Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Home-Made Tools

After watching a YouTube video where a gentleman was hooking his fifth wheel onto his hitch using a little "hook" to aid his endeavors I began to wonder how many others had made special little tools to make some of the chores a bit easier. This wasn't a big deal it simply extended his reach to be able to complete the hooking process without having to climb on the tire or get a small ladder. If you've created something that makes life a bit easier, I'm sure others would like to see it.
Adda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:43 PM   #2

I married my wife. She’s pretty handy when I need help, and she makes my life quite a bit easier. True story.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:06 PM   #3

This says "not available" but this is what I got on Amazon and added a painting extension pole from Lowe's. I push/pull the lever on B&W hitch, and reach anything in bed of truck

https://www.bhg.com/shop/big-reach-p...9ca941a86.html

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:03 AM   #4

The threaded end broke on my shop broom. I drilled a hole in the remaining plastic insert. Got a large screw in wall hook from hwd store and screwed it the drilled hole. Done.
Old 09-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #5

I didn't make it, but I use a boat hook to reach things in the storage area of my TT and in the bed of my F150. I hate removing the cover from the bed of the truck to reach things that are always in the front of the box.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #6
Kasual Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
I married my wife. She’s pretty handy when I need help, and she makes my life quite a bit easier. True story.
Are you calling your wife a "tool"? She's not gonna like that!
JayArras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:45 AM   #7

I weighed the consequences. She is home made(not by me though lol), and she makes the chores a bit easier. Appreciation wears many different hats. I just wanted the D ish W asher to know she wasn’t being taken for granted.

I did buy an aftermarket folding step for my F150, to help me climb in and out of the bed, but it wasn’t made at home. It was installed there, but I don’t think that counts. Great knee saver.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:10 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adda View Post
I began to wonder how many others had made special little tools to make some of the chores a bit easier. If you've created something that makes life a bit easier, I'm sure others would like to see it.

Hi Adda

I made a ‘bump block’ to help line up my tow trailer hitch with the ball when backing up. There are previous posts in the forum about this, but let me know if you’d like to see a picture.

Rennie
Old 10-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #9

I like to see pictures.

Please
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:54 PM   #10
Scoundrel

I put a piece of white duct tape on top of the black coupler on my trailer. On my F150 I can zoom in using the rear view back up camera and literally back up my truck and place the hitch ball right under the coupler on the first try. Very handy.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:26 AM   #11

Thanks Rennie. I would love to see a pic of the "bump block".
Adda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 09:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
I didn't make it, but I use a boat hook to reach things in the storage area of my TT and in the bed of my F150. I hate removing the cover from the bed of the truck to reach things that are always in the front of the box.
My boat is long gone, but I still use the boat hook just like you. Very handy!
Old 10-16-2018, 12:13 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to MendocinoExplorer Send a message via Skype™ to MendocinoExplorer
Trailer Hitch Bump Block

Here are some rough photos of the 'bump block' that I made for my truck and trailer. I got the ideas from other posts on this forum... The specific details and measurements will vary widely for each instance as most people's hitch are probably different from my own, but the concept is what is important – and VERY helpful.

The hitch without the bump block:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7712.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	692.5 KB
ID:	189365

The hitch with the bump block slipped onto the hitch:

Name:	IMG_7713.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	620.1 KB
ID:	189366

The bump block itself:

Name:	IMG_7715.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	189367

The key feature (adjustable plastic wedges inserted between the aluminum and wood block, and the wood being tapered bottom to the flat spot) not in previous posts. I have never adjusted the wedges since I made the bump block, but wanted to do so if needed.

Name:	IMG_7714.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	189368

How I use it:

a) I painted the trailer's hitch ball white, so that I can see this clearly in low lighting conditions, in my truck's backup camera.

b) I painted the top of the Bump Block white, so I can watch them line up, using the backup camera.

c) In the photo above, notice that the wood is 'hollowed out' (with a tablesaw, or mitresaw), so that the lip of the trailer's hitch cup is forced/jiggled/guided right into the last ⅛ inch of dead center of the hitch ball.

d) I back the truck up (VERY slowly!!!) such that the two white parts are lined up, and so that the truck's hitch Bump Block very gently 'bumps' into the cup of the tow trailer. Set the parking lever, and brake, and go outside to check.

e) If all looks reasonable, I start lowering the trailer onto the hitch. This is where the 'taper', 'curve-y' part comes in. The wooden part is tapered such that lowering the trailer actually releases the pressure on the wooden Bump Block, and gives the trailer ball just enough wiggle room to seat properly.

f) Assuming correct connect, I slip off the Bump Block and store in the trailer basement.

With practice, I can get a proper connection about ½ the time on the first try, without having to move the truck again. Sadly, my truck backup camera (on the tailgate) is not centered on the tailgate, and therefore my view of the target area is subject to a bit of interpretation. Thanks to HangDiver's idea, I plan to use a MagicMarker to scribe black lines on the white paint, which will show me the correct left-to-right landing zone.

Even more sadly, I can't think of a way to make this a commercial product, since there are so many types and brands of hitches to accommodate. Not that I want to go into business with this, but that I would have preferred to purchase one ready-made...

Hopefully, these photos and explanations will help someone else with one of the stressful aspects of travel trailering.

Rennie
Old 10-16-2018, 04:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MendocinoExplorer View Post
Here are some rough photos of the 'bump block' that I made for my truck and trailer. I got the ideas from other posts on this forum... The specific details and measurements will vary widely for each instance as most people's hitch are probably different from my own, but the concept is what is important – and VERY helpful.

The hitch without the bump block:

Attachment 189365

The hitch with the bump block slipped onto the hitch:

Attachment 189366

The bump block itself:

Attachment 189367

The key feature (adjustable plastic wedges inserted between the aluminum and wood block, and the wood being tapered bottom to the flat spot) not in previous posts. I have never adjusted the wedges since I made the bump block, but wanted to do so if needed.

Attachment 189368

How I use it:

a) I painted the trailer's hitch ball white, so that I can see this clearly in low lighting conditions, in my truck's backup camera.

b) I painted the top of the Bump Block white, so I can watch them line up, using the backup camera.

c) In the photo above, notice that the wood is 'hollowed out' (with a tablesaw, or mitresaw), so that the lip of the trailer's hitch cup is forced/jiggled/guided right into the last ⅛ inch of dead center of the hitch ball.

d) I back the truck up (VERY slowly!!!) such that the two white parts are lined up, and so that the truck's hitch Bump Block very gently 'bumps' into the cup of the tow trailer. Set the parking lever, and brake, and go outside to check.

e) If all looks reasonable, I start lowering the trailer onto the hitch. This is where the 'taper', 'curve-y' part comes in. The wooden part is tapered such that lowering the trailer actually releases the pressure on the wooden Bump Block, and gives the trailer ball just enough wiggle room to seat properly.

f) Assuming correct connect, I slip off the Bump Block and store in the trailer basement.

With practice, I can get a proper connection about ½ the time on the first try, without having to move the truck again. Sadly, my truck backup camera (on the tailgate) is not centered on the tailgate, and therefore my view of the target area is subject to a bit of interpretation. Thanks to HangDiver's idea, I plan to use a MagicMarker to scribe black lines on the white paint, which will show me the correct left-to-right landing zone.

Even more sadly, I can't think of a way to make this a commercial product, since there are so many types and brands of hitches to accommodate. Not that I want to go into business with this, but that I would have preferred to purchase one ready-made...

Hopefully, these photos and explanations will help someone else with one of the stressful aspects of travel trailering.

Rennie
Cool
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:26 PM   #15

I'm on that like PB on bread!
perrogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:57 PM   #16

Made a custome harnes with a switch for my backup cameras. 2 inputs to the factory radio. Factory tailgate camera and oem tailgate camera mounted on back of trailer. I can turn off tailgate camera when tt is hooked up and just have the tt camera operable.
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote