Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 06:07 PM   #1

Ineffective AC on 2016 Sandpiper 365asqb

I just took delivery of a new 2016 Sandpiper and was disappointed on our first weekend to find that the AC doesn’t really cool all that well. I just traded a 34’ Windjammer with a 15k that would freeze you out and yet this 40’ with a 15k and the 13.5k won’t cool the back of the camper. I took the cover off from the inside and found some inefficiencies the the ducting but there seems to be little airflow to the bunkhouse in the rear. I corrected the inefficiencies at the unit with duct tape/foil tape and saw minimal increase in airflow yet when you flip[ the vent to the quick cool (non ducted) there is really good volume of air. The front ac 13.5K is located over the front bedroom and will freeze you out of the bedroom and bathroom…but no dice in the rear…any thoughts?
BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:37 PM   #2
Plain Old Member

Several have added a 3rd AC, replacing the vent in the bunk house. Most I've seen have been wired independent of the main box, by adding an additional 30 amp twist lock Furrion / Marinco inlet, routing wires through cabinets and up through the ceiling to the vent location. Just an option. Any rig that big needs 3 in my opinion. We only had 2 on our 40' Silverback, and with a few mods to the ducting and AC's, it kind of kept up. Really needed a 3rd though.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #3
Always Learning

BDavis- different camper but similar layout and A/Cs. We have the exact same situation with air in the bunkhouse.

I know some people have removed the vents and usually find that they're taped very poorly. Additionally, the air duct/plenum doesn't stop at the last vent and instead lets air run to the back and dump out into the ceiling cavity. I've heard of people taping that off to force more air at the last vent.

And wait until you realize you're 1/2-bath possibly has no heating or air vents. (Ours doesn't.)
Old 10-08-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Plain Old Member

Kind of sort of some of the mods we did. Air deflector coming off of the squirrel cage blowers directly to ducts. I made some vents have "scoops" per say to direct more air flow to certain areas. And, even though ours had a circular duct system, which to me was not a good design, I baffled off each duct at the last vent. I was able to maintain a lot cooler temps after these simple things. At one time I may have posted some pictures but can't remember.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 PM   #5
Site Team

If can check to insure that some of the ducts are not smashed or disconnected. I had one that was about 50% restricted by an 110AC wire run that was cut too short. I also found one duct disconnected from the vent.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:21 PM   #6

Have same problem on a Trilogy 3650 RL, 39 ft., same AC set up. On ours the front 13.5 works very well and but is not ducted to back. This past weekend we placed a small 9 inch, three speed metal fan near the bed aimed at stairs, which was just enough to push the extra cold air from the bedroom, down to the ceiling fan in the main cabin and it worked (both units cool down vents open). Full Florida sun, maintained a constant 77 degrees front and back, without AC’s running constantly.
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:35 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies. I have looked at the ducting and made some minor modifications that hopefully would work. On an 98 degree day here in Florida I was only able to get the bunk area down to 87 degrees. I am liking the idea of the 3rd AC unit in the back. Have to do some research as I would really like it on a thermostat if possible. I saw somewhere else where somebody bought a portable AC unit from Home Depot (8000 btu) and ducted the exhaust to the outside. They had it built into one of the rear storage cabinets on the back wall. Anybody have any pics of a 3rd unit installed?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:37 AM   #8

We fortunately do have vents into the full and 1/2 bath. The back 1/2 bath of course has poor flow. Hmmmm....Gonna contact the manufacture here as well. This should be better.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #9

We installed a floor register in the ceiling. It doubled the air flow much like the vents you open on the A/C. Easy to do with a sabre saw or dry wall saw. Reach in the hole to gauge where the duct is and cut. We painted the duct white and it looks great.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsdaletc View Post
We installed a floor register in the ceiling. It doubled the air flow much like the vents you open on the A/C. Easy to do with a sabre saw or dry wall saw. Reach in the hole to gauge where the duct is and cut. We painted the duct white and it looks great.
Great idea, They make all sizes of those floor registers.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #11

Make sure that the unit is cooling also, I just had mine replaced under warranty. There were about 25 of them piled up that had been replaced. I asked if they were having problems out of them and the tech told me that they received 60 trailers that they weren't working. Found out that 2 wires were switch at the factory on the compressors.
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:26 PM   #12
Plain Old Member

BDavis, here's a link where user name "Smoo" did the 3rd AC on the Sierra version of yours. Not sure if you had seen it or not.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...q-53992-3.html

Page 3 has pictures of it.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:23 AM   #13

What unit is up there. Think that it could be a defective A/C unit. I have a 33 ft Class C motorhome(realize apples and oranges) with a 15K unit(w/heat) - and it performs really poorly. Still does and yes - I missed my window to duke it out with the manufacture -> Dometic. On hot days, we were lucky to keep to 80 if when I rig was located with no shade. We ended up with a second unit(15K - not cost effective to go with a 13.5) in the back/bedroom that can almost cool the whole rig. I am waiting on the day that unit gives up the ghost to replace knowing the replacement will probably solve all of our issues.
cmalberto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
365, sandpiper