Old 04-21-2016, 11:25 PM   #11

I forgot to say....I want one that holds the water outlet temperature constant no matter what the water flow rate. The only two I could find that did that was the Suburban and Truma. The others all seemed to have the issue that if the water flow went up the temperature dropped. So for example if you have the hot water faucet on full flow and you want hotter water you have to turn the hot water flow down. This is counter intuitive to how hot water works in your home. It seemed this confused people. The Truma and Suburban units claim to keep the hot water temperature the same no matter what the flow rate.

Old 04-22-2016, 12:40 AM   #12

Our rig came with the Atwood on demand and we love it. And yes, if you want hotter water you turn the flow rate down. We usually use the flow control on the shower head (oxygenics) for this. Getting used to it is really a non-issue. Even our grandkids have no problem with it and the pressure is never an issue. Just be sure to get an oxygenics type shower head.

We spend about 3/4 of our time dry-camping and I can guarantee you it doesn't use any more water than a tank type. We take 'Navy' showers using the shower head to shut off flow when soaping up.

Given a choice, I will never have another standard water heater with a tank. We are too spoiled now with endless hot water

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 04:53 AM   #13

[QUOTE=bikendan;1136517]Just a note, this kind of WH is kinda of useless for dry campers and boondockers.[/QUOTE

I disagree. I have a demand in my 5th wheel and the water temp quickly warms up in minimal time.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:45 AM   #14
Some guy in back...

I am now concentrating on the Suburban IW60 as well. The PPL prices starts to inch up when you consider you need a new door and the vent pipe, but it still seems like a great way to go. We're going camping next week-end and I intend to make some measurements on time and temp with the "regular" 6 gallon Suburban we currently have.
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:19 AM   #15

I priced out the door and vent pipe too and total was about $700.

My family and I are using our camper right now and it takes about 20 min using propane for my 6 gallon tank to heat. We have managed shower times to make it work. It's a pain though and the short shower time is a pain. I can take shower and have hot water remaining but this is all about convenience for us.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:05 AM   #16
Some guy in back...

My inquires suggest the IW60 is a little hard to get right now and even PPL does not have the door or exhaust pipe.

So, I've decided to have the Girard Gen 2 heater installed. I should have it in time for our Memorial Day campout later this month. I'll let you know how it goes.
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
Old 05-06-2016, 10:50 AM   #17
USN Desert Storm Vet

Send a message via Skype™ to bfhammer
The Truma does seem impressive, the combi unit is intriguing with both water and air heating without the constant forced air noise. The combi units aren't available yet in the US.
I talked to a parts person at a bigger dealer and they say they have had zero complaints or even repairs on the Truma's so far. They are coming installed in the winnebago's.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:25 AM   #18

New here to the forums. Just recently bought a Georgetown GT3 30x3. I have ordered, and it should arrive tomorrow, a Suburban IW60 from PPl motorhomes. It has taken a little while to get and we are still trying to get the correct door. That said, customer service has been very responsive.

This water heater is manufactured in Dayton, TN. Not sure why it is considered Chinese.

I am replacing a Suburban 6gal WH. It should be a fairly easy swap. I expect to work on it this weekend and next. I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:30 AM   #19
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensidcamper View Post
New here to the forums. Just recently bought a Georgetown GT3 30x3. I have ordered, and it should arrive tomorrow, a Suburban IW60 from PPl motorhomes. It has taken a little while to get and we are still trying to get the correct door. That said, customer service has been very responsive.

This water heater is manufactured in Dayton, TN. Not sure why it is considered Chinese.

I am replacing a Suburban 6gal WH. It should be a fairly easy swap. I expect to work on it this weekend and next. I will let you all know how it goes.
Sounds like we'll be able to compare notes soon!

Would you mind saying why you are ditching the water heater the RV came with and why you chose what you chose?

Cheers!
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
Old 05-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensidcamper View Post

I am looking forward to your review of the IW60!

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater