Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #1

Getting outdoor kitchen hatch to open more

Hello all. Our outdoor kitchen door doesn’t open enough. It’s a head badger for sure. Is there a way to adjust the struts to open more? Thanks!
bob48183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:13 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum its a great place to get your questions answered. I'm sure someone on the forum has made a mod for what you are asking.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:27 PM   #3

Some pics or model information would be helpful. If door shock hod it open, and are stopping it from opening as much as you'd like, you could consider removing those and latch the door all the way open like most other access doors on a camper, assuming nothing else gets in the way like a window or awing arm.

Hooe that helps.
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #4

Thanks! It’s a 28’ Grey Wolf I’ll have to look for the model number.

I thought of the old style latch but it’s a big heavy hatch so it’s be hard to lift that far and I would trust the latch to hold.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
Some pics or model information would be helpful. If door shock hod it open, and are stopping it from opening as much as you'd like, you could consider removing those and latch the door all the way open like most other access doors on a camper, assuming nothing else gets in the way like a window or awing arm.

Hooe that helps.
Definitely need more info.

On mine I have to stretch some to reach the edge to pull mine down and I'm 5-11" so not exactly "vertically challenged". Even my 6'-4" Son has no issues with the O/S kitchen door on my TT.

Could possibly be that gas struts are not proper ones and aren't lifting high enough. I'd be interested in whether or not the rod is fully pushed into the cylinder when door is down. If not it could be merely a wrong install of the lower bracket and when door is open the piston is bottoming out before door is fully open.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

Yeah the rod is fully in except maybe 1/4” when full shut. The doors about 62” wide x 44” tall. It’s open position is about 5’8” up from ground level.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob48183 View Post
Yeah the rod is fully in except maybe 1/4” when full shut. The doors about 62” wide x 44” tall. It’s open position is about 5’8” up from ground level.
A longer strut may cure the problem even though you will have to move the lower bracket down to accommodate the longer unit. You will gain height in opening because of the "geometric advantage" due to where the mount is located on the door.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, outdoor kitchen