Old 04-10-2019, 04:48 AM   #1

Installing LED Taillights

I am replacing the old incandescent tailights on our 2014 Rockwood 8282 Signature fifth wheel. People seem to try to pass us on a multi-lane highway even when we are clearly signalling a lane change and -- while some are just unsafe drivers in a hurry -- i worry that when the sun shines on the back of our trailer that it washes out the dull taillight signals.

I am adding bright LED tailights along with a center LED light bar, such as they use on pickup trucks. It has a taillight and brake light function across the whole light bar and flashes bright yellow LED's for turn signalling. Fortunately, I can access all the tailight wires inside the back of the RV by removing the couch across the back.

I am trying to figure out how best to remove the caulking material which covered the top and sides of the old taillight locations. The new LED taillights are slightly smaller so they won't cover these caulking lines. Is there a solvant or some other removal techniques which I can use to get rid of this caulking material without damaging the fiberglass finish? Appreciate any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-Taillight.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	201362  

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
I am replacing the old incandescent tailights on our 2014 Rockwood 8282 Signature fifth wheel. People seem to try to pass us on a multi-lane highway even when we are clearly signalling a lane change and -- while some are just unsafe drivers in a hurry -- i worry that when the sun shines on the back of our trailer that it washes out the dull taillight signals.

I am adding bright LED tailights along with a center LED light bar, such as they use on pickup trucks. It has a taillight and brake light function across the whole light bar and flashes bright yellow LED's for turn signalling. Fortunately, I can access all the tailight wires inside the back of the RV by removing the couch across the back.

I am trying to figure out how best to remove the caulking material which covered the top and sides of the old taillight locations. The new LED taillights are slightly smaller so they won't cover these caulking lines. Is there a solvant or some other removal techniques which I can use to get rid of this caulking material without damaging the fiberglass finish? Appreciate any ideas.
Plastic putty knife, WD 40, and some Goo Gone. Strong elbows. You can also just replace the blubs with LEDs from the auto parts store.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:18 AM   #3

On my recent trip I would come up behind trailers with factory lights and think “how outdated” they were in this world of bright vehicle taillights. Actually dangerous!
So, I tried led bulbs in my trailer . But because there is no reflective backing in the factory lights- I didn’t achieve the desired results.
I bought harbor freight led lights and I am happy with the lights. I still need to remove the caulking. My.future plan is to install additional led strip lights along the sides of my rear window
And, after reading another thread here, reflective strips on my bumper.
H20loo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:02 AM   #4

[QUOTE=!

So, I tried led bulbs in my trailer . But because there is no reflective backing in the factory lights- I didn’t achieve the desired results.

I put aluminum AC duct tape behind the bulbs in the taillight and the reflection off of the aluminum tape sure brightens Them up !

QUOTE]
Riverdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:10 AM   #5

[QUOTE=Riverdude;2068606][QUOTE=!

I put aluminum AC duct tape behind the bulbs in the taillight and the reflection off of the aluminum tape sure brightens Them up !
Old 04-11-2019, 12:15 AM   #6

I put aluminum AC duct tape behind the lite bulbs, and it sure brighten it up
Old 04-11-2019, 12:23 AM   #7

The OEM lights suck...even with LED bulbs.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #8

I found that a well rounded edge of a sawed off hockey stick worked the best. The edge of the stick needs to be sanded and smooth. I just used it as a scraper with gentle pressure to start. Silicon just rolls up and falls off.

Not subscribed so PM for more info.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post

I've had good luck with 3M Adhesive Remover. It's paint safe so should be ok for the fiberglass on the camper. Can get it at Auto Zone for sure but probably any parts store.
Dish Wally w/ Pathway X2
Brendon37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:19 AM   #10

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Riverdude, I have bright, new LED lights made for trailers. These have about 10-12 bright LED bulbs for the red lens. I am not just replacing the incandescent light bulb but the whole light fixture, hence the need to erase the outline of the caulking where the old, dim larger lights were.

I tried putting brighter LED bulbs in my truck tail lights, which has the reflectors inside, but the issue there was that the bulbs drew so little power that my heavy duty turn signal controller did not actuate properly and the signal flashed rapidly due to lack of load from a regular bulb. This happens also when the load diminishes from a burned out tail light.

I don't expect any flashing issues when I get the new trailer lights hooked up. I did have to add a license plate light as my new lights did not have one. I am really looking forward to seeing my new 5' long LED light strip across the whole back of the unit. It should be very bright. I will post a photo when complete. The new LED light strip has a five foot tail light function, five feet of bright brake lights, 2-1/2 feet of bright yellow turn signals, and even a bright white back up light. Not sure I plan to go through the effort to wire up the back-up light, as the trailer harness has no backup light wiring so I'd have to install about 35 feet of single strand wire to the new light strip.

Now I am wrestling with whether I should also remove the bumper mounted spare tire carrier so I can mount the light strip between the tail lights or whether it would be better just to mount the light strip higher on the back of the trailer above the spare tire carrier. This would let people see my tail lights from further back in trffic.

I will post a photo when it's all done.

Larry

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light