Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #1

Help me with double propane tank holder

I've got a double propane tank holder as shown in the below pics. I'd like to limit tongue weight when two tanks isn't needed (which is 90% of the time). I'm curious if anyone has any ideas on how to get the tank holder to clamp onto just one tank. Seems like I would need some sort of placeholder on the other side for the arm to grab onto.

I already found a stub end connector to make sure no propane leaks out the second tube when not in use.

steamboatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #2

Just use a empty tank.

Sent from my C811 4G using Forest River Forums mobile app
drc343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM   #3

Empty still weighs 20lb. Trying to eliminate all weight possible.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have the same kind of set up on my propane tanks. I find that when I have one tank removed, I can usually still crank down the support to (kind of) hold the remaining tank. It's not as stable but it does seem to prevent the tank from being moved. Mind you, I've never tried to move the TT like this as I only remove the empty tank to go get it filled.

You shouldn't have to worry about capping the one side as the auto change over regulator should only ever engage one tank. I don't have any problems with leaking propane when I remove a tank.

What I'd more concerned with is why you'd want to remove one. From your picture, it appears you've got dual batteries so I'm assuming you plan on doing some boondocking? If so, you should be running your fridge and HW on propane, meaning you'll be burning through those 20 lbs tanks faster than you might think. I always have hookups so I'm only using the propane for cooking and furnace and I've still had to fill each tank twice since I picked up the trailer about a year ago. If you're not boondocking, then you could probably save just as much weight by eliminating a battery as you would by eliminating a propane tank.

Trust me, it really sucks dealing with a cranky family when the furnace quits working at 3 am because you ran out of propane and forgot to open the second tank for the auto change over to switch. And since I've done it twice now, it seems guaranteed to happen in the middle of the night.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Thanks for the concern. I refuse to use hookups and normally am dispersed camping. That said, I have measured my actual propane and battery usage on various trips and feel that I can often get by easily with only one propane tank, especially for a three day weekend trip. Basically I'm looking to free up some weight for other toys on short trips while being able to take two tanks like to Yellowstone.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:51 AM   #6

Just cut a 2x4 or 2x6 piece of lumber to the length needed. Even a piece of 4x4 would work.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

If 20# is a weight concern I'd say you've got bigger problems.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
If 20# is a weight concern I'd say you've got bigger problems.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"

Well, technically tank + propane being eliminated nets him about 35-40 lbs, depending on tank manufacturer, but I generally agree. Either it's not much of a difference, or else you need to eliminate a lot more stuff to make an overall difference. For instance, if I leave the dogs with a babysitter, I can gain about 3 times that weight (90-100 lbs between the two). Eliminate their food, bed, dog toys, leashes, poop bags, etc... Probably another 50 or so lbs. Don't bring the kids? Easily a couple of hundred pounds between kids and all their stuff. Eliminate DW..... ouch, ouch.. Ok, I'll stop.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #9

How about removing the threaded rod, moving the tank to the center, and placing a threaded rod on each side. Get a small section of square alum tube from a home center, drill a hole on each end for the rod, and place the tube thru the tank collar to connect the rods and hold down the tank.

You could also use the old Coleman pop-up version:
http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Fleetwood-Pop-Up-Camper-20-Lbs-Propane-Tank-Hold-Down-Brackets-/141305629117?_trksid=p2054897.l5658
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #10

Seems like a lot of hassle for eliminating 20#'s of empty tank. Can't think of a time in my 40+ years of camping that I've been concerned or stressed over an extra 20#'s on any of my trailer tongues.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:21 PM   #11

I would just cut a 2X4 to the same height as the tank and place it next to the rod.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #12

Almost half of the 20# is transfered to the axles and not to the tongue.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Almost half of the 20# is transfered to the axles and not to the tongue.
Not true, unless the distance from tank to tongue is equal to the distance of tank to axles. While some of the weight will be on the axle, since the tank sits directly on the tongue, the majority of it will be on the tongue. Without pulling up the formulas, I'd guess only a pound or so of that weight actually sits on the axles.
Old 06-13-2014, 01:36 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

If 5.25#(15% of 35#) is going to overload your tongue, you need to maybe remove the spare tire, jack & tire tools from the tow vehicle as 99.999% of the time you don't need it.
Old 06-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #15

Help me with double propane tank holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post
How about removing the threaded rod, moving the tank to the center, and placing a threaded rod on each side. Get a small section of square alum tube from a home center, drill a hole on each end for the rod, and place the tube thru the tank collar to connect the rods and hold down the tank.

http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Coleman-Fleetwood-Pop-Up-Camper-20-Lbs-Propane-Tank-Hold-Down-Brackets-/141305629117?_trksid=p2054897.l5658

^^^^^ I like this idea.

Doesn't really matter why he wants to remove the tank. Just needs a way to help mount the remaining tank.

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #16
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD Guy View Post

My pop-up only ever had 1 propane tank with it. These worked well.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:14 AM   #17

Get a piece of chain link fence top rail pipe,cut it the same length as the height of the propane tank wear the cross bar fits and use it in place of the tank. You may have to add a third notch in the cross bar or widen one of notches to fit the pipe.
09grizzly1
09grizzly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #18
Old Ram Guy

I know this is an old thread but the first thing I thought of was cutting a 2" or maybe 3" piece of PVC pipe to the right height and notching the ends to catch the bracket. Once you tighten the bracket down on the PVC pipe and the other bottle I would think it would hold it fine and weigh very little.

Tags
propane, tank