Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM   #1

Installed Stromberg Carlson Lend-A-Hand

The wife wanted one of the folding grab handles on our Puma 30DBSS. I read lots of cases of there not being a stud framing the door, so I used a very small drill bit initially. Turns out ours is framed properly (why they wouldn't frame around the door on any RV is beyond me) so I had no problems mounting it. I plan to use a piece of either flat or angle aluminum to keep the handle from being locked in place in front of the door.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #2

You know, I have one of these installed on my 30DBSS from the factory which is very nice. I never thought of the fact that someone could come over in the night and close it the wrong way and essentially lock us in our camper. I know I could crawl out the window but I might have to look at a way to restrict the way this thing pivots. I don't know, maybe it is something that we will never have to worry about.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travyp View Post
You know, I have one of these installed on my 30DBSS from the factory which is very nice. I never thought of the fact that someone could come over in the night and close it the wrong way and essentially lock us in our camper. I know I could crawl out the window but I might have to look at a way to restrict the way this thing pivots. I don't know, maybe it is something that we will never have to worry about.
There ARE so crazy people out there. I've never thought about that either.

Hmmmmm...might need to bring this up with the hubby.
Kariworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 12:42 PM   #4

In my research before installing, I ran across some posts where people had experienced it. They seemed to think, and I agree, that it was most likely just kids pulling a prank. I would rather avoid it, though. You never know if there might be an emergency and you need to get out ASAP. If I mod it to restrict that, I'll try to post some pictures of my solution.
Old 09-28-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Wanna Be Camper

If you keep it from locking in place, how will you prevent it from deploying while on the road?

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks
If you keep it from locking in place, how will you prevent it from deploying while on the road?
I believe he means being able to not lock it towards the door only.
It would still lock the other way.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
The wife wanted one of the folding grab handles on our Puma 30DBSS. I read lots of cases of there not being a stud framing the door, so I used a very small drill bit initially. Turns out ours is framed properly (why they wouldn't frame around the door on any RV is beyond me) so I had no problems mounting it. I plan to use a piece of either flat or angle aluminum to keep the handle from being locked in place in front of the door.
I'd never thought about my handle being put across my door and after reading this I probably never will again. Too much paranoia in the world nowadays.

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I believe he means being able to not lock it towards the door only.
It would still lock the other way.

Turbs
Exactly.