Old 07-01-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

Talking Generator Rack / Cargo Carrier hitch for Surveyor sv264

Hello. New to this forum. We just bought but have not taken delivery of a 2011 Surveyor sv264. I'm investigating how I can mount either a cargo carrier hitch or deck on the back of the TT to carry one or two small generators with gas can. Generators will Yamaha EF series generators; either 2 2000Watt Yamahas, 1 or 2 2400watt Yamaha, or one 3000watt Yamaha. Anyone have any suggestions or pictures that they can offer to give me some ideas or help? Appreciate everyone replies in advance.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #2

The rear bumper isn't designed to carry much weight.
Generator racks have been installed on the rear of travel trailers with some modifications. I believe installing a quality receiver hitch, attached to the frame itself, is the safest way to have it done.

Check out the links below to see how some have achieved this.

Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: hitch/carrier on rear of TT

Mounting my Generator - Maintenance, Batteries, Trailer Tires & Equipment - Message Board - Northwood RV Owners Association

RV Bumper Mount Cargo Carrier | ModMyRV

Old 07-01-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have the sister ship....the SV263. For every 40 lbs. added to the rear bumper, it takes 15 lbs. off of the tongue weight. My Yamaha EF2400 weighs ~80 lbs. so 2 of those puppies are going to take 60 lbs. off of the tongue.....manageable if you already have a heavy tongue weight. But, the measurement that I have are at the bumper. When you go hanging stuff further out, then those figures are going to be more.

Even though those models seem to have very stout bumpers, I would not rely on them with that much weight. Some frame mounted carrier would be a must.

Then you have the legal aspects. In Virginia, if something extends 2' beyond the structure of a vehicle, you need red flags during the day, and red flashing lights at nite.

Keeping all of this in mind, if it were me I would be looking at other alternatives.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I have the sister ship....the SV263. For every 40 lbs. added to the rear bumper, it takes 15 lbs. off of the tongue weight. My Yamaha EF2400 weighs ~80 lbs. so 2 of those puppies are going to take 60 lbs. off of the tongue.....manageable if you already have a heavy tongue weight. But, the measurement that I have are at the bumper. When you go hanging stuff further out, then those figures are going to be more.

Even though those models seem to have very stout bumpers, I would not rely on them with that much weight. Some frame mounted carrier would be a must.

Then you have the legal aspects. In Virginia, if something extends 2' beyond the structure of a vehicle, you need red flags during the day, and red flashing lights at nite.

Keeping all of this in mind, if it were me I would be looking at other alternatives.
Thanks Mtnguy for your comments. Currious, how do you carry your Yamaha Generator.....in the back of your vehicle?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspartan View Post
Thanks Mtnguy for your comments. Currious, how do you carry your Yamaha Generator.....in the back of your vehicle?
My generator lives in the back of my truck, pretty much all summer.......that puppy is too heavy to be loading and unloading. I do keep it in the front of the bed for good weight distributing while towing. While camping, I will move it to the back of the bed on the passenger side, where it will stay until I am ready to break down camp. In this position, I can start and operate the generator, and the exhaust is directed out the back......plus I don't have to keep moving it........did I mention it was heavy.

Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #6

Mtn Guy

Do you run the genny while hooked up to the camper? I ask because I am "deathly" afraid of carbon monoxide. I understand that it can get into a camper somehow/unexplained so I would be concerned about the exhaust coming out pointed toward my unit. I want to get the genny at least 20 feet from the camper.
Am I being too careful????
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I don't think I have ever run my generator while hooked up. But I have run it while about 10' from the camper. But if I find myself in a Walmart parking lot needed to use the generator, I think I would use it while hooked up. I do close windows on whatever side that is close to the generator.

I hope I am not too lax with the possible CO problem. Your 20' rule seems to be a good one.....I don't think you are being too careful. Maybe I should be more careful. I figure at even 10' with the exhaust pointed towards the camper, there should be enough air currents to dissipate the CO concentration, and with the windows closed on that side there should be little infiltration into the camper.

Also, check your CO detector regularly.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:36 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Back of pickup

My Yamaha 3000 SEiB also lives in the back of my pickup. I made a covered box with a kevlar (Teflon Backed for waterproofing) top and sides. (Don't ask where the material came from - Classified )

Used Aluiminum angle for the frame and a wood base.
I glued and used pop rivets to hold velcro strips in place to allow maintenance access to all four sides. There is a door on the exhaust side to allow it to be run covered.

The cover was originally designed to be mounted on our crappy bumpers till I found out I could not. It was too heavy to ever be mounted there.

I know...

Will work on that.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
My Yamaha 3000 SEiB also lives in the back of my pickup. I made a covered box with a kevlar (Teflon Backed for waterproofing) top and sides. (Don't ask where the material came from - Classified )
Man, that is what you can call bullet-proof.

I only have a tonneau cover keeping the weather and roaming eyes from my generator.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

I wanted to run the thing in the rain.

BIG warning in the manual about that.
I made a cover out of plastic sign material when I was in Key West last winter. (cold rain constantly - but another story).

Can't run it with the Pickup cover on.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote