find, but the pressure and the length are what I am most curious about I know that depending on my doors being larger or smaller, I may want a different strut, just looking for a starting place. Thanks for your advice.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
OldCoot, where did you buy the struts you used for the outside storage doors? What kind of material did you use for the reinforcement plates you made? It looks like you used rivets to attach the reinforcement plates if I am seeing correctly. Looks like the struts are easy to find, but the pressure and the length are what I am most curious about I know that depending on my doors being larger or smaller, I may want a different strut, just looking for a starting place. Thanks for your advice.
Got the struts on Ebay a couple of yrs ago. They are Suspa C16-09786 30# cylinders. I used 1/8" alum plate and pop riveted to door. The location and height of anchor point is a major consideration in determining whether it will lift the door. With (2) 30# cylinders, it will lift any door on a light wt FR product if you get the right height on the door anchor. The struts I used have an extended length of 19.7 and compressed length of 11.8
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Suspa Gas Cylinders series16web2010.pdf (1.93 MB, 55 views)