Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #21

Purchased two. First failed and folded down from bumper. They sent another. Did same thing. Luckily It did not damage my Honda generators. Had two on it at about fifty pounds each. Load limit was 200 pounds. Very embarrassing. Raining the second time.
ronphill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 07:50 PM   #22

Not recommended had one failure with two Honda generators on it. They sent another and it failed. Folded down from bumper. Luckily it did not damage my generators. Weight limit was 200lb. Generators weighed about 50lb each.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 PM   #23

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...post&p=1981912
Old 11-29-2018, 09:58 PM   #24
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronphill View Post
Bad link...not working!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #25

Saw this at Walmart today...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181129_112314687.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	192391  
Old 11-29-2018, 11:06 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Scary from my vantage point to put weight out there where every bump is magnified by the (wait for it, a pilot's weight and balance term I have not used in years) MOMENT. Or in other words the distance from axle to bumper means that two inch bump from a pot hole at the axle slings the back bumper six or eight inches in the air. One of our balloon group was carrying an eighty or one hundred pound inflation fan on a similar rack when the lashings (one inch ratcheting cargo straps) gave way and the fan was not missed until 100 miles later at arrival. Fortunately the truck behind them was another balloon pilot who saw it and picked up enough pieces to rebuild the $1800 fan.

Me not a fan of bouncing things back there except as a last resort.

Good luck.
I understand the term "moment" well. When installed the front edge of the cargo carrier's deck will be 6" ahead of the rear edge of the bumper. My Generator is 18" wide so it will be extending beyond the edge of the bumper by 12". Generator (inverter type) weighs about 120 filled with fuel. the approximate torque on the bumper will be around 60 ft/lbs. (or less). That's less than what is on the bumper with the spare tire and mount.

As for securing things with ratchet straps, I like to use several for redundancy and also make sure that the straps don't pass over any sharp edges.

A note: One important thing for all to be aware of. While carriers and struts like these are available be careful. The frame itself has limitations. It's not designed to carry huge weights behind the springs.

Beefing up the bumper is like putting tires with higher load ratings on. Still haven't increased the capacity of the axles (or frame for that matter).

When mine arrives and I get it installed I'll give it a test. I weigh just under 200# and if I can't jump on it without it behaving like a diving board I'll just return it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:53 AM   #27
ENE

I choosed to have 2 smaller generators I can easily then to have one big heavy gen I can't carry. My small gens equal 2X2000watts, I can used them around the yard where I don't have a power outlet available. I can take one gen with me in the trailer storage if I know I won't need AC. My back is still in good shape.
ENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #28

I built my own

I built my own. I still have most of the parts after I purchased an RV. Send PM if interested for purchase at way below cost of just the materials - pure aluminum. FYI, I manufactured the new spare tire relocation attachment to make room for the Gen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ttssm.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	192407   Click image for larger version

Name:	ttssm2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	192408  
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 03:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENE View Post
I choosed to have 2 smaller generators I can easily then to have one big heavy gen I can't carry. My small gens equal 2X2000watts, I can used them around the yard where I don't have a power outlet available. I can take one gen with me in the trailer storage if I know I won't need AC. My back is still in good shape.
I feel fortunate. I'm 32 days from turning 76 and can still lift my 120 pound Champion Inverter into the back of my truck. My back still feels great too. When I was a kid on the farm I learned to use my legs to lift, not my back.

It does take a couple of steps when lifting though. First lift onto a milk crate, reset grip and lift to two crates. Final lift by grasping at bottom of unit and again with legs only just lift to truck tailgate.

Platform on rear of TT will only require one milk crate.

FWIW, people who bend over to lift even 50# items will eventually have back issues. Beware because it can happen without notice and when it does life will become very uncomfortable.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:33 PM   #30

Send a message via Yahoo to ModMyRV
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1892023
- 2019 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB 4x4 Dually 4:10 6.7
- Anderson Ultimate hitch and B&W hitch plate
ModMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModMyRV View Post
Yes, I do have a crane. Can't use sometimes but can still lift gen when I have to. Kind of proud that I still have the ability, especially after bypass surgery 13 months ago and have worked hard on my own to rehab.

Also proud of fact I am only 6# heavier than day I separated from Army (and only 2" larger belt length).
Old 11-30-2018, 05:54 PM   #32
ENE

Why not install a winch on there garage ceiling and use it to lift gen in and out of truck bed?
Old 11-30-2018, 06:06 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENE View Post
Why not install a winch on there garage ceiling and use it to lift gen in and out of truck bed?
Maybe I will when I can no longer lift the generator when crane is not an option.

As for having two generators, for me it's just twice as much work to maintain, refuel, and keep track of. One does the job just fine.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:24 PM   #34
ENE

I believe one of the biggest expense for gens is the fuel. A Honda 2000 uses 1 gal of gas and will run 8 hours. Other gens will use w or 4 times more gas for the same hours.
Over time the gas you spent on a cheaper gen ended up costing you more.
Sorry off subject.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #35

With the Honda 2000 you can change the gas cap and use a 6 gallon boat gas tank with a hose to the new gas cap that gives you 7 gallons. Approximately 56 hour of run time without refueling.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:28 PM   #36
ENE

Yep did that too.
Old 12-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #37

With my Champion Dual Fuel I can hook it to a 100# propane tank and run it for over 75 hours --- If I wanted to go to that extreme.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
With my Champion Dual Fuel I can hook it to a 100# propane tank and run it for over 75 hours --- If I wanted to go to that extreme.
If you were boondocking out in the desert for more than a couple of days...that would be the way to go!

Old 12-01-2018, 08:44 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
I feel fortunate. I'm 32 days from turning 76 and can still lift my 120 pound Champion Inverter into the back of my truck. My back still feels great too. When I was a kid on the farm I learned to use my legs to lift, not my back.

It does take a couple of steps when lifting though. First lift onto a milk crate, reset grip and lift to two crates. Final lift by grasping at bottom of unit and again with legs only just lift to truck tailgate.

Platform on rear of TT will only require one milk crate.

FWIW, people who bend over to lift even 50# items will eventually have back issues. Beware because it can happen without notice and when it does life will become very uncomfortable.
This world need more people like you.
My hat is off to you. Reminds me of my grandpa, WW2 VET who has passed away.
Anytime I thought he needed help picking something up he’d look at me and say.
“Son, The only time anyone would ever help me pick something up. They will be picking up my casket.” It was my honor to be one of his pallbearers.
I miss him so much.
Mslaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #40

TitanMike, I’ll throw in what I have learned in my adventure with “the rack”. In my first unsuccessful version. I welded 2 pieces of 1 1/2 angle (bed frame) to the bottom of the bumper. At the place where the bumper was welded to the frame on the inside I welded an 8 inch piece of 1” by 2” square tubing, tieing the bumper, the frame and my reinforcements together with the square tube. Then we welded a 2” receiver designed to be bolted to a pickup step step bumper to the center. Then I attached a Harbor Freight “hitch haul” made of steel. After putting in extra bolts on the receiver to stop the wobble, I put exactly 200 pounds of firewood on it as a test load. Then we took off for a big trip. 385 miles later I had a sagging hitch haul and partially tore the angle off the bumper. I came up with a better design when I got home! I can tell you this for sure,
THE BUMPER DID NOT FAIL! Neither did the welds to the frame. If I were doing what you are planning, I would double the safety struts with one on each side of the frame through bolted together. This would take the load off the self tapping bolts included with the struts. Like you planned I would mount the generator on the tray as close as possible to the back of the camper so the weight of the generator hangs as far forward as possible reducing the MOMENT. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote