Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 07:48 AM   #41

My wife broke her ankle years ago,,, I came home from work one day and she was trying to mop the kitchen floor in a desk chair with wheels !!!
Of course there is arthritis in that ankle now !!!
Ain't life grand sometimes ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:00 PM   #42
Site Team

I had a handle installed on the interior left side of the door. It helps to have something to hold onto when I'm exiting especially if I'm carrying something. I'm surprised how much I do use it.

The handle is just like the one in the picture below but different color.

Name:   Capture handle.PNG
Views: 192
Size:  108.2 KB

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:05 PM   #43

We have the port a step system (post #18) for our dogs. It was pricey but once set up at the site it's very stable. the handrails might need some beefing up to hold your wife's full weight but we like ours very much. One person can set up and take down the steps (and deck, which we also bought). Its a very nice system and we're glad we decided to get it. The deck makes it easy to open or close/lock the door when your arms are full of stuff, the stairs are wider and more stable than the steps on the tt, and one accident (broken leg for our dogs) would cost more than the deck and stairs. Good luck and I hope your wife heals up quickly. Cincia

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:58 AM   #44

Port a Steps look ok,,, but hand rail looks like junk !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:16 AM   #45

Not sure how much support on hand rail you need. DW was on walker at one time and managed to get in and out of tt for one trip okay. I did clamp the portable steps to the tt steps for a couple of trips. Another option would be run a couple of bolts through top step of tt steps and portable steps. The fact they rest on the ground make them very stable. As far as handrail, DW has all the support she needs. The extra step, reducing the rise between steps also helps. Steps have worked on two tt for us over four years. Lots of luck finding a better setup in you travels.
Days camped in FR 2011-12 = 77, 13-14 = 98, 15-16 = 129
17 = 81, 18 = 44, 19 = 83, 20= 45, 21 = 76, 22 = 57, 23 = 42
Retired :
satdog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 AM   #46

Checked out the MOR/RYDE steps (morryde.com). Look real sturdy and can get a handrail option or I could probably adapt some sturdy portable rails to these steps. Am going to wait and see though. Doctor said wife can start putting weight on her foot in June with therapy. If she can put weight on it (and it IS healing) we may not need anything extra, just me helping support as needed going up and down steps. Planning on a short camping trip in June so we will see how it goes, but first with practice at home getting in and out of our 5th wheel.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #47

Bad Foot!!!!

If you go seasonal you can build a set of wood steps with hand rails.....

A good friend broke her foot and her husband built a mobile unit on casters..Height was based on the distance from the ground up to her bent leg. Top was covered with thick foam...OK if you are on pavement which they were..did not use crutches that much
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 12:31 AM   #48

Hopefully the foot is better by now, but there may be other folks who are interested in how I deal with my disabled wife. You'll likely get bored with the whole saga, but the first few paragraphs might offer some ideas on how to manage a mobile disability.
One More Time Around: Big Duck Goes Back to Lake Powell 2015

And with the Wolf Pup, here's a couple things that help.
One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Two Step
One More Time Around: Wolf Pup - Hand Holds
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #49

I have to say I am really impressed! Great ideas with pictures! I think it would be great to have a part of this forum dedicated to helping the handicapped adjust to camping. I especially love your crank lift idea. Very ingenious! My wife is going in two weeks to find if she can start putting weight on her foot. It is nice to have backup ideas in place for camping if she can't.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote