Also check out this thread:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...html#post83113

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:08 PM   #52

Camping is now a pretty generic term. It can mean anything from being in a tent, miles from the next person, to a Motor Coach in a Resort RV Park. "Boondocking" just specifies a type of camping. When you are boondocking, you are also camping, but when you are camping, you may not be boondocking. lol

Our camping experience has been a progression. My next step has been installing LED lighting, so I have also been following the other thread. If I can lesson my electrical usage, then my batteries will obviously last even longer, but ultimately I am there to have an enjoyable time, so I am not going to make electrical monitoring the focus of our camping.

Although AGMs have advantages, by their own ratings they will not last as long as the wet cells I am using. I considered many options before I made my decision and they have worked well. Battery technology is continuing to improve and they may not always be the choice I would make, but I am still satisfied with them.

I just finished replacing the OEM battery in the Power Wagon. I selected a Sears DieHard Platinum P-2 which ia an AGM. It seemed the best choice for the application.

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Most of the deep cycle battery advice sites that I could locate suggest that the maximum charge rate should be your amp hrs / 10. So, if you have a 100 amp hr battery, your maximum charge rate should be 10 amps. So, perhaps we need to be careful about trying to pump too much into a deep cycle battery too quickly . . . . Of course, it all depends on your situation and your setup. I also found sites that suggested 20 to 25% of your amp hrs. I guess this is less than a science.
As I have Trojan batteries, I went to their website for info. In the FAQ section the question is "What size charger should I buy?" The response is:

"A properly sized charger takes into account battery capacity and the time interval between charges. In applications where cycling is infrequent, such as weekend RV users, or infrequent or seasonal trolling motor usage, a charger with an output current rating between 10 and 13% of the battery's rated 20-hour capacity will suffice. In applications where battery recharge must be accomplished within 8 to 10 hours, a three stage, automatic charger, rated at 20% of the battery capacity, may be required."

My charger is an automatic, three stage charger. My batteries have a 260 20-hour capacity, so 260 X .20 = 52. So I could actually go up to a 52 amp charge rate. My 40-amp charger appears to be in the range (for my application) and has worked well for me.

Just posting for info sake.

Glenn

Glenn & Beth (Dad & Mom)
David & Audra (16 year old twins)
2006 Dodge Power Wagon (Adventure & Tow Vehicle)
2006 Rockwood 8281SS (Home away from Home)
Glenn5995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #54
Site Team

Thanks Glenn. That info was helpful. So, in my case, a 130 amp hr Trojan and 10 to 13% would be about 15 amps. So, I just ordered this guy.

Amazon.com: Schumacher SSC-1500A Ship 'N' Shore Speed Charge Charger: Automotive

Hope it works!! Thanks everyone for some great info!!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:26 PM   #55
Site Team - Lou

Times two Glenn. Since I plan on replacing my OEMs next year I will be shopping for a good 40 amp 3 stage charger like yours.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #56

Interstate

If you have an Interstate Battery Dealership near you its worth checking there blemished batteries out. These are returns, etc that are guaranteed. They are very inexpensive. Last spring I picked up 2 of the largest deep cycles they had for my boat. $45 each. They are monsters and performed well in the ocean last season. I also picked up one for my old farm tractor that has had no issues and the old girl has started all winter for plowing all this snow. I thought I would throw it out there.

Tags
battery