Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #1

Hot Cold Water Regulation

I have a problem with my shower that I'm sure is not unique to me. I can't seem to regulate the water temperature in the shower no matter how much I adjust the controls on the mixer valve. I've searched the Internet but about all I can find for shower spray devices are scald guards. Don't get me wrong, scald guards are a good thing IMHO but I'm looking for a good regulator that can be used in-line. Most everything I can find seems to use a residential fixed shower head with a separate control valve. Nothing in a spray type install. Has anyone else out there run into this/solved this problem?
Tblackmon9599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
My solution for water mix.----------

I too had the same problem to start but was able to fix the problem. I use a OXYGENICS shower head with hose and a shut off valve that attachés to the base of the shower wand. First off, instruct everyone that is in the camper, not to run the water at all in the kitchen or lavatory, flush toilet
while anyone is using the shower. Next, once you get the temp regulated by adjusting the hot and cold knobs, you can regulate the water flow by the accessory shut off valve on the Oxygenics shower wand. When you get wet, DO NOT COMPLETELY SHUT OFF THE WATER AT THE ACCESSORY CONTROL VALVE , simply turn the water down to a dribble with the control valve. This will keep a constant flow of hot and cold water mixed to you comfort mixed properly.
If you slide down on the page of the OXYGENICS shower head, you will see the valve that you will need also. PART # 89171 by DANCO

Oxygenics 130-XLF25 BodySpa SkinCare Handheld Shower, Chrome - Amazon.com
This is my solution

Good LUCK
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #3

I actually have the same shower head but without the flow valve that you mention. I'd really like a pressure regulated valve but if I can't find one then your suggestion might prove helpful. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post
I have a problem with my shower that I'm sure is not unique to me. I can't seem to regulate the water temperature in the shower no matter how much I adjust the controls on the mixer valve. I've searched the Internet but about all I can find for shower spray devices are scald guards. Don't get me wrong, scald guards are a good thing IMHO but I'm looking for a good regulator that can be used in-line. Most everything I can find seems to use a residential fixed shower head with a separate control valve. Nothing in a spray type install. Has anyone else out there run into this/solved this problem?
You didnt say if you are on City water or 12V Pump,when the problem happens? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Before you go crazy, check your outside shower wand.

If the valves are open and the handle shutoff valve is closed; water can move back and forth from hot to cold side and really screw up your temperature settings inside the camper.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:48 PM   #6

I feel your pain, I struggled with it for weeks and was visiting with an older gentleman and he said he always turns the cold on then uses the hot to bring the temp up to the comfort level, never touching the cold knob. I thought it sounded odd but the next morning I had the best shower ever.

That was 2 or 3 trailers ago and I am still following that procedure with good results. Within a couple days you will turn the knob without thinking and be real close to comfortable. If I adjust while showering I only touch the hot water. I find having one flow constant and adjusting one was much easier, and keeping the cold with a decent flow seems less likely for mine to be too hot.
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

City water is all we ever use. Only time I've ever had water on board was when it was tested at delivery. I've considered that fluctuations in CG flow could contribute some but I wouldn't think that much. Never really thought about how using the pump might affect things. I learn something or get a new perspective every time I post a question. Thanks.

I removed the outside wand altogether. I keep it in the basement for beach trips and such but don't have a real use for it at other times. Good suggestion though. Never thought about that.

The hot/cold setting is probably the way I'll have to go for now. It makes sense to have one of the two set at a constant.

I'm probably just looking for something that doesn't exist as an easy "in-line" type install but I thought I'd ask. Seems like every time I ask a question someone on the board has dealt with the same thing and has a solution. I'll keep plugging.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far!
Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderalley3 View Post
I feel your pain, I struggled with it for weeks and was visiting with an older gentleman and he said he always turns the cold on then uses the hot to bring the temp up to the comfort level, never touching the cold knob. I thought it sounded odd but the next morning I had the best shower ever.

That was 2 or 3 trailers ago and I am still following that procedure with good results. Within a couple days you will turn the knob without thinking and be real close to comfortable. If I adjust while showering I only touch the hot water. I find having one flow constant and adjusting one was much easier, and keeping the cold with a decent flow seems less likely for mine to be too hot.
He gave you a VERY good tip,fixed cold & adjust Hot. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #9

How your hot water bypass for winterizing is set up will have an effect on regulating water temps. as well. I had a camper with a check valve in the outlet port of the water heater. It took more water pressure to go through the check valve than the unrestricted cold water line. When ever I shut the shower off at the head for soaping up and then turned it back on I always got a shot of cold water. The solution was to install check valves on hot and cold as close to the shower control valve as possible.
Rick R is offline   Reply With Quote