Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netcomdude View Post
Hay Tony,

No, I used the existing speaker wiring. I clipped it off the old Genesis unit before there “butt splice”. The wires would have been too short for serviceability, so I added about 6 feet of speaker wire to each existing one to eventually make a nice harness that allows the panel to come off the wall and sit on the dinette table for easy accessibility. Each connection was soldered.

The existing wiring is plenty heavy for speakers. I did label each wire with laminating label maker tape for future reference. I also soldered the wires to the speakers

As for the brackets, they are
2” X 2” corner brackets. They are only attached to the wood faceplate and were put there mainly to keep the new Blu-Ray and tuner/Amp square to the faceplate. The trick was to cut the holes as perfectly as possible so the new stuff just “squeaks” in. I used brown calk to finish it out. The calk actually holds the equipment in place while the brackets just tend to support it. I wanted to keep that cavity air tight as I have 12 Volt computer fans on the side of it in place to suck the heat out. That cavity in my RV gets hot because it is on the refrigerator wall. It use to trick the thermostat into thinking it was 90 degrees in the camper when the actual temp was about freezing. Lol.

The fans are wired in series so each 12 Volt fan is really running 1/2 speed on 6 Volts. (No fan noise).

Since the 5.1 surround receiver is in reclaimed space above the refrigerator, I cut an opening above the refrigerator in that wall into the back of the wall cabinet to “suck air” out from above the refrigerator. This allows the surround receiver to breath as well.

Sorry for the lengthy answer.

I love the idea of soldering the wires! With all the vibrations and bumps on the road you never know what could become disconnected. Excellent job and I like how neat you tied all your cables.
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 AM   #42

On my Vizio 5.1 system, the sound bar itself handles Left, Center and Right channels with an excellent separation of each channel. The Subwoofer uses a wireless connection to the sound bar and each of the two rear speakers (RR & RL) have a wire that runs into the subwoofer. I take the system down when hitting the road for a destination, and do a quick (5 min.) setup when I arrive. The nice thing about the system is that you can fully adjust the volumes to quiet it down yet still maintain 5.1 sound and fidelity.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #43

Send a message via AIM to B and B
In my other SOB I have a 50 watt powered sub and it sounds great! I camp in the forest and trust me no one can hear it unless standing within 20 ft of my trailer. Good Work on the mod and replacing a expensive stock unit with something much nicer.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:57 AM   #44

Netcom... thanks for the reply and no need to apologize; I'll take more details any day, especially on mods.
Our 2306 has the same unit in the same area; getting a lot of good ideas here.
Thanks!
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Control
tony5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #45

Tony,
There is a lot of empty space above the refrigerator. Just pound out the panel with your fist. It is stapled to the frame rails with a brad nailer. There will be a small piece of batting insulation on top of the refrigerator. I removed that. There is a piece of Luan that separates that space from the heat cavity/roof vent cavity. It had a 3/4 inch space that was open at the bottom. Since this was originally set up for the wife’s induction burner, griddle and stand mixer storage, I needed to make it air tight from the outside or the fantastic fan would suck hot air in from the back of the refrigerator.

Rather than cutting a new “back wall”. I used fire retardant “great stuff” foam to lay down a bead, wait a minute, put another bead on top of that etc. till the gap was filled. The same on both sides of the refrigerator.

There is enough room for a home type receiver to fit there. There is already a small wiring hole between that cavity and the one where the original crappy stock radio was. I had to make the hole bigger (3” hole saw) to fit the cord for a power strip, HDMI cables, speaker wiring and enough extra room for airflow.

The cooling will be a a combination of four computer fans.

Two are installed in the side wall of the Thermostat, Radio, TV cavity

See photo

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1520820513.682030.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	291.2 KB
ID:	164948

The other two will be mounted in a custom faceplate I have yet to make for the receiver.

Air will circulate in above the refrigerator and out through the fans in the photos above.

Wiring the fans in series (each 12 Volt fan running on 6 Volts) makes them inaudible but supplies good air flow

Here is a photo of the unfinished, but working receiver location.

Name:	IMG_1520820964.278744.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	164949

I will post a photo when I get the faceplate made and installed
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:07 PM   #46

We just bought a 2018 Rockwood 2906ws 2 weeks ago and there is no ceiling speakers in it and only had the sound bar. This past weekend I installed a pair of vintage Realistic Minimus 7's that I picked up at Goodwill a couple of years ago for $4.00. The difference in sound is night and day. Here is a few pictures.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tv1.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	369.9 KB
ID:	165040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tv2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	165041   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180311_204719.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	287.4 KB
ID:	165042  
Locky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #47

Inadequate

Can you please come and install all of that in my 2507s. My DH and I both barely understand wiring a light switch, let alone audio components.

Do any of you have a recommendation for a replacement for the horse S%^# stock radio/blueray/dvd player.

P.s. Camp next to us anytime. R.I.P Tom Petty
HoundsAbounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #48

Great system! Looking to upgrade the speakers. What model Clarions did you get?
Craig Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #49

Well, since that are now mounted in the ceiling and the boxes are gone I’ll have to give you the description. They are shallow mount 2-way 6” boat speakers rated at 40 Watts RMS. Found them on Amazon. They really pack a punch and sound way better than the transistor radio speakers that came with the RV. Just make a template out of cardboard, mark the ceiling. I cut the holes out with a dry wall saw. Be prepared for a mess. The top of your camper, if like mine is bead foam and I had a ship vac and drop cloth ready. Vacuum out the cut holes. Run your hand around in the holes to get all the semi loose beads out.

I was rocking them to the point foam beads were coming out of the air conditioner vents. Lol.

If you did nothing more than change the speakers it’s still a big difference. But I’d recommend going all the way.

My RV sounds as good as most people’s home family room.

NOTE: Clarion sends metal mounting clips with the speakers. Cut holes carefully as not to over size the holes and have nothing to mount them to.
Netcomdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #50

Nice job!! I boondock 99% so just don’t have power to do these mods. Bluetooth dongle and a Bose speaker is best I can do!!
rludym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:39 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobnCari View Post
Kind of what I was thinking.

My home theater is at home. RV walls are thin. For the theater experience you'll have to turn it up enough so half the campground will know what you're watching.
Just saying.

Waahhh! Netcomdude- you just can't win for losing. Like you said, you're just trying to explain a mod that you did, and these guys turn it into something. You did a great job, and I hope to follow suit myself. And I do hope you camp next to me. Just one question- why the soundbar if it's a true home theater setup? Does that replace your center speaker? Big Polk Audio fan here.
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater