Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #21
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdude View Post
I put aluminum AC duct tape behind the lite bulbs, and it sure brighten it up
Did the same thing on mine. Ordered a 10 PK of 28 SMD LED Bulbs on a 1157/2057 base from Walmart for $12 delivered. Plenty bright!

The problem with the LED upgrade fixtures is that they are COB's and the module is generally sealed, so if an LED burns out you have to replace the whole module. Expensive!
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I use these. No way I was going to mess around with the original piece of junk the trailer came with.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...xoCajAQAvD_BwE
Babock, these double LED lights from E-trailer are nice and large. My LED replacements are much more modest in size, but I figured the five-foot long light strip mounted below my rear window would add a lot of visibility.

I have a trailer shop nearby me in Ephrata, PA, and they have an unbelievable selection of LED lights at good prices. I am also adding an LED license plate light, as my replacement tail lights do not have a down-facing license plate light window as the old incandescent lights did.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Did the same thing on mine. Ordered a 10 PK of 28 SMD LED Bulbs on a 1157/2057 base from Walmart for $12 delivered. Plenty bright!

The problem with the LED upgrade fixtures is that they are COB's and the module is generally sealed, so if an LED burns out you have to replace the whole module. Expensive!
I have used many sealed LED lights. Never had a failure.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:40 AM   #24

TitanMike, does the resistor snap into the bulb socket or does it have to be hard wired into the circuit somehow? I had not heard of these resistors so that's good to know.

I think you're right about the impatient drivers. I get irritated with the drivers who are 300 feet behind you when you start to change lanes and they floor it to cut you off. My brother has a four-trumpet train horn and an air tank mounted on his F-250 and that thing will wake the dead. It really sounds like you're right next to a train. It can be switched on/off, so his horn button can operate the factory horn or he can hit the switch and use his train horn when he touches the steering wheel horn button. I would love to have one on my truck when these yo-yo's cut me off in their Lexus. They would likely jump through their sunroof at the sound of a train in the lane next to them and, with my luck, probably cause an accident.

I also like it because he carries 50 ft. of air hose and has a hose outlet by the rear bumper, so he can air up any tire on his rig wherever he is.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 04-13-2019, 07:53 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
TitanMike, does the resistor snap into the bulb socket or does it have to be hard wired into the circuit somehow? I had not heard of these resistors so that's good to know.

I think you're right about the impatient drivers. I get irritated with the drivers who are 300 feet behind you when you start to change lanes and they floor it to cut you off. My brother has a four-trumpet train horn and an air tank mounted on his F-250 and that thing will wake the dead. It really sounds like you're right next to a train. It can be switched on/off, so his horn button can operate the factory horn or he can hit the switch and use his train horn when he touches the steering wheel horn button. I would love to have one on my truck when these yo-yo's cut me off in their Lexus. They would likely jump through their sunroof at the sound of a train in the lane next to them and, with my luck, probably cause an accident.

I also like it because he carries 50 ft. of air hose and has a hose outlet by the rear bumper, so he can air up any tire on his rig wherever he is.
The resistor is connected from "hot" wire to tail light to ground. You only need one per side

An alternative is to install an electronic flasher rather than use the old school thermal type that relies on load to heat a strip that breaks circuit then makes circuit again when cooled.

The electronic type is independent of load and are often prescribed for vehicles towing trailers if they weren't wired with relays for trailer lights.

As for the train horn, good and bad. The good is you'll probably cause the driver to defecate, reaching them a lesson. Bad part, scared people often react by slamming on the brakes, causing an accident. I wouldn't use the big horn unless I was certain the only accident would be in their britches.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #26

Finished LED Tail Lights

So, after a couple months of delays, I have finally completed the installation of my LED taillights, a new license plate light and a pickup-truck light strip across the back of the trailer.

The LED's are much brighter than the old incandescent lights.

And I especially like the light strip mounted high up on the rear of the trailer, underneath the window. It provides 1) taling lights 2) bright red brake lights, and 3) yellow sequential turn signals. It is my hope that those drivers who could not see my dull incandescent turn signals will be well aware of the intention to siganl now. (Not that it may make a difference to some of the aggressive jackasses out there.)

I had planned to bring the trailer wiring out through the back wall of the trailer and mount the light strip just above the spare tire. But I wanted to wire it in such a way that I did not disturb the four-pin plug attached to the pickup strip light. I also considered bringing a four stranded wire along the bottom of the trailer from the TV to connect to the pin plug at the back of the trailer.

In an "Aha" moment, I realized that if I mounted the light strip just under the rear window, I could run the connection wire right inside the trailer and connect the wires behind the couch in the back of my trailer. I have a full width couch across the back of the trailer.

The good thing about this approach was that I have very little wire showing on the back of the RV. There was even a gap in the rubber stripping around the window so the wire fit right in with little necessity to have the window slightly "open."

Now I am thinking about mounting tail and turn signal flashers where the rear side "marker" lights are. I may be too into this lighting thing.

The attached photo shows the tailights along with the left blinker. When both "blinkers" activate (i.e., tail lights) the light strip turns bright red.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-Taillights-Blinker.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	343.4 KB
ID:	207259  

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 06-20-2019, 02:00 PM   #27
Retired Old Fart

Quote:
The attached photo shows the tailights along with the left blinker. When both "blinkers" activate (i.e., tail lights) the light strip turns bright red.
I had never thought about one of those truck tailgate lights, that is a great idea.

What brand/model did you use?
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #28

I did the similar thing to my hybrid for the strip lights.

I have posted this in another spot

https://youtu.be/Qz6vNGIVLfg

https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Redline-...gateway&sr=8-3

Redline Triple LED Tailgate Brake Light Bar with Reverse & Sequential Turn Signals - OPT7

They are super bright and the reverse light is nice. I have the same setup on my truck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190519_145819.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	132.0 KB
ID:	207848  
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #29
Camper

Quote:
So, after a couple months of delays, I have finally completed the installation of my LED taillights, a new license plate light and a pickup-truck light strip across the back of the trailer.

The LED's are much brighter than the old incandescent lights.

And I especially like the light strip mounted high up on the rear of the trailer, underneath the window. It provides 1) taling lights 2) bright red brake lights, and 3) yellow sequential turn signals. It is my hope that those drivers who could not see my dull incandescent turn signals will be well aware of the intention to siganl now. (Not that it may make a difference to some of the aggressive jackasses out there.)

I had planned to bring the trailer wiring out through the back wall of the trailer and mount the light strip just above the spare tire. But I wanted to wire it in such a way that I did not disturb the four-pin plug attached to the pickup strip light. I also considered bringing a four stranded wire along the bottom of the trailer from the TV to connect to the pin plug at the back of the trailer.

In an "Aha" moment, I realized that if I mounted the light strip just under the rear window, I could run the connection wire right inside the trailer and connect the wires behind the couch in the back of my trailer. I have a full width couch across the back of the trailer.

The good thing about this approach was that I have very little wire showing on the back of the RV. There was even a gap in the rubber stripping around the window so the wire fit right in with little necessity to have the window slightly "open."

Now I am thinking about mounting tail and turn signal flashers where the rear side "marker" lights are. I may be too into this lighting thing.

Can you provide a link to the tail lights and strip you used? I broke on of the locking tabs on my Bargman 92 series tail lights last week when checking for a burnt out bulb. The factory siliconed the lens onto the base. I was looking at the Bargman series 84 as a replacement but they are huge. Close to 8x10, that is almost the size of a sheet of letter sized paper. And the set would be just shy of 100 bucks and then I need to buy a license plate light and bracket. I could just buy a new series 92 light for about 7 bucks but what fun is that?

TV - 2006 F350 6.0 DRW CC
TT - 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:47 AM   #30

Yes I have the tail light manfacturer info for you from my trailer dealer near Ephrata, PA. They have dozens of options to choose from. It is a

Maxxima M63322RCL

This is a link to my seller's page for this light:

https://www.thetrailershoppe.com/product/stop-tail-turn-light-6-oval-9-led-surface-mount

Mine are about 6" x 3" so they are modest in size but very bright. This is a much better option than putting LED bulbs in an incandescent light fixture. I think this light also comes with a chome bezel if you want that. I also added an LED license plate lamp since these lights are almost flush with the trailer and have no downward facing light for the plate. I also used this model light becasue they are true "flush mount" lights with no protrotruding surfaces on the back. The hole in the trailer wall for the old light more than accommodates the new lighting.

My dealer's selection of LED lights is extensive. Of course I go to the shop itself in Ephrata, PA, and get to see the lights before I buy. Their website is

www.thetrailershoppe.com

The light strip (Red Lion Tailgate LED Light by OPT7) was pretty inexpensive at about $115 and pretty cool because it has sequential turn signals in yellow with a logic cicuit built in. When the "brake light" flashes in back for a split second then turns off (as for turn signal), the light strip flashes yellow in three sequences. When the lights stay on longer than a second or two (brakes), the yellow extinguishes and the bright red light strip activates across the whole length of the strip. It also has a very bright white backup light but I do not have that hooked up at this time since I'd have to run new wiring to the back of the trailer.

We're heading out on a big trip to the midwest so I am interested to see how the new lighting affects cars behind me when I am signalling to change lanes. I guess if they are rude or in a hurry it won't do anything!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV-Taillight2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	473.4 KB
ID:	207886   Click image for larger version

Name:	LicPlateLight.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	424.5 KB
ID:	207887  

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 06-22-2019, 06:37 AM   #31
Camper

Thank you very much for the detailed info.

Those look like a nice option, and I like the addition on the strip.

I will be looking hard at these.

I am thinking, if I add a converter, I can install 4 of these and have separate turn signals and stop lights for less than the series 84s.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #32

So we are on the road now and, after leaving Lancaster County, PA, we have camped in western PA, central Ohio and now Northern Michigan. We've traveled a lot of miles on a lot of roads with the new tail light setup including the light strip. I see a noticeable change in the way other drivers react to our lane changes. As drivers are approaching from the rear and I signal a lane change, they seem to see it and hold back a bit so we can change lanes. The sequential yellow turn signals are very eye catching and seem to have an imperative which people are noticing. The new tail lights are quite bright too. I started out with this replacement so other drivers would have no question about seeing our turn signals and I am very pleased with the results.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 06-27-2019, 10:19 AM   #33
Camper

That is good to hear.

I have decided to forego the Bargman series 84 led tail lights as they do not seem to offer a red/amber set. Only red/red and a triple unit with amber.

I may add the sequential strip in the future.

I ordered 2 red and 2 amber KT 6" oval led sets. I am going to install them so the red lights act as the tail lights and brake lights. The amber will be the turn signals only. In addition to the lights I ordered a 2 to 3 wire converter so the turn signals act independent of the brake lights. A new license plate holder with light was ordered as well.

I will add some pics after the install is complete.

Tail light converter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GKQZQG/

Red
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M250FNI

Amber
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUSINMQ/

License plate light
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07937BQYJ

Old 06-27-2019, 10:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
That is good to hear.

I have decided to forego the Bargman series 84 led tail lights as they do not seem to offer a red/amber set. Only red/red and a triple unit with amber.

I may add the sequential strip in the future.

I ordered 2 red and 2 amber KT 6" oval led sets. I am going to install them so the red lights act as the tail lights and brake lights. The amber will be the turn signals only. In addition to the lights I ordered a 2 to 3 wire converter so the turn signals act independent of the brake lights. A new license plate holder with light was ordered as well.

I will add some pics after the install is complete.

Tail light converter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GKQZQG/

Red
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M250FNI

Amber
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IUSINMQ/

License plate light
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07937BQYJ

Very cool. Please post pics when you are done. The LED's are so much better than the old incandescent bulbs. And I think the light strip has really caught the eye of other drivers.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 PM   #35
Camper

Progress as of today. I decided to go with 2 reds on each side. Only ordered 2 so 2 more were on their way here.

I could not find black screws locally so I went with stainless steel.

Old 06-30-2019, 02:32 PM   #36

[QUOTE=Macrosill;2129608]Progress as of today. I decided to go with 2 reds on each side. Only ordered 2 so 2 more were on their way here.

I could not find black screws locally so I went with stainless steel.

The lights look good. Will you use a logic device to separate the brake light signal from the turn signals? Do you have easy access to the wires from inside the trailer or did you work from the outside? My wires were easily accessible inside the trailer behind the couch.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old 06-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #37
Camper

Quote:
The lights look good. Will you use a logic device to separate the brake light signal from the turn signals? Do you have easy access to the wires from inside the trailer or did you work from the outside? My wires were easily accessible inside the trailer behind the couch.
Yes, a 2 wire to 3 wire converter to separate the turn signals from the brake lights.

Since I am using a converter I need to get the left and right brake light wires to a central location. On the inside of my back wall I have cabinets and drawers. The tail lights are directly behind the drawers. I used a hole saw and cut a 1.5" hole in the wall behind the drawers and pulled the wires inside. That is where all the wiring comes into the main panel so these tail light wires will feel at home. It is just empty space behind the drawers and the factory cut out huge panels back there for the wiring anyway.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM   #38
Camper

Mission accomplished.

I have yellow led turn signals and red tail/brake lights.

It was not easy but I got it done. LOL

The key was the Curt 2-3 wire convertor, model # 56196

I tried others but they did not work with LEDs.

I used the install as a teaching moment. I had my son learn how to strip and crimp wires as well as some troubleshooting. I will try to get a video tonight.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #39
Camper

Name:	IMG_3893.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	209616