Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #1

How do you hang pictures and such on the wall?

I am wanting to hang some family pics and such on the walls, but the only thing that strikes me as secure enough to not fall while driving is the old spring clamp plate holders screwed to the wall. What does everyone else use?
I did mount a plaque my wife got me for Christmas with a piece os 2' evlcro about a foot long. It is industrial adhesive and I still spapled it to the wall and the plaque. That works well for a solid piece of wood, but wont for a picture frame.
edman87k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #2

I pre drill a small hole then install a screw, and do this on an upward angle. I have never had a picture or a clock fall yet, in ten years. The walls will not hold heavy stuff unless you find a stud.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:17 PM   #3

The Crusader came with a residential battery powered clock. It hangs from a screw on top(just like in the house) but has velcro on the bottom. Seems to be well secured.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #4

We use both regular picture hooks & Command Hook picture hangers.
I have used all standard household anchors in all our RVs.
Just need to be careful of the depth of the wall & the weight of the object you want to hang. The right anchor for the right job.
The first pic below, the wreath thing is held up with a regular picture hook.
The second pic, the top thing I used a command picture hook & the bottom key holder uses brass wood screws & plastic anchors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0035.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	4365   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0029.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	4366  
3 Happy Campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

My question mainly refers to hanging framed pictures, with glass in them. I just dont see 1 screw, nail or anything working well for going down the road. The problem I see is not the fastener coming out of the wall, it is the picture bouncing off the fastener.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:20 PM   #6

How many pictures are you going to hang? If they are fairly heavy and you are talking about 2 or 3 pictures I would just take them down for the trip.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #7

Take notice to the lower right hand corner of this pic.
The shelf next to the bed (wall of the slide out) was hung with those hollow wall anchors that you insert into a hole tighten down with a screwdriver then remove the bolt, put the bolt through the shelf & screw back into the anchor.
(I can’t think of the technical name of that kind of anchor right off the top of my head.)

The point I’m trying to make is the self weighs 2-3 lbs & the clock radio weighs another 2-3 lbs. The clock is held in place on the shelf by Velcro.
Think it through & you can hang anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0106.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4367  
Old 02-03-2011, 08:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman87k5 View Post
My question mainly refers to hanging framed pictures, with glass in them. I just dont see 1 screw, nail or anything working well for going down the road. The problem I see is not the fastener coming out of the wall, it is the picture bouncing off the fastener.
You can try these 3M Command clips...(And maybe mount them upside down)

Command

(Take a look at the installation instructions for a better idea of the product...)

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #9

I actually have an idea for mounting a lightweight spring to the bottom part of the picture frame and using 2 screws/ nails on the wall of the trailer to keep them from moving.
I see everyone posting stuff on what will hold up and secure to the wall, but I have that part covered. THe bouncing off the fastener while traveling is the part I am trying to cover.
Does anyone leave picture frames on the wall while towing?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:18 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
You can try these 3M Command clips...(And maybe mount them upside down)

Command

(Take a look at the installation instructions for a better idea of the product...)

John
These command gizmo's work well, Get them as pictured or get the ones with hook supplied. They can be taken off the wall and will leave no marks. We hang clocks, pictures and when we move down the road, just take the pic's and clocks down and put them back up when set up.

<a href=https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic9630_4.gif target=_blank>https://www.forestriverforums.com/att...gpic9630_4.gif</a>
Itsthetwoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:24 AM   #11

We use the 3M Command picture hangers ( # 17040VP ) to hang the picture and the 3M Command Picture Hanging strips ( # 172010F ) on each lower corner to hold the picture in place. That way there are no holes in our wall, the hangers are easily removed with no damage to the wall. We did this with our old trailer and when it came time to sell, we took our photo's with us.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:01 AM   #12

We hung family pix. up with standard
picture hooks. It only takes a few minutes when we go to move
to take them down. Same with the snow globes and wine glasses
I have on the shelves. Put all into rubbermaid container.
Of course, we stay in one place for a while at a time. Might not
like it if we were moving all the time.
D&GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #13
CLASS "A" Senior Member

We have a couple picture frames in our coach. I drilled 4 small holes in the frame to allow a drywall screw to hold it to the wall. When and if we decide to change it I have some of the tape used on the seams to punch out circles to cover the holes. This is similar to what the dealership did when FR left a couple holes in the wall where they placed the day/night shade cord holders in the wrong place. You can't see them unless someone points them out. I also have a clock held by one screw but a small piece of velcro to keep it from moving during a trip. It's pretty easy to lift up to replace the battery as well.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #14

Charlie above has a good idea in how he did is, if you must hang pictures with glass then i would remove the glass and replace it with clear plastic of the same thickness. Most picture frames have either a slot or a medal triangle if yours does not and it has those teeth looking thing you may what to concider changing to those other types of frames.
Frames can cost a lot and if you don't want holes in your frames then this might be the next best thing.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #15
The Old Man

I use screws through the top and bottom rails of the frame and screw into the wall studs. If seeing the screw heads is too unsightly, they can be recessed and covered over with paint and/or putty.

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #16

I think it is better to not hang anything on the walls. First it will leave a hole and next the more serious one. The picture will leave a mark of different colour after you remove it because of the uv caused by the sun. After that who want to buy a trailer with pictures spot that you cannot remove because the colour is now different.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
I think it is better to not hang anything on the walls. First it will leave a hole and next the more serious one. The picture will leave a mark of different colour after you remove it because of the uv caused by the sun. After that who want to buy a trailer with pictures spot that you cannot remove because the colour is now different.
You do make a valid point.
However in our last unit we had hung a 10”x12” frame with a collage of previous campers.
I had mounted the frame with a couple screws & plastic mollies.
Paid about $2.50 for the frame @ a flee market. The frame itself was actually kind of nifty.

When we traded in the camper we removed the collage & replaced it with the covers two two old Highways Mag we had laying around.
Anything that's going to make a mark or hole of any kind stays when we sell.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 AM   #18

We use double sided tape. Seems to hold pretty good.
2008FX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #19

I use a Velcro picture mounting tabs. I found them at lowes.
kanati is offline   Reply With Quote