Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 06:15 AM   #501

I might have to get that digital thermostat, after all.

The original thermostat had an "on-off" switch at the bottom of the thermostat, like every other thermostat that I've seen.

The new analog thermostat doesn't have an "on-off" switch at the bottom...just the temperature slide bar at the top. It does have "off" all the way to the left of that slide bar, though.

I figured that by being in the "off" (far left) position, that the heat would not come on.

When I went to get into my truck this morning to come to work, I could hear the heater fan blowing. Fortunately, I had turned off the propane yesterday, so the heat was not blowing.

I couldn't get the motor to turn off so I pulled the cover of the thermostat off, and undid the wires, because I was in a hurry.

The heater fan still continued to run, until it finished it's cycle, then it shut off.

What's going on here??

Does the fan motor run occasionally, just because? And I just happened to go outside at the time for it to cycle?

Rich

1999 21' Wildwood WDF21RK

2006 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4, Quad cab, 5.9L Cummins, 3.73 gears.
rollscanardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 AM   #502

I did a remodel on an old 1986 jamboree Rallye before buying my current travel trailer. You may have done what I did. You can't use a home thermostat in a camper (I just bought a cheap one from Tractor supply) You need one specifically for RVs. That separate on-off switch is the key. BTW this post you created is awesome! You've done some incredible work. I hope you get to enjoy the spoils of your labor for years to come. I've certainly enjoyed following your progress.
Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 AM   #503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmcglynn264 View Post
I did a remodel on an old 1986 jamboree Rallye before buying my current travel trailer. You may have done what I did. You can't use a home thermostat in a camper (I just bought a cheap one from Tractor supply) You need one specifically for RVs. That separate on-off switch is the key. BTW this post you created is awesome! You've done some incredible work. I hope you get to enjoy the spoils of your labor for years to come. I've certainly enjoyed following your progress.
Thank you for the kind words. I thought that the thermostat that I bought is an RV thermostat, made by Suburban, the same company that made the heater.

But...maybe it's not....
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT...I just went to Amazon's website and read the Q&A's. People said that it will click when the lever is all the way to the left/off position. I don't remember feeling it click. I'll try again, today after work.

Rich

Old 05-13-2019, 09:40 AM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmcglynn264 View Post
Not true!!!

I've put a Honeywell RTH111b in two RV's (one furnace only; one AC and furnace) and many others have done similar mods with other home T-stats. Do a search and you'll find many threads on this.

SOME RV's use T-stats that use power from the RV (like a ColemanMach). However, you don't need to use this power if your T-stat is battery powered.

See attached for the conversion of my Mini Lite 2503S conversion from ColemanMach to Honeywell RTH111b. (I had to add the separate fan switch to maintain the two AC fan speeds as the Honeywell isn't set up for 2 fans speeds.)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thermostsat wiring with internal switches.pdf (194.6 KB, 26 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:03 AM   #505

I got home and took off the cover, and sure enough, there was a little "bump" that made the lever click "off".

I hadn't pushed the lever over that far before now, so....we'll see if that keeps it off.

Rich

Old 05-17-2019, 07:37 AM   #506

What an amazing thread!! rollscanardly you are very talented I enjoyed scrolling through and watching the process on the refurb!! Your 5th wheel will give you a ton of memories as well as last longer than anything built from the factory!!
AplhaWolfHup55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM   #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by AplhaWolfHup55 View Post
What an amazing thread!! rollscanardly you are very talented I enjoyed scrolling through and watching the process on the refurb!! Your 5th wheel will give you a ton of memories as well as last longer than anything built from the factory!!

Thanks...I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've got to admit...this camper is old(er) and not nearly as nice as the newer campers, but for what it is, we love it.

As a matter of fact, it's all hooked to the truck and we'll be heading out with it in about 1.5 hrs.!

Rich

Old 05-17-2019, 07:39 PM   #508

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollscanardly View Post
Thanks...I'm glad you enjoyed it. I've got to admit...this camper is old(er) and not nearly as nice as the newer campers, but for what it is, we love it.

As a matter of fact, it's all hooked to the truck and we'll be heading out with it in about 1.5 hrs.!

Rich
I sure hope y'all have a great time camping in it. It took me two nights, but I read every post and throughly enjoyed your refurbishing efforts. You did an awesome job. Thanks for sharing!

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, wildwood