Old 09-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #1
Interior Incandescent to LED Conversion

I would like to convert my interior incandescent dome lights to LED for a couple reasons 1) less battery draw while dry camping 2) safety - the bulbs are bit bit warm and I know my kids, they'ss touch one or two.

Has anyone here converted their to LED, if so, is there a bulb switch that can be done, or do I have to change the entire fixture. My domes currently take 2 #906 bulbs each as shown in this link

tonyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Although I haven't done it (yet) I have been looking at a bunch of LED stuff. Ther are pc boards I like the most with from 10 to 36 led's. The board has a pigtail and comes with an adapter that fits into the wedge base (type 904). There are also these :

They aren't cheep but I guess it is an upgrade equivelent to a higher mA-hr battery because it means more amps available for other loads when compared to battery drain from stock incandascent lamps. The nice ones with pigtails and adapters mostly come from China. So I am still looking for something like this American made:

What I don't get is why arent the manufacturers and venders "ALL OVER" getting this stuff into these campers?

turbopuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Team
If you are willing to change a fixture (an easy 4 screws and 2 wire
job) you can also consider "thin light" fluorescent fixtures.
They typically draw slightly less than one of the 906 bulbs and
give the light output equivalent to 2 bulbs.
They aren't cheap but not that much more than some of the LED
replacements. I bought the thin light 652 as seen here--
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #4
I've changed all the interor lights in my trailer to LED. Cost me a fair amount of money to do them all, so, if you want to save a little, take note of the lights you use the most and replace them first. I got mine from these folks... . Good service, helpful too. Best part is, you order the cool white version, it is tough to tell that they are not incandecent, and surprisingly bright.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, Entertainment: 3 Boys (24,22,20) and now girlfriends too, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross). Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
I did a ton of research on this today (when I should have been working) and found a 5 LED bulb that is a straight cross to my #906 bulbs, not a bad price either

I ordered a bunch, I will let you know how they work. They are supposed to draw less then 1/2 the output of my standard #906 bulb with more output, we'll see.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:28 AM   #6
The 906 LED bulbs I ordered arrived today. They are a perfect replacement to my 906 bulbs, but about 2/3 as bright. I replaced 8 out of my 10 light fixtures. Decided to leave 2 of them as the brighter 906's in dim areas of the trailer. The up side is it won't draw near as much power. We'll take the trailer out in a week or so and see if my wife likes the change enough to replace the other 2 fixtures.
Tony Z
Old 10-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Has a complete list of LED conversion bulbs. No, I do not work for them LOL

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #8
We use LEDs in our camper, got them from eBay. Just do a search there for "LED 36 SMD 1210" and they will come up. $9.79 each with free shipping. We are very pleased with ours.

sonicsix is offline   Reply With Quote