Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 04:50 PM   #21

I like simplicity. I travel with super heavy duty contractor cleanup bags. Ond of those will cover a pedestal with ease.

As for mine getting wet right now, don't see that happening. No rain here since early June and no rain forecast for the next several weeks.

So dry I swear I can hear trees and bushes whispering "Thank You" when my puppy whizzes on them.

Who knows, maybe this winter we'll get all our annual rainfall in one week, or worse yet, in the form of snow.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:55 AM   #22

I love the 5gal bucket idea,,, but a trash bag would take up a lot less space !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:14 AM   #23
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I took a 3 liter soda bottle and cut the bottom out, then split it lengthwise.
The neck of the bottle fits nicely over the cord and the bottle part covers the EMS and the connections. I turn the split towards the pedestal. I don't have a close up of it but here's a photo that somewhat shows it and you'll get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ems_cover.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	150090  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
I took a 3 liter soda bottle and cut the bottom out, then split it lengthwise.
The neck of the bottle fits nicely over the cord and the bottle part covers the EMS and the connections. I turn the split towards the pedestal. I don't have a close up of it but here's a photo that somewhat shows it and you'll get the idea.
I like that solution. Looks good.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:50 AM   #25

Bob213 and 007matman, I used the same idea successfully for years. Used a short electrical cord to go from the plug into the EMS, then a longer cord to my TT. Then kept the toolbox under my TT for additional protection from rain (which could have splashed in through the holes I cut for the cord. I was cautioned against using extensions that were too long, though. With my new 5th wheel I decided to have a hardwired EMS instead. Bout the same price and much more convenient. My only concern with trash bags is possible overheating or shorting melting the bag. Course if the EMS works properly, it probably isn't an issue.
rogerkathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 07:41 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkathy View Post
Bob213 and 007matman, I used the same idea successfully for years. Used a short electrical cord to go from the plug into the EMS, then a longer cord to my TT. Then kept the toolbox under my TT for additional protection from rain (which could have splashed in through the holes I cut for the cord. I was cautioned against using extensions that were too long, though. With my new 5th wheel I decided to have a hardwired EMS instead. Bout the same price and much more convenient. My only concern with trash bags is possible overheating or shorting melting the bag. Course if the EMS works properly, it probably isn't an issue.
Sounds like in the past a lot of cords & plugs ???
Ours is pretty much covered by the cover on the post !!!
I bought a lock box but have never used it !!!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:26 AM   #27

I lock mine.. we actually had a hub cap stolen from my camper when we were in Iowa this summer. I'm not taking any chances there. I run a cable through the spokes of the aluminum wheel on my TT and padlock that to the cable. It won't completely stop them but it'll definitely slow them down.

The 2 Liter bottle would still work with that so I think I might try that solution for now.

Who would steal a friggin hub cap anyway.. blew my mind.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007matman View Post
I lock mine.. we actually had a hub cap stolen from my camper when we were in Iowa this summer. I'm not taking any chances there. I run a cable through the spokes of the aluminum wheel on my TT and padlock that to the cable. It won't completely stop them but it'll definitely slow them down.

The 2 Liter bottle would still work with that so I think I might try that solution for now.

Who would steal a friggin hub cap anyway.. blew my mind.
That was big business back in the day !!!
Baby Moons & Spinners !!! LOL !!!
I think I am going to get a bike lock,,, so I can lock up our 0 Gravity Chairs @ night !!!
Old 08-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
That was big business back in the day !!!
Baby Moons & Spinners !!! LOL !!!
I think I am going to get a bike lock,,, so I can lock up our 0 Gravity Chairs @ night !!!
They were for the aluminum wheels on our trailer and they're pretty specific to those wheels.

We got to the KOA and I was like, Look! Two other trailers just like ours! Cool! The kids thought it was interesting too. We left for the day and came back late at night. The next morning we got up later and both of them were gone.. so was my hub cap.

This is the cable lock I bought.. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-3...MaArJgEALw_wcB

That and a couple of padlocks are all you need.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:11 AM   #30

Quote:
They were for the aluminum wheels on our trailer and they're pretty specific to those wheels.

We got to the KOA and I was like, Look! Two other trailers just like ours! Cool! The kids thought it was interesting too. We left for the day and came back late at night. The next morning we got up later and both of them were gone.. so was my hub cap.

This is the cable lock I bought.. https://m.lowes.com/pd/Master-Lock-3...MaArJgEALw_wcB

That and a couple of padlocks are all you need.
I did not know that Aluminum wheels had hub caps ???
That cable would work very well,,, but I think we can find a Combination Bike lock @ Wally World for about the same price,,,
and won't need a padlock ???
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #31

Quote:
I did not know that Aluminum wheels had hub caps ???
That cable would work very well,,, but I think we can find a Combination Bike lock @ Wally World for about the same price,,,
and won't need a padlock ???
These do.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...waAo0pEALw_wcB

It's the cable length that's nice.. Wally world may have something similar. This one is 30 feet and built well.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:37 AM   #32

Quote:
These do.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...waAo0pEALw_wcB

It's the cable length that's nice.. Wally world may have something similar. This one is 30 feet and built well.
Nice looking Wheels !!!
Looks like they have a Hub Cover !!!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:48 AM   #33

Quote:
Nice looking Wheels !!!
Looks like they have a Hub Cover !!!
Hub cap/cover whatever.. who invited the grammar cop?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEMS LOT View Post
I was wondering if anyone had a tip for keeping my Progressive Industries 30 amp PT30C EMS from getting wet from the rain. I had thought of a large freezer bag zip tied at the top around the cord. looking for a better idea and thought someone else had came up with something. I wish they came with some kind of factory cover. TIA

I just recently posted how I handled this. Check out:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1558931
gjcrawford111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #35

I use a shoebox plastic container (deep one) and cut holes at the top and bottom. It lays flat when running the generator and I can see the display because the box is clear plastic. On the power pole I don't really use it because the unit is supposed to be able to handle water vertically.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #36

I modified the entrance service cable so I can keep the EMS-30 inside. Have a regular 30 amp female receptacle behind a cabinet drawer. Stays dry and pretty much theftproof, unless they take the whole trailer.