Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 09:53 AM   #1

Goodbye Dinette, Hello Flexible Space

Since I telecommute 100%, any trip I take with my FE 276RKDS TT involves making a space to work. The dinette was the logical place, but SO uncomfortable. I got a wild hair one afternoon and started removing it. It was shocking how little was actually holding it in...handful of screws.

I used the table saw to cut the table in half, then attached it to the furnace cabinet. That way the monitor can sit up on the cabinet and I can just put my wireless keyboard up there when I need to use the table for actual eating. (I plan to mount the monitor on an adjustable bracket at some point, but I need to work on making the wall strong enough first.) Also added a small Recliner.

The area is so much more flexible. My office chair and the recliner provide more comfortable seating than the dinette, and it's easy to move them around if needed to watch TV. I'm sure this wouldn't work for people that actually use the Dinette, but since it is just me and sometimes my elderly parents it is perfect for me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	0507172054.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	140035
RackOnInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

That setup looks so nice. You can't beat a recliner for comfort. Your new desk area looks functional. That and a few tray tables should be all you need for eating when your folks are with you. I'm sure it feels more open and roomier than it did with the dinette too.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:31 PM   #3

I really like the way you did that space. We have to keep ours because 2 of our grown children use it as a bed. (U shaped dinette). Do you have a picture before you took out the table? Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:51 PM   #4

This is a photo from a dealers website not the actual space, but it is basically the same. My TV was mounted higher on the wall than in this picture which made it easier. This definitely wouldn't work for people with kids and grandkids that use the Dinette for sleeping space, but you could probably figure out something out that works better than the Dinette.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5733b1d3cc9f3f98638f71db.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	140066
Old 06-04-2017, 01:04 PM   #5

Also in case anyone was wondering, the other side of the TT from this is a deep couch slide, so when the slide is in the chairs don't have a great deal of room to move around when in motion. I lay the office chair on its side with a pillow bungied to the legs just in case. The recliner doesn't move much, but I plan to get some tie down rings installed soon so I can really secure them just in case though. The recliner is a Lazy Boy I got for $299. It has the removable back and is surprisingly lightweight. I was able to get it into the unit with no trouble by myself and it also fits into the back seat of my Super Crew F150 with a little coaxing if I should need to take it out while on the road.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:01 PM   #6

I can't believe that it took 2 years and 100 camping days for me to realize that the dinette table and cushions are a waste of space in my A-Frame. I camp alone, so no need for extra bed space.

Currently working on a design to put effective storage in the area.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
I can't believe that it took 2 years and 100 camping days for me to realize that the dinette table and cushions are a waste of space in my A-Frame. I camp alone, so no need for extra bed space.

Currently working on a design to put effective storage in the area.
Congrats on that realization! I'm sure you will be able to create a much more usable space! I made a "trade" on the storage space since I gave up the under seat storage, but I gained the overhead cabinets I couldn't reach before. I may yet take those down and do something different there like put in a wider door so I can load my Cricket mini golf cart in the trailer instead of the truck bed. (Not being able to get the golf cart off until you drop the trailer is a pain and I really don't want to hang it off the back.) That is a lot more involved though so a while down the road.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RackOnInNC View Post
Since I telecommute 100%, any trip I take with my FE 276RKDS TT involves making a space to work. The dinette was the logical place, but SO uncomfortable. I got a wild hair one afternoon and started removing it. It was shocking how little was actually holding it in...handful of screws.

I used the table saw to cut the table in half, then attached it to the furnace cabinet. That way the monitor can sit up on the cabinet and I can just put my wireless keyboard up there when I need to use the table for actual eating. (I plan to mount the monitor on an adjustable bracket at some point, but I need to work on making the wall strong enough first.) Also added a small Recliner.

The area is so much more flexible. My office chair and the recliner provide more comfortable seating than the dinette, and it's easy to move them around if needed to watch TV. I'm sure this wouldn't work for people that actually use the Dinette, but since it is just me and sometimes my elderly parents it is perfect for me!

Attachment 140035
Looks great, period. If you ever wanted, you could mount the 'desk' on hinges and add a swing out support leg underneath. That way you could fold it down when not needed for work or eating at. Just a thought ~

edit : Welcome to the world of modding ~ LOL!!
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Looks great, period. If you ever wanted, you could mount the 'desk' on hinges and add a swing out support leg underneath. That way you could fold it down when not needed for work or eating at. Just a thought ~

edit : Welcome to the world of modding ~ LOL!!
Thanks! I actually did consider the flip up table idea, but decided that I was pretty much always going to want the table up either for work or personal computer, eating or just a place to set something down. I can always go back and do that later, but so far it pretty much always has something on it ! [emoji1] (I also have the other half of the table I may do that with somewhere else)
Old 06-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #10

Use TV as monitor

Not sure where your TV is in relation to the work area but you could use an HDMI cable to connect your computer to your TV to use as a monitor.
bentbev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbev View Post
Not sure where your TV is in relation to the work area but you could use an HDMI cable to connect your computer to your TV to use as a monitor.
Thanks. TV is too high ATM. I need to do some work on the wall because there just isn't anything to attach to below where it is currently attached. My plan is to cut out that section of "wall" and do some work rerouting the outlet there and shoring up the wall before I do anything else.
Old 06-09-2017, 09:56 AM   #12

Nice job RackOnIn.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Nice job RackOnIn.
Thanks. It's amazing how little was holding down the dinette!