Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 PM   #1

Installed Maxx Air vents

Getting ready for our maiden voyage in the new TT next week. The odor & burning eyes sensation from the chemicals used in the construction has been a concern. The TT is at a commerical storage facility, so I can't just leave it open to air out.

So I decided to install a couple of Maxx Air vents. This way I could leave the vents open, and the exhaust fan on low, all week, with no fear of rain getting in. This worked great! I can't detect the odor anymore, and my eyes no longer burn. Hopefully the wife will report the same when we load it up this weekend.

Very easy to install these

Drill 4 holes through the existing vent frame, set the cover in place, bolt it down. No holes through the roof.

It was a little more challenging with the vent with the fan. Screws had to be removed to drop the fan. This allowed access so the nuts could be put on the screws used to hold the vent brackets in place.

Worthwhile project. And my first (of many) mods to my TT...
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #2

Yup, same as mine. They will serve you well for many years.
Cheers
Bear

2000 Volvo 660 D12 425 hp 1550 torque 15 speed, Trailer Saver air ride hitch. 2006 Canadian Sport 385 RLTS 40'10" triple slide, triple axle 5'er toybox, 300 watts solar, 3000 watt inverter, Onan 5500 Marques Platnum. 1998 Polaris 300 Explorer 4X4 quad, 2003 Polaris 700 Sportsman 4X4 quad, 1994 Jeep YJ "TOAD" 3" lift 31" ProComp Mud Terrain tires

https://community.webshots.com/user/Bears319

https://www.picturetrail.com/bears319

Mission Statement : ZZZZzzzzz
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:22 PM   #3

Smile

Hello,
Thanks for sharing your modification information. My family purchase a Flagstaff 27BHSS a couple of months ago. I have started some modifications of my own and have been considering installing a Maxx Air vent.

Question; Where did you get the power supply for the fan?

Happy camping!!

Honda Generator, Small Dog,
Beautiful Wife and 3 Special Daughters
GandBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:35 PM   #4

Good job on the Maxx-Air vent covers, Robert.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:08 PM   #5

GandBL,

The rear vent came with a Create-A-Breeze Fan already installed. These are only weather covers that permit the vents being open during rain storms.

However, I can see that they tapped off the bathroom light. When the light is turned off at the switch, the fan is off too.
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz
When the light is turned off at the switch, the fan is off too.
I was telling the DW last weekend that I had to do something about that light/fan switch. I think I'll either run a hot wire to the Create-A-Breeze Fan or add another switch.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 AM   #7

Here is the vent cover that is recommended for the create a breeze fan, Maxx Air Model 800. I have it installed and am happy with it. Conventional Maxx Airs on the other two vents.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...13655&src=SRQB
midnightpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 10:05 PM   #8

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
Here is the vent cover that is recommended for the create a breeze fan, Maxx Air Model 800. I have it installed and am happy with it. Conventional Maxx Airs on the other two vents.
Interesting! I was looking at one of those at the trailer show a couple of weeks ago.... I couldn't see a great advantage over the conventional covers I have now. Do you find them better?

Actually I noticed another line of conventional covers made by Camco, much like the MaxAirs except you can remover the screen section to clean inside it, which is a nice thing.
http://www.camco.net/Menu.cfm?SupCat...ProductId=2190
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #9

Just reviving this thread

Personally I think the Max Air Vent Covers are probably one of the BEST, EASIEST, and MOST NECESSARY mods to make to ANY RV. While negotiating for my 5'er I tried to get the dealer to install them for me (4 on mine). He said "sure we can and we'll do it for only $58 each) I turned him down on that one. A week after taking delivery on the trailer I headed over to Camping World and it just so happened that they were running a special of buy one get the second half off. Well I needed 4 so it was like getting one free. I think it took me all of an hour at MOST to install all 4. Besides I know it was done RIGHT (I'm a bit of a perfectionist mine and my friends stuff).

