Old 07-16-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
how to cut hole in rockwood 2280 for ac installation

Hi everyone, new to the FR forums!

I have a 2006 Rockwood Freedom 2280 that is supposedly factory ready for ac.

I am 100% comfortable with doing up all the wiring for the unit but I am having trouble figuring out how and where to cut the hole for the ac unit.

I see the single screw on the inside of my ceiling just slightly above the dinette area but I don't have a template to know whether that screw location is the center of the hole or if it is an edge of the hole. I also don't know what to look for when I do cut the hole to confirm whether or not the roof is pre-braced to support an 80 lb a/c unit.

Also what tool should I use to ensure I get a clean perfect cut? I assume that I would cut from bottom up using a reciprocating saw with a fine multi blade that will cut metal + fiberglass.

Anyone here have a copy or link to the detailed installation instructions?

The a/c unit I want installed is a Dometic Brisk Air II. What is the general consensus on quality of unit? I know they're noisy but what a/c unit isn't?

Lastly, my friend has a 2008 Flagstaff 227 which also has the screw in the ceiling marked (presumably for a/c). Is the install procedure identical to my 2280?

Thanks for all the advice and tips.

stevespopup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #2
Left Coast
Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
No roof vent(s)?

Bob/Linda, 99 Dodge 2500 Cummins,2010 8280 Rockwood Ultra-lite 5er, PullRite Superglide----- I'm retired......but work part time as a pain in the ass!........... USMC.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Contact rockwood they should be able to give you the exact location of hole.

08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
ACs are designed to replace a standard 14X14 roof vent. IF it is pre-wired, there should be a blank plate near one of the vents that contains a 120VAC wire.
donniedu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #5
We are talking about a pop-up. They are not setup like a TT.

Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe
2 Mtn. Bikes
4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:33 AM   #6
yes the unit is ready for ac which means bracing in the roof is in place and the 20amp breaker is already in the power converter panel. The wiring still needs to be put in along with the socket pass through on the roof line as how the factory designed it.

I know where the a/c is supposed to (as marked by the single screw on the ceiling but I don't know what direction to cut in relative to the screw hole. Is the screw hole the center of the 14 x 14" hole I have to cut or is it one of the 4 corners?

Seems like I can't find the answer and Forest River isn't responding to my emails and voice messages.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #7
Too old to be too smart
Are you SURE the wire isn't already there? If not, how will you "snake" the wire in through the insulation and rood/wall rafters/studs?

If the wire IS already there, how will you know where, and prevent cutting it off with any kind of sawing?

"Patience is a virtue"!
2004 Terry 250RKS, perfect for the two of us and the pups. It recently replaced our Flagstaff 21FB.

2000 F-350 7.3L CC/LB 4WD Lariat 3:73's
SpringerPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
it is a pop up and the #12 romex runs along the ceiling (under a wire channel you have to install) which then terminates at the a/c unit AND at the side of the roofline where the romex goes into a special romex to 20 amp weather proof male plug.

Trust me on the electrical part. I just need to know how to cut the hole.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
I have had a 1980 rockwood pop up for the last 10 years, and have been shopping for something newer for about 8 yrs. I've looked at a lot of Freedoms. The air is always positioned on the roof a little to the backside of the middle of the roof, and a little off center. The air on a 2280 should be over the walk space next to the dinette. That is where you should begin looking. When you buy a unit they either are built with the wiring in place as you well know, and to be sure it might be on paperwork you got with the camper. Since they are delivered without the air unit, and the dealer installs this, maybe you could ask a dealer for a schematic??

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 12:33 PM   #10
cutting hole for ac unit

I'm not the original owner of the pop up but have done enough research with the manufacturer and even reviewing the sales specs (original sales literature) says it is a/c ready with the braces installed but with no a/c wiring kit.

The wiring kit is a joke, really an extension cord from the converter to the little socket on the top of the roof where the a/c would reside.

I have sourced and actually built all the wiring I need for the ac but I'm just no confident cutting out the 14" x 14" hole by myself and the dealers here want $300-400 to do the job (yeah that's a rip off for 20 minutes of work).

I can clearly see the screw off center from the center galley walkway just over the dinette.

The question is that screw marking one of the corners of the 14"x14" boxed frame for the a/c hole? Since the screw is closest to the center ceiling seam I can only speculate that I cut away from the marked hole but after that do I turn my blade left to cut towards the back of the roof or forward to cut towards the front? The selling dealer is bankrupt, the current dealer is pretty much useless and so overpriced that they should be charged with extortion and forest river doesn't return my calls or e-mails.

Frustrating to say the least...

280, rockwood