Old 06-24-2014, 05:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
My last camper with an onboard gennie, was a 95 Jayco Class C. I didn't have to do anything, but start the gennie from the switch that was by the range hood. If they have changed things, then I'm not aware of how they are set up nowadays. Having to run a cord, from an onboard gennie to a receptacle to make it work, would seem to indicate technology has gone backwards, or they have cheapened the way they do things. Certainly possible.
That's the way most economical Class A's did it. You plug your shore power cable into the Gen Recept. when shore power wasn't available. Seems they are still doing it that way in the smaller A's.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
That's the way most economical Class A's did it. You plug your shore power cable into the Gen Recept. when shore power wasn't available. Seems they are still doing it that way in the smaller A's.
If this is the way "Lufkin's" is done, then he may have a fuel delivery problem as mentioned.

Old 06-25-2014, 11:28 AM   #13

Yesterday when I got home I check to see if the rv has I transfer switch. The rv does not have one. So I turn off all my breakers at the inverter. I then plugged the power cord to the 30 amp receptacle. I started the generator and it stayed running this time. I left it running and went inside to the converter box and started to power the breakers back on. When I turn the water heater breaker on the generator shut down. I turned the water heater breaker off and powered the generator back on with all breakers on except the water heater breaker. The generator stayed running and I had power to the appliances except of course the water heater. Could this be a wiring issue? I am dealing with A Sun Seeker that has been sitting up for a while. 2005 model with 20k miles. thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufkin View Post
Yesterday when I got home I check to see if the rv has I transfer switch. The rv does not have one. So I turn off all my breakers at the inverter. I then plugged the power cord to the 30 amp receptacle. I started the generator and it stayed running this time. I left it running and went inside to the converter box and started to power the breakers back on. When I turn the water heater breaker on the generator shut down. I turned the water heater breaker off and powered the generator back on with all breakers on except the water heater breaker. The generator stayed running and I had power to the appliances except of course the water heater. Could this be a wiring issue? I am dealing with A Sun Seeker that has been sitting up for a while. 2005 model with 20k miles. thanks
Sounds like you may have the electric heating element burned out in the water heater. If it's a Suburban brand water heater, check this FAQ out to see the switch for the electric heating elements location, and see if it's on currently.

Suburban's electric switch and much more

The elements burn out almost immediately when the electric element is on, and there is no water in the heater. It happens a lot, and depending on how the element burns out, it can trip/overload the breakers....as explained in the FAQ. Just something to check out in case.

Even if the electric heating element is burned up, you can make sure the black switch is off and/or the breaker.... and still use the water heater on propane (if equipped). You press in the switch word for what you need (ex: push in the word "off" to turn it off)

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #15

When you switched on the other breakers, where there any appliances turned on? for instance, did you try to start the A/C or the Fridge? Water heater likely starts as soon as you switch the breaker on, so there is an immediate load.

Just wondering if the generator can't handle a load or if the Water heater has an issue.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #16

If the gennie has been sitting for a spell, and nobody has run it regularly, it may need some work. I was supposed to run mine once a month for 30 minutes under a load, to keep it working properly. It may be idling fine, but can't get the fuel it needs to operate under a load.

To see if it is the gennie, and not the water heater, you could start the generator with the Heater off, and then turn the fridge on, and plug in a shop vac to one of the inside outlets and turn it on. That would create an immediate load on the gennie. If the gennie handles that, then it may be the element in the water heater causing a short.

If the water heater has water in it, and the element is fine, then you'll probably have to take it somewhere, and have it looked at. A decent small engine shop that works on gennies, or your local RV dealership. We have a really good generator shop here in Pensacola, that works on a lot of RV gennies.

Sorry to give you the bum steer yesterday. I didn't realize they had them set up to where you had to plug the camper into the gennie.

Tags
generator