I don't know how many times I've seen trailers running down the highway without them and their vents wide open and torn up. I've been successful in pulling only 1 over and inform them of the issue. With these covers on you can run on the highway with your vents open if you need to or perhaps forgot to close them and no damage to your vents. Besides, I think they just look kool.

greg
aintgotnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:26 PM   #10

Yup, those are on my list of "To do" list.......little easier for me, I only need two.

MrSen

Night's camped in 2010 36
MrSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #11

Still on one of my (many) lists also...

Is this vent really required for the vent with the fan installed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightpumpkin View Post
The way I read it, it looks like 2manytoyz installed a standard vent over the fan...

MrSen, 'only need two'? Were you going to not install one on the bath vent/fan?
Old 05-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #12

They were the first addition on every unit I have owned!!!

Great product imo

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
Roy

FYI....
Camping World and RV suppliers have now brackets available to modify the original fixed mounts for the vent covers so they hinge and you are able to clean your vent screens without having to remove bolts. These new brackets run about $9.00

Roy
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy View Post
FYI....
Camping World and RV suppliers have now brackets available to modify the original fixed mounts for the vent covers so they hinge and you are able to clean your vent screens without having to remove bolts. These new brackets run about $9.00

Roy
Sounds pretty slick. I just might have to check them out.

Thanks,
greg
Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #15

silly question I know...I assume it is safe to climb on the roof? I have a maxair for the front vent but have not tried to install it yet.
camper22406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper22406 View Post
silly question I know...I assume it is safe to climb on the roof? I have a maxair for the front vent but have not tried to install it yet.
You betcha! Just be safe about it, don't fall off, wear good rubber soled shoes (so you don't slip), make sure your shoes are clean no rocks (very bad on rubber roofs). Most RV roofs are 3/8" plywood (some are 1/2") with a pretty sturdy sub-frame under them.

Now if you're on the large side (over 275lbs), you may want to grab a couple of half sheets of clean 1/4" or 1/2" plywood and use those to distribute the weight more evenly across a larger area. Make sure the edges and corners are sanded smooth. Use the "place one infront of the other" routine and walk yourself over to where you need to be. If you use this method you may want to place your tools and other items in a bucket and leave them on the ground and tie a rope to it to pull up after you get to where you're going.

Just be careful and use common sense. Keep control of your tools and sharp objects. Remember you are doing a modification and don't want to have to do a repair job on the rubber roof afterwards.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

Greg
Old 05-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #17

Oh, and while you're up there, it's a perfect time to wash your roof and check for tears and potential problems around the objects on your roof (AC, skylights, ladder mounts, TV antenna............)

And you don't need any "special" rubber roof cleaner or treatments (waste of money and may void your warrenty). Plain 'ol car wash soap or Simple Green work just fine. Get a good soft scrub brush on an extension handle though to speed up the process.

greg
Old 05-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by aintgotnun View Post
Oh, and while you're up there, it's a perfect time to wash your roof and check for tears and potential problems around the objects on your roof (AC, skylights, ladder mounts, TV antenna............)

And you don't need any "special" rubber roof cleaner or treatments (waste of money and may void your warrenty). Plain 'ol car wash soap or Simple Green work just fine. Get a good soft scrub brush on an extension handle though to speed up the process.

greg

Well said and I use murphy's oil soap on my roof and it works GREAT!

Mike
MRimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:52 PM   #19

Send a message via MSN to welshman599
Thought I'd revive this post to ask a question.... I have Maxairs on all 4 vents, including the two bath vents that have Fantastic fans. What is everyone's thoughts on replacing those two covers with the ones designed for the higher airflow of those bath fans? If I didn't already have the regular covers and if they weren't in good shape, I wouldn't think twice, but is there enough advantage to warrent upgrading?

83 sweet sweet days camped in 2008 - not easy in my neck of the woods!
welshman599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #20
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzat View Post
I was telling the DW last weekend that I had to do something about that light/fan switch. I think I'll either run a hot wire to the Create-A-Breeze Fan or add another switch.
This works for me. Turn the light switch, the light and the fan on. Now use the switch on either the light or the fan to control that individual unit.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote