Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #1

Hide-A-Bed sloped

The hide-a-bed in our RV has a significant slope on the platform where the air mattress lies. The part at the back of the couch, next to the wall, is about 4-5 inches lower than the front of the couch. The part that swings out from the front to make the rest of the bed has a couple of inches of plastic spacers where the rail that touches the floor connects to the couch frame. It's as if they raised the front of the frame to accommodate the drawer under it, added spacers to make the room side of the platform level, but then forgot to do anything with the part at the wall.

The first time we used it our guests were very uncomfortable and we ended up making the part at the wall the foot of the bed. That wasn't ideal and I like it the other way.

When used as a sofa, the back of the seat seems right. I doubt I'm the only one who's observed this problem. What have others done to fix this?

My only thought so far is to make a plywood "wedge" platform, to be used only when its a bed, to take out that slope. (A styrofoam wedge would be noisy.)

Ideas?
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
You just have to park-----

You just have to park that SANIBEL with the door side lower that the driver side to accommodate for the sofa sloping-------

No seriously, you caused me to go look at mine. I checked it by opening the sofa out. Mine is level! Are the legs in the back the same length as in the front?
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
William

I've got the same issue with our Primetime Crusader. I hadn't noticed it until my son complained about it this past weekend. I will be looking at it this weekend for a solution. Additionally, the air mattress that comes with it starting leaking after about 5 uses. I'll be tending to that this weekend also.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #4

I see even the high dollar PrimeTime has the same couch as the lower price ones. My Crusader has the same problem. I wondered why myself on the hide-a-bed slope problem. Also have the leaky mattress too.
southernsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

Sorry about your leaks. When I saw all those staples along the edge holding that black fabric down I immediately put duct tape to cover all of them. I'm hoping that will let me get more uses out of mine (fingers crossed).

It would be interesting if this is a PrimeTime only problem.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You can adjust the leg on the foot of the bed. There are 4 bolts (if I remember right) that have plastic spacers on them that you can move to raise or lower the foot of the bed. This drove me crazy, as in ours, your feet were above your head. Finally took a look and it's a simple fix. Probably should have been a PDI thing at the dealer, but I doubt they really think of things like that.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
William

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
You can adjust the leg on the foot of the bed. There are 4 bolts (if I remember right) that have plastic spacers on them that you can move to raise or lower the foot of the bed. This drove me crazy, as in ours, your feet were above your head. Finally took a look and it's a simple fix. Probably should have been a PDI thing at the dealer, but I doubt they really think of things like that.
Thanks, I'll take a look at it this weekend and report back.
2015 (38 Nights Camped/3560 Miles)
2014 (28 Nights Camped/1980 Miles)
2013 (30 Nights Camped/1411 Miles)
WEMig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
That's what I had thought on first inspection. When I looked at it more, I realized that changing those spacers is just going to lower the foot, but it's not going to change the fact that the middle of the bed (the front of the couch) is higher than the part at the wall. Removing those spacers will make the bed sag at the head AND the foot.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I have never looked to see if there is some type of adjustment at the head of the bed. I know mine was level except for the foot, which was high.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #10

I also have a Crusader with the same couch. It also sags at the head of the bed ( near wall ). The air mattress also failed ( air leak ). Primetime replaced it under warranty. I have removed the spacers with no luck, trying to make the bed flat. My only fix was to purchase egg crate foam and place it under the first three feet of the head of the bed. The foam lifted the head area and made it some what flat. The couch it self is not vary comfortable. I have often considered replacing it with an after market mattress stile. The other aggravating thing is the drawer below the couch. It does not stay closed when the trailer has been in motion. I remedied that by putting a couch pillow on the floor between the couch and the Kitchen table. The bottom line……the couch is of poor design…..and air mattress suck……………
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #11

Have the same problem in our Sierra. Thought about removing the spacers. May leave them there to discourage house guest.
Vinster30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinster30 View Post
Have the same problem in our Sierra. Thought about removing the spacers. May leave them there to discourage house guest.
I think the only possible way to correct this problem, is to some how lower the middle of the bed ( or front of the couch ). If you raise the back ( head of bed ) frame of the couch, when it is in the couch position, the back seat of the couch will be to forward. With the back of the seat forward, you will be uncomfortably forward and not reclined back a little. Does this make sense ?? So I don’t think that there is a mechanical fix to this…….
Old 02-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #13

Sofa/Bed

Even after a year of ownership, we have not used the sofa mattress as described here...With this information, I can attack the problem as we do intend to use it on our next outing with my wife's oldest daughter coming along with us...Thanks for the information...we will get into today...If I can do anything that can fix the problem with the least amount of work, I will pass it on..pretty good at these things sometimes..
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #14

This will help with the foot of the bed only.........if someone finds the head of the bed fix, please post ......
Old 02-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
The hide-a-bed in our RV has a significant slope on the platform where the air mattress lies. The part at the back of the couch, next to the wall, is about 4-5 inches lower than the front of the couch. The part that swings out from the front to make the rest of the bed has a couple of inches of plastic spacers where the rail that touches the floor connects to the couch frame. It's as if they raised the front of the frame to accommodate the drawer under it, added spacers to make the room side of the platform level, but then forgot to do anything with the part at the wall.

The first time we used it our guests were very uncomfortable and we ended up making the part at the wall the foot of the bed. That wasn't ideal and I like it the other way.

When used as a sofa, the back of the seat seems right. I doubt I'm the only one who's observed this problem. What have others done to fix this?

My only thought so far is to make a plywood "wedge" platform, to be used only when its a bed, to take out that slope. (A styrofoam wedge would be noisy.)

Ideas?
This may resolve the head of couch bed problem. I can't check mine to see if this works, its in storage for the winter. Also see my post for foot of bed fix.

Behind the Air HAB, there is a support piece covered with Typar, they will notice this sits about 2 inches below the grooved piece. A simple adjustment up or down with the movement of this typar covered piece will and should resolve the problem
Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #16

I love this forum. This problem has been driving me nuts as well. Can't wait to try these suggestions.
hp178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp178 View Post
I love this forum. This problem has been driving me nuts as well. Can't wait to try these suggestions.
Please tell us what kind of RV you have.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp178 View Post
Please let us know if the repair works !!
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #19

Anyone see the new tri-fold HAB that is being put into many brands? Eliminates the annoying air-mattress and is residential quality. I was recently shopping to replace my Forester and Crossroads and another company had this:

The Destination Tri-Fold Sleeper
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post

Please tell us what kind of RV you have.
I have a 2013 Sandpiper 365 SAQ.

Tags
bed