Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Question Heated Toilet Seat??

OK, maybe the height of decadence but has anyone ever installed a heated toilet seat in their RV? The better half is always complaining about a cold toilet seat especially when we go camping during the 'shoulder seasons' of early spring or late fall.

I found this site after a little google-ing:
http://www.heatedtoiletseat.com/

and I sent an email to the place asking if they knew of anyone installing this in an RV and asking how much power it used. I got a response fairly quickly (see below) and basically he said he did not know of anyone using it in that way, but as long as the mounting studs are in the right place, it should work. Interesting point was that he said the output of the transformer that powers it is 12VAC at about 1 amp. But he also said, and it says on their website, that it can be connected to an automotive battery. So perhaps it doesn't care if the power is DC or AC... just a heating element, I guess.

I would connect it to the 12VDC system in the trailer (without the transformer) and I would think it should have, at least, a switch so I could turn it off when I wanted... perhaps a timer? not sure.

Looks like the cost is about $100

Any comments?

From the company:
"Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I haven’t heard anything one way or the other as far as installing a seat in an RV. As long as the screw spacing matches you should not have a problem at all though. As far as power usage, I have included some information below that I think should help. If they do not answer your question please let me know.

Standard transformer supplied with heated seat:
Input: 120VAC 60Hz 12W
Output: 12VAC @ 1A
One time use internal fuse"

cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Explorer

My parents have a fancy heated seat with bidet(shower). They had one in their first camper with no problems just fit right in. With their new camper they didn’t measure well and “we” had to move a wall to fit it in(anything for mom). Once you have one, I guess, you can’t live without it. Parent’s needs a water supply and power( 120) to get theirs in, I don’t know if it runs off the inverter or if they just ruff-it when not plugged-in or geni running. They’re full timers living the good life and enjoy every minute
Sorry I don’t have the brand but I could easily get it
We have one in our house and maybe when we go full time we’ll put one in, it sure is nice on those cold mornings.
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #3

My first question would be what type of toilet do you have in the trailer? Does is have a standard residential toilet seat? You might have to replace the RV toilet with a residential toilet so the new heated seat will work.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #4

Good point about the size... I'm not sure if it's a 'standard residential' size. It is porcelain and the stud holes in the back appear to be the same as the heated seat... I guess that's the first thing I'll have to check out, perhaps take a standard non-heated seat and see if it fits. After that I'll have to look into the electric part.

I was just wondering if anyone had ever done it and if it was worth the trouble.

thanks!
cachencouple is offline   Reply With Quote