Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2016, 08:27 PM   #1

I'd Like To Add A Propane Quick Connect Fitting To The Undercarriage

I have a 2016 27HFS and I'd like to add a quick connect fitting to the propane line that is currently running under the camper. I'd like to add the fitting near the front steps where there is a compartment that I'll store the grill in.

Right now there is a "block" located under the camper that has 3 fittings on it for the propane (picture below). There is the main 1/2'' ID hose that runs into this block and then it runs out. Going out the side of the block is a smaller hose for the hot water heater.

[/URL][/IMG]

I have a similar block located near the middle of the camper and this one has has four fittings. The 1/2'' ID hose going in the front and then going out the back as well as two smaller fittings going out the side.

So I'd like to just get another one of these blocks with the four connections and replace my block that currently has three. Then I'll run a hose off the extra port and attach a quick connect fitting to it.

I can't seem to locate these blocks though. They have a sticker on them that say Flex Tech which is who makes the hose. When I go to their site the only thing I can find is hose. Does anyone know where I can get one of these blocks?

Thanks for any help.
Crop Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:28 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Fireplace store?
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
Fireplace store?
Worth a try.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:00 PM   #4

Don't know where your at but this is where I go for hoses and fittings.
Motion and Flow Control Products - MFCP, Inc.
They have quick connects and make custom hoses.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crop Duster View Post
I have a 2016 27HFS and I'd like to add a quick connect fitting to the propane line that is currently running under the camper. I'd like to add the fitting near the front steps where there is a compartment that I'll store the grill in.

Right now there is a "block" located under the camper that has 3 fittings on it for the propane (picture below). There is the main 1/2'' ID hose that runs into this block and then it runs out. Going out the side of the block is a smaller hose for the hot water heater.

[/URL][/IMG]

I have a similar block located near the middle of the camper and this one has has four fittings. The 1/2'' ID hose going in the front and then going out the back as well as two smaller fittings going out the side.

So I'd like to just get another one of these blocks with the four connections and replace my block that currently has three. Then I'll run a hose off the extra port and attach a quick connect fitting to it.

I can't seem to locate these blocks though. They have a sticker on them that say Flex Tech which is who makes the hose. When I go to their site the only thing I can find is hose. Does anyone know where I can get one of these blocks?

Thanks for any help.
So just let throw in some food for thought,this how it went for me, went threw the trouble of hooking up grill as you want to do, unless you get a 15' gas hose you'll be doing your grilling right up under your RV sort of speak, an if you happen to leave your grill on you would have depleted your LP an wife would be upset. I decided I'd rather have grill out by picnic table, use small gas bottles which last us a long time, or at very least have a separate LP bottle to control the use an you can use for a small LP fire pit. Just saying.
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:45 PM   #6

I know many RV's have quick-connects for external propane appliances, and I don't know how they are plumbed. I am told that grills cannot operate through TWO regulators. If your propane line under the RV goes through the regulator on the tank, then that line won't operate a grill, which also has it's own regulator. I know there must be a simple solution to this, but you should talk to someone who is familiar with this before you go too far on plumbing.
jjuscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
That's correct....trailer is low pressure system and grills are high pressure systems
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:17 PM   #8

The block is all pipe thread. A good hardware store that sells grills should have the quick connect and brass fittings. Otherwise a hydraulic or auto supply shop should have the fittings. Insert another tee between the hose and currrent tee. I did this on my trailer but as others have stated it is not a great idea and you don't save anything. I now use the bottles. Much more convenient.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 05:50 PM   #9

I located everything I needed via Harbor Freight. I used a brass T on the low pressure line. I installed a female quick connect and a shutoff valve. I bought a high quality 50' rubber air hose and affixed female hose quick connects on both ends. I built a male to male quick connect for the camper end aqnd I mounted a male quick connect to the grill after removing the bottle connector and regulator. All 4 burners work simultaneously with no problems. Be sure to use gas rated pipe thread sealant tape on the connections. In all, I spent around $35 and now I don't have to keep buying or refilling those little $3~$4 bottles of propane that always run out when you are in the middle of cooking.

Best of luck with your modifications ............ Swampy
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #10

Caution air quick connects are not the same as gas ones. They do not seal in the same manner and could be very dangerous.
palmetto rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:32 PM   #11

I pretty sure "block" your talking about is a standard 1/4 pipe fitting and you put what fittings you want in to it.As far as the quick disconnect.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ick+disconnect
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:35 PM   #12
DDC

You need to use proper propane quick disconnects, you can get them on amazon the brass fittings are ok but sealer should be for propane.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjuscg View Post
I know many RV's have quick-connects for external propane appliances, and I don't know how they are plumbed. I am told that grills cannot operate through TWO regulators. If your propane line under the RV goes through the regulator on the tank, then that line won't operate a grill, which also has it's own regulator. I know there must be a simple solution to this, but you should talk to someone who is familiar with this before you go too far on plumbing.

The solution is to remove the regulator on the grill or appliance and just replace it with a male QD nipple.. I have used Weber Q grills this way and Campchef appliances. I plug my 3 burner Campchef stove into the Roo and it has 3 30000 btu burners. I have 40' of hose and it works great. Its nice not carrying extra tanks.

On the Roo I did have to change the auto changeover regulator as the cheap one Rockwood used would not fully provide the needed volume for all 3 burners but a good Marshall hi flow one is less than $50.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #14

My 5th wheel has an undercarriage quick connect for the gas grill that came with it. However, their QC is proprietary, so standard propane connectors won't connect to the camper's. So, I made my own adapter, and ti works fine.
The idea was not so that I could use a grill with it, but so that I can use propane for my generator. It is a dual fuel generator, and I prefer running it on propane instead of gasoline. Runs fine, and I have a long hose so that my generator isn't too close to the RV.
MOODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #15

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Coleman Roadtrip that I have already modified so it will run off the low pressure on the camper. It is permanently mounted on a sliding tray in the front compartment. Now I just need to make the quick connect to the trailer.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #16

As one other writer commented, trailers use low pressure LP and grills work better on high pressure. So you'll be able to grill hot dogs, brats, hamburgers, and chicken, but you can't get a grill hot enough to sear steaks. Mine also flared up when I started it and it is hooked up under the awning and next to the trailer so I bought a portable. By the way I have one that hooks up to the trailer for sale.
dsiegler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:17 PM   #17

The solution is to buy one of these.
https://accessories.lazydays.com/fle...CsXBoCHILw_wcB
These things re everwhere.I have one i'll give ya if your anywhere around sacramento area and the mounting bracket
Old 11-12-2016, 11:24 PM   #18

This is fun.
https://www.amazon.com/Flame-King-10.../dp/B00IZCNN72
Old 11-13-2016, 06:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsiegler View Post
As one other writer commented, trailers use low pressure LP and grills work better on high pressure. So you'll be able to grill hot dogs, brats, hamburgers, and chicken, but you can't get a grill hot enough to sear steaks. Mine also flared up when I started it and it is hooked up under the awning and next to the trailer so I bought a portable. By the way I have one that hooks up to the trailer for sale.

When your using your grill, no matter what its connected to, its low pressure. Your grill has a regulator that drops the high pressure at the tank that could be as high as 200 psi to 11 inches water column. Your RV's LP regulator is supposed to be set at 11 inches water column and most RV auto changeover regulators are rated for at least 160000 BTU. LP gas grills operate on 11 inches water column. 11 inches water column is less than 0.5 psi. You'll be hard pressed to find a gas grill that requires more then 70000 BTU and you're not going to be dragging a monster like that off to the campground, well I guess you could, don't know why you would want to...........Even then your RV's propane system is more than capable of supplying it. The typical Sidekick or Camco type grill for RV's that clip to the side are rated less than 20000 BTU.

What happens sometime is even though your RV regulator is rated at a certain BTU, the RV manufacturer used a cheap piece of junk and it will not pass the volume. A simple fix, just change it to a quality high flow regulator like a Marshall Excelsior. The size of the factory installed lines under the camper is inconsequential because the runs are not that long.

You may not be able to sear steaks, but I could fry 3 turkeys if I wanted to at the same time on my Camp chef stove that has 3-30000 BTU burners and it takes a heck of a lot more to fry a turkey than to sear a steak. I can use all 3 burners at the same time and they operate just the same connected to our Roo as when its connected to a stand alone 20 pound tank. You have to remove the regulator from the grill or stove to use them connected to your RV.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 AM   #20
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
I located everything I needed via Harbor Freight. I used a brass T on the low pressure line. I installed a female quick connect and a shutoff valve. I bought a high quality 50' rubber air hose and affixed female hose quick connects on both ends. I built a male to male quick connect for the camper end aqnd I mounted a male quick connect to the grill after removing the bottle connector and regulator. All 4 burners work simultaneously with no problems. Be sure to use gas rated pipe thread sealant tape on the connections. In all, I spent around $35 and now I don't have to keep buying or refilling those little $3~$4 bottles of propane that always run out when you are in the middle of cooking.

Best of luck with your modifications ............ Swampy
Oh my, ...using an "air hose" on an LP Gas Vapor System is an accident waiting to happen.
D W is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane