Old 03-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

Instant Hot Water Heaters

So I really want to change out the 6 gallon hot water tank with a instant hot water heater for the reasons most people want to do this... unlimited hot water. I have 5 people in the family and if we all take showers in the TT it takes 1.5 hours for everyone to get ready. We need to speed this up since we take our RV to places that we are planning on leaving the campground to so see other things. So... here are the models I have looked at;

Atwood # 90205 50,000 BTU $ 899.00

Suburban # IW60 60,000 BTU $ 850.

Girard # GSWH-2 42,000 BTU $ 699.00

Truma AquaGo - 60,000 BTU $ 1200 approx.

These are not installed either.. but I can install it myself so I am not considering the installed price... well except for the Truma.... so far I can't find a way to buy it unless it is from an approved rep. and they require professional installation.

There is another thread here on a Girard so no comments from me here...

I would like to hear from anyone who has the Truma unit or the Suburban unit. The Suburaban unit looks to be a new offering and similar in the way it operates to the Truma.

Anyone have the Suburban Instant Water Heater yet?

Old 03-20-2016, 04:00 PM   #2
Moderators' Assistant

Just a note, this kind of WH is kinda of useless for dry campers and boondockers.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Yes..agreed...I hope most boondockers know this...I have so far only stayed at full hook up locations.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #4
Some guy in back...

I am looking for a better water heater solution for our 8329SS as well. The stock Suburban is terrible compared to the same size Atwood and so I was looking to install the Atwood. That unit is more rectangular, so some surgery is required to install it, making the job more expensive. Then I saw the Atwood XT series and I thought more is better, but it drops into a "standard" Atwood opening, not the Suburban opening.

For reference, the RV shop I went to (which charges $125/hr for labor) wanted around $1500 for the full install of the 6 gallon Atwood XT water heater, a somewhat breathtaking sum of money.

Now I am looking at other alternatives-the 10 gallon Suburban as well as some instant systems. Other Ideas & thoughts are welcome!
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #5

Not for sure this helps but I think I have decided to go with the Suburban # IW60 60,000 BTU continuous system. My local dealer quoted it at $ 850 and if they let me I will install it myself. It should fit right in the hole the 6 gallon Suburban tank comes out of.

The only thing holding me up in the money. Its expensive so our 1st camping trip this coming weekend is going to use the tank system I have now. I am hoping by June I am able to buy the continuous system.
Old 04-21-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Just a note, this kind of WH is kinda of useless for dry campers and boondockers.
Sorry, is it useless because of the electrical power requirements or what am I missing?
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
Old 04-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #7
Some guy in back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon72 View Post
Not for sure this helps but I think I have decided to go with the Suburban # IW60 60,000 BTU continuous system. My local dealer quoted it at $ 850 and if they let me I will install it myself. It should fit right in the hole the 6 gallon Suburban tank comes out of.

The only thing holding me up in the money. Its expensive so our 1st camping trip this coming weekend is going to use the tank system I have now. I am hoping by June I am able to buy the continuous system.
Thanks!...I just looked at it too and it does drop in to the same hole the 6 gallon Suburban came out of, so that is awesome. It seems the 10 gallon Suburban "regular" WH requires a larger hole, so it's out of the running for the moment.
BTW, I see that PPL is selling the IW60 for $625 plus $10 shipping, so that makes it a little less dear....and maybe a littler sooner to purchase! Good Luck, and if I go that way to, I'll let you all know.
'16 Rockwood 8329SS
Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 PM   #8

Thank you for the lead on the price...that is much better!

As for boondocking...I don't camp that way but what I have read is these continuous water heaters use more water and of course if you are boondocking you need to watch your usage. The continuous water heaters are all 100% propane so electricity is not a consideration.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:02 PM   #9
USN Desert Storm Vet

Send a message via Skype™ to bfhammer
I've been reading up on them. From what I've seen from different sites the Girard is crap, the suburban new but chinese, and the only on demand heater I've seen without complaints is the rv-550. The atwood has safety recalls issued dec 2015.
The lack of complaints and being the only one I've seen that is made in America are selling points for me. I figure if it lasts 10 years it only costs $30 a year to support an american company.

RV-550 – Tankless Water Heater for RVs and Trailers - PrecisionTemp
Old 04-21-2016, 10:19 PM   #10

Did you find anything about Truma? That is the one I really want but it's hard to find.

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater