Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #1

Hello

I'm new to this forum, so I just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I've got a 07 Sierra 305RLW, I really like it, the floorplan is just perfect for me. I use my 5er when I work out of town, I work construction so after a long day working outside it's great to come home to a comfortable place and just relax!
This is the third winter I've spent in my trailer, 2 in northern Mo and 1 in western Ill. So as you can guess I've had my share of winter camping woes. Frozen water lines, electric heaters, and yes, running out of propane at midnight!!!! OMG what a nightmare!!! I've learned alot, skirting is a must, heat tapes and insulation in the city water line, a 100# propane bottle, gonna add another next year. The Sierra is pretty nice for a mid-entry level unit, but there's always room for improvement. Here's what I'm thinkin'.
The floor in that thing feels like an ice rink. Gonna pull the underbelly off and do some insulation there, either the spray on expanding foam or the sheets of 2" stuff. Maybe a combo of both, while I'm under there tank heaters and wraping anything that I can with foam tape. Also inside the basement taking down the wall in there to access more of the water lines, drains, vents. Also want to beef up the city water connection, it just feels flimsy, don't want to be out there in a blizzard and have that thing come apart!!! Also a couple more elec. outlets on there own circuit for heaters.
Any suggestions, info, or comments on these mods. or ideas for others would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Kirk
KirkwoodinLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

to FRF. It sounds like you've covered all the bases. Be careful not to add too many individual circuits for electric heaters. You don't want to over tax the panel or wire running to your power source. Best wishes, keep warm!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #3

Thanks, Ive only got 4 more years til I can retire and become a fulltimer. Then I can winterize like the rest of you lucky folks. Point that thing south and don't stop til it's sandals and shorts temps. Can't wait!!!!!
Old 02-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Sorry to say, but we are "Snow Birding" in Key West and no sandles or shorts here yet. Watching the night shuttle launch was the coldest night of my life as we froze in lawn chairs at the Kennedy Space Center. I think we wore everything we packed in the camper. Hope it does warm up soon. My jeans will be walking around by themselves soon. (LOL - Just kidding). No Pina Coladas yet, just Irish Coffees <smile>
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 AM   #5

Irish coffee.....Mmmmmm!!!!