Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s

How to remove the fantastic fan casing?

Hey guys,

We just purchased a New Rockwood Roo 233s and I was told that we should get a maxair vent cover. The salesmen told me that it only requires a few screws to install the maxair vent cover. When I went to install the vent cover, I could not figure out how to remove the fan and the inner casing to drill holes into the frame. My question is how do you remove the inner casing of the actual fan so you can drill holes into the frame? Please explain detail by detail. Thanks in advance!
tcnmchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #2

Hello
Check out the video at Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxair II
Old 07-04-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
Site Team

A couple thoughts..... Maxair has excellent tech support and pretty good online printable
directions. Have you checked their website??
2nd- they make a cover specifically for the fantastic fan. Did you buy that one?

I've put 2 maxxair covers on my vents. One was similar to a fantastic fan. I don't
recall having to remove anything.
Seems like I just cranked the vent cap up and drilled 4 holes around the edges of the curb in order to
screw on the 4 little angle brackets. It was 4 years ago so memory is a bit vague but
I'm pretty sure it was that easy.
Maybe others can be more helpful.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
"Roughing it since 2000"

I had one installed and the tech was on the roof all of 3 minutes. He used self tapping screws. Had I known it was that easy I would have did it myself!
2007flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s

yes i have watched all the maxair videos but all the installs, the fans are already removed. i think i posted a picture of the fan here. there is a round casing i cant seem to remove so i can get the brackets in place. hope the picture populates.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	34563

OK, here is the photo, so it is the casing that the fan rotates I am having an issue removing to get to the wall so i can put the bracket on
Old 07-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #7

I would skip using the bolt and nuts that came with the cover and just use self-taping screws. That's what I did and as done in 10mins. If u use the nuts and bolts, I see where the fan has to come out to have access to the nuts.
labman1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s

Thank you all for your suggestions! The self-taping screws, no issues of the max vent blowing away?
Old 07-04-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s

I will look into calling the dealership where I got the max vent cover and ask them again for some more suggestions.

Cheers All
Old 07-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

I suggest contacting the seller - you may not have the correct part for the Fan-Tastic Fan as this Video for the install shows the install with an existing Fan-Tastic Fan ()
Old 07-04-2013, 09:01 PM   #11

tcnmchu - We have a Rockwood Roo 17, and completed this mod this past Sunday evening. It was actually more straight forward than I first thought. You DO have to drop the fan out to access the backs of the bolts - It was useful to have a second set of hands available to do the inside work while you're on the roof if they can tear themselves away from their video games long enough.
(2007flagstaff is probably right that self tapping would hold it in place as well - but I stuck with the bolts that came with)

- Most important first step - Dryfit the MaxxAir cover and test the vent for height and square. Crank the vent open until it just touches the inside of the MaaxAir, then back it off slightly. Do this a few times until you're satisfied it is not too far back or forward.

- Inside the trailer, Remove the fan - not as hard as it sounds - stand under the fan, and note the 4 screws. Remove them, and put them aside. (Be sure your sink drain plug is in tight - you don't want to try to retrieve dropped screws from your grey tank).
- using the same screwdriver, remove the screw from the centre of the Crank wheel - it will loosen and you can remove the handle and put it aside. You will find another screw under that handle, remove it and put it aside. Your fan will now be loose, but held in by a bit of sticky material at one of the posts.
- Maneuver the edges of the fan until it drops down low enough that you can remove it. I was able to put a small screwdriver into the hole where it was binding and a bit of work at it, came right out. Wire length is ample to rest the edge of the assembly ontop of the mirror while you do your work, without disconnecting anything
- Back up on the roof, you can follow the video MaxxAir that Sgt. Schultz kindly provided (for the sake of clarity, I'll detail my steps as well)
- trace all 4 holes of the MaxxAir onto the generous bead of sealing material that Forest River puts around these vents
- remove the vent cover and set it aside - you'll see the 4 holes on each side that you traced.
- place one of the brackets over the trace marking - as close to the corners of your vent frame as reasonably possible is best
- Trace the hole onto the side of the vent frame while holding the bracket in place (have the vent partially cracked open so you can see where the drill bit will go when you get to that step
- Drill the 4 holes, slowly, and watching the inside of the vent during the process so you don't hit any wiring or brackets
(This is where your inside helper comes in handy).
- Put the large bolt in the bracket from the bottom - you can't do it later! (which will hold the vent cover), then place the bracket to the hole, and insert your bolt
- have your helper reach up and put on the lock washer and nut inside the vent housing
- Use your screwdriver to tighten from your side - your helper can hold the nut with a small adjustable wrench. (You'll be able to feel what's reasonable for tightness).
- Once your brackets are all mounted, place the vent cover over the bolts you previously inserted up through the brackets, place your lock washers and nuts, and tighten. (again, you will know what is reasonable for tightness).
- Now it's time to put your fan back in place, starting with the screw under the crank handle - then each of the others, and finally the crank handle itself.
- Open your vent, test your fan and you should be good to go, with no more wet floors when the vent is left open during an overnight rain-storm !
- One thing to note - do not expect the MaxxAir to sit flat against the bead of sealant or tight against the roof - an airspace under it keeps moisture from collecting

Hope this helps !
drobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Site Team

When I installed mine I used the smallest drill bit in my set and then used
stainless steel sheet metal screws without nuts.
It's easy and tight!
No removal necessary!
That's what 99% of dealers will do also.

Both mine are still up there after 4 years and well over 10,000 miles!
Good luck!

This is important. You can mark the roof with a pencil
or tape once you get your exact location.
drobert said in part->
Most important first step - Dryfit the MaxxAir cover and test the vent for height and square. Crank the vent open until it just touches the inside of the MaaxAir, then back it off slightly. Do this a few times until you're satisfied it is not too far back or forward.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #13
2013 Rockwood Roo 233s

Thanks guys, after all that I called the RV dealership and spoke with a RV tech. He told me he doesn't use the screws that come with the Maxair vent. He uses self tapping screws. I went home and installed it in 20 minutes...... Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions!