Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2015, 07:55 AM   #1

Help please: Queen Mattress topper- something super thick and plush

I don't think I've ever slept in a more uncomfortable bed in my life. We took our maiden voyage in our new TT this weekend and my husband ended up in the bunkhouse the 2nd night, while my daughter and I stayed in the front bedroom. Even she said "How do you sleep on this?!" And that's coming from a kid who can sleep anywhere.
I tossed and turned, it's so darn hard. I know we should cough up the money for better mattress but that'll have to wait. What is the best THICK topper you've found that you love, that won't break the bank? We're going back out in two weeks and it's needed before then.

Thanks in advance.
ApexBunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #2

We have used the Perfect Harmony Mattress Topper in both of our units and love it. We have a Sleep Number bed at home and the wife sleeps better in the RV than at home. Of course that is probably helped by the fact that we are camping and not at home.

Perfect Harmony Mattress Topper - Short Queen - Carpenter 31374538639 - Bed Pads & Mattresses - Camping World
2012 Primetime Lacrosse 318 BHS
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #3

Check out IKEA. Ours is very comfortable. Doesn't weigh a lot, they shrink wrap it with the air out. Easily transportable, once you remove the wrap it takes a couple hours to regain its shape and it is covered. It's a honest 6" thick. Approx 300$
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #4

Thank you, I'll take a look.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:27 AM   #5

There is quite a selection at overstock.com
We got a 3" gel memory foam topper from them and it made all the difference in the world. Sometimes they have sales, or you can search the net for coupon codes.
Swampweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 AM   #6

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #7

Reviews are concerning. Keep the reports coming on why you love yours and how long you've had it.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexBunk View Post
I don't think I've ever slept in a more uncomfortable bed in my life. We took our maiden voyage in our new TT this weekend and my husband ended up in the bunkhouse the 2nd night, while my daughter and I stayed in the front bedroom. Even she said "How do you sleep on this?!" And that's coming from a kid who can sleep anywhere.
I tossed and turned, it's so darn hard. I know we should cough up the money for better mattress but that'll have to wait. What is the best THICK topper you've found that you love, that won't break the bank? We're going back out in two weeks and it's needed before then.

Thanks in advance.
M/Foam,now saying that I think back to Our Army days,I never heard 1 guy complain about Beds,now the Cots were another story! Even if we did complain the Sarge would have us go to Supply and Test EVERY Mattress then put them all Back in Supply,then MARCH back to the Barracks,at 4am! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
M/Foam,now saying that I think back to Our Army days,I never heard 1 guy complain about Beds,now the Cots were another story! Even if we did complain the Sarge would have us go to Supply and Test EVERY Mattress then put them all Back in Supply,then MARCH back to the Barracks,at 4am! Youroo!!
I'm not one to easily complain either. I think a sleeping bag on the ground may have been better. I am still feeling it in my neck and back this morning, and I slept well in my home bed yesterday.

I agree that there are bigger things to complain about but I sure can't do that again, and we're hitting the road every chance we get.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #10

I have been using a 3 inch foam topper purchased from Sam's Club. It has been on the mattress for two years and it really solved our problem.
Best,
WA
wellsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:48 AM   #11

We swapped out the mattress in our Berkshire with a Sleep Number air bed, the same as in our home. Also have the same pillows. When we hit the road, it's just like sleeping at home.
fredhardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #12

We put a 4 Inch combo topper from Walmart in our motor home and the comfort is beyond belief. I sleep better in the MH than on our memory foam at home. We paid about $149 for it. They suggest you lay it out flat for 23 to 36 hours to allow it to flatten out. Make sure you put the memory foam side up. I put ours under a quilted mattress cover.
Lexi2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #13

We went to Costco and got a Novafoam Topper. Put it on a king in our Cedar Creek 37BH and it did wonders. I may get one for in the house too.
Mtwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:54 AM   #14

Purchased the Perfect Harmony mattress toppers from Camping World for the bunk beds and the queen bed. Makes a world of difference. Very comfortable.
JudyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #15
Always Learning

We use mattress topper from Kohls and have for the past 3+ years and 300+ nights of camping. Between a sale (Black Friday, maybe) and Kohl's Cash, it went from being a couple of hundred dollar purchase to much less. I think it is a 4" memory foam mattress + pillow top.

It has made it from terrible to OK/bearable. For weekend trips, I would sleep as well as I did at home- likely better. But once you got longer than a long weekend/short week, it isn't enough.

Other than overall comfort, my chief complaint about it is that I get hot on it. I run fairly hot as is and it amplifies that.

Learn To RV: Fixing That Crappy Bed - Mattress Topper

We JUST ordered a Sleep Number bed since we've been living in our RV for the last 4 months. I'm hopeful that'll help.
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

We use a gel topper that we bought at the Goshen Rally two years ago. About $300 I think. Not really thick - maybe 2" but very comfortable. Found something similar at Costco that we use at home too.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #17
ARLO

We have a 2010 Flagstaff 829FKSS and we love the original equipment mattress. Very comfortable without a topper.
rlocicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlocicero View Post
We have a 2010 Flagstaff 829FKSS and we love the original equipment mattress. Very comfortable without a topper.
Consider yourself super lucky. This thing could pass for a rock with plastic wrap. I don't even think it's reasonable to call it a mattress. Love all the tips. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #19

Novaform® ComfortLuxe® Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper

Bought mine at Costco and is comfortable.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #20

We use a 2" memory foam topper that we got from Kohls. Watched sales. Got a $200 one for about $75. Used it for 2 (summer) seasons. Still doing great.

hotzfamily is offline   Reply With Quote