Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 09:02 AM   #101

Installed the ebay fan on my unit and it's like night and day. frig cools down in just a few hours, stays cooler and more consistant. Never had a icing issue so can't address that one. Best investment I made since my marriage certificate.
peskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:20 AM   #102
JAL

Just found this forum and registered. Looks like great info/place to learn and also share similar experiences/solutions.

Looking for solution to frosty fins, and this product looks like it's what I need! Does anyone know if this works with my '05 Norcold N81X series fridge or anything different I need to do with wiring?
Link to manuel is here:
http://gasrefrigeration.net/nor_tech...ies_061802.pdf

Here's my story/symptoms:
On our last trip/Myrtle Beach last weekend -- cranked up fridge 2 days before on propane (sits in storage lot so only option.) Cools find to mid 30's in fridge, very cold in freezer (didn't check temp, but stuff stays frozen and I can make 2 rounds of ice cubes daily.)

Day 1, works well. By day 2, fridge gets into low 40's (lowest reading - first read of morning), and then by day 3 it's mid to upper 40's. Had so much frost built up on the fins on day 3, I took a hairdryer to it (yea, I know, I'm not supposed to do that.) So much frost melt, the little trough filled up and water began splashing out. Cooled back down to mid 40's by the time we got home.

We are careful to only put precooled stuff in fridge when packing, and we even "help" fridge by putting frozen bacon and London Broil in fridge to defrost. We do replace soft drinks, but try and do that a couple of times a day and not load fridge with a bunch of room temp stuff. We also space out warm items when putting them in fridge.

We also use one of those blue box 2 "D" Cell fans inside fridge.

Thanks!
JAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:06 PM   #103

Post hope this will help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAL View Post
Just found this forum and registered. Looks like great info/place to learn and also share similar experiences/solutions.

Looking for solution to frosty fins, and this product looks like it's what I need! Does anyone know if this works with my '05 Norcold N81X series fridge or anything different I need to do with wiring?
Link to manuel is here:
http://gasrefrigeration.net/nor_tech...ies_061802.pdf

Here's my story/symptoms:
On our last trip/Myrtle Beach last weekend -- cranked up fridge 2 days before on propane (sits in storage lot so only option.) Cools find to mid 30's in fridge, very cold in freezer (didn't check temp, but stuff stays frozen and I can make 2 rounds of ice cubes daily.)

Day 1, works well. By day 2, fridge gets into low 40's (lowest reading - first read of morning), and then by day 3 it's mid to upper 40's. Had so much frost built up on the fins on day 3, I took a hairdryer to it (yea, I know, I'm not supposed to do that.) So much frost melt, the little trough filled up and water began splashing out. Cooled back down to mid 40's by the time we got home.

We are careful to only put precooled stuff in fridge when packing, and we even "help" fridge by putting frozen bacon and London Broil in fridge to defrost. We do replace soft drinks, but try and do that a couple of times a day and not load fridge with a bunch of room temp stuff. We also space out warm items when putting them in fridge.

We also use one of those blue box 2 "D" Cell fans inside fridge.

Thanks!
Frost build up in 3~4 days is door seals leaking. Take a dollar bill shut the door on the dollar bill and then try to pull the dollar bill out. If it comes out with ease your door seals need to be replaced. Also back ten years ago the big thing was pull the refrigerator out of the camper, turn it on its top and let set for 3 days. This is called BURPING the cooling system. My friend took one to the shop and the tech told him this what he would do 1st. He could do it and save himself $95.00. Try this fan and read his Ebay ad about understanding rv refrigerator's and see if this helps. It should keep moister off the fin so it don't ice up, you may need two to cover the whole fin ( they are only 5 or 6 inches long). If it don't he has a money back guarantee . The 2 d fan is low, very low air output. I put my 2d fan in the freezer compartment, don't know if it helps though???
Try this link:DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT | eBay
He has sold a lot of these and I'm very happy as his feedback shows a lot of us use these and like them.
Hope you get it working correctly
I got food poison while camping due to fish spoiling, it was not cold enough and I will just tell you it sucks to be throwing up all while camping. So $15.00 for a fan is worth it to ensure good cold meats and fish.
toobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:42 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebb View Post
I purchased the fan and installed it and moved it all over the top of ref and still get frost build up and ref temp some times got hotter by a degree or to and then raised setting to a 5 and same results. I normally set ref to a 4 and keeps fer at say 35 or 36 degrees. The fan is now disconnected. I full time and ref only get defrosted say 2 times a year buy using a hair dryer to get ice off of fins. I had a ref tech tell me if fins ice over solid then it could make ref have a false sense of temp and never cycle on and off. Some day i may test again some day. Just not much $ to do a test. Sorry to be negative on this issue.
Your refrigerator is screwed up if using a fan makes it hotter. Are you hooked to CONSTANT 12 volts at the light. Have you listen at the refrigerator door to make sure the fan is still running when the door is shut??
The tech is so right, think about it if the fins have ice on them, the refrigerator's thermistor( tells refer to cut on / off) is clipped on the fin usually on the right hand side, ice will make the thermistor to think refrigerator is cold. That is why its important to keep ice off the fins at ALL TIMES.
Try the fan on left hand side see if it helps.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #105

Got mine installed. I tapped into the hot wire at the light switch to make sure it had a constant power source.

MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #106

any US guys willing to buy 2 for me and ship up to Canada??
ohcnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM   #107

Email seller ask him what he would ship to Canada. I've bought stuff from www,ebay.ca before.
Here is a link to follow for ebay .com DOMETIC NORCOLD REFRIGERATOR FAN FOR RV 12 VOLT | eBay
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #108

I heard he had some problems with long delivery delays because of Canada Customs and he was getting bad reviews - which is a NO NO on eBay so he stopped shipping to Canada.

Contact him and explain you will give a positive review and wait it out.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:00 PM   #109

Just ordered one myself. Should come in before our next outing and will report back my opinion of how it does for us.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #110

Another +1 for the E-Bay fan kit in the first post.

Fridge cools down about 50% faster. Never had an icing issue but just having the faster initial cool down made the purchase worthwhile to me.
45 ACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:32 AM   #111

My fan arrived in the mail yesterday! Now, just another week before I can get back to my camper and get is plugged in!!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #112

Hi guys,

I just bought my TT (Wildwood 26BH) which comes with a Dometic 2551. This model fridge doesn't have a light on it. I did notice that it has the drain hose which empties out in back of the fridge and there is a 12V terminal block.

Now onto my question: I am interested in installing this fan mod for the fridge but want to see if anyone has successfully done so on a fridge that doesn't have a light (or better yet on the Dometic 2551 fridge).

Thanks in advance!
Broker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #113

well, after having my fan for a couple months, one of the fans is about dead. it has a very bad vibration when running, and thus only spins at about 1/3 its normal speed. if i turn it off, tap on it, then turn it back on until the vib goes away it works fine. but after about 20-30 min of running i can hear a humming coming from the fridge. i open the door and guess what.....fan is vibing big time and barely spinning.

the screws that hold the fans onto the blue aluminum plate are also all rusty.

im not having as good of impressions as alot of folks are here....

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 AM   #114

Just need a better quality fan.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #115

We bought ebay fan can't figure out how to wire it in. Have a Norcold
N61X/N81X in 2011 Flaggstaff 831FKBSS need help.

Thanks

2011 Flaffstaff 831FKBSS
2011 Ford 250 6.2/373
Tincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:57 PM   #116
RV Newbie

Need to attach the wire to the hot side of the lite or a hot wire. The clamp is the neutral.
1963 Ford 861 5 speed with loader
1958 Ford 800 Select-O-Speed (parts tractor)
buzzards27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
well, after having my fan for a couple months, one of the fans is about dead. it has a very bad vibration when running, and thus only spins at about 1/3 its normal speed. if i turn it off, tap on it, then turn it back on until the vib goes away it works fine. but after about 20-30 min of running i can hear a humming coming from the fridge. i open the door and guess what.....fan is vibing big time and barely spinning.

the screws that hold the fans onto the blue aluminum plate are also all rusty.

im not having as good of impressions as alot of folks are here....
Bocephus, sounds like you have a moister problem if screws are rusting, check your door seals with a dollar bill. If you close the door on a dollar bill and are able to pull the bill out, this is why you have heavy moister inside your refrigerator. Remember cold air is dry air, look at the water running off top of camper when ac is on, the ac is pulling the moister out of the air as its cooling the air. This will also penetrate the fan motors and ruin them. Contact the ebay seller if this is one of his fans. Mine is running strong and its 3 years old, no rust on it either. You can get a lemon on any thing you buy, but this does not make this fan a bad item to have. I love how mine makes my refrigerator stay cold even with hot outside temps. Contact the seller, let us know what he says.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:53 AM   #118

Ok so this past camping trip was my first time using my fridge fan and honestly I didn't really notice any difference in cooling time. Maybe I didn't do it right but it still seemed to take almost 9hrs for fridge to really cool down to where I felt comfortable storing MILK.

It was 100 degrees outside though, but so was the last time i went out pre-fan.

Ruben Zamora
2007 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Dmax/Allison, 4" Exhaust-no cat-no muffler
2012 Palomino Puma 23FB
RubenZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:35 PM   #119

My fan just arrived in the mail today. I'll give my impressions on it after I get it installed.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenZ View Post
Ok so this past camping trip was my first time using my fridge fan and honestly I didn't really notice any difference in cooling time. Maybe I didn't do it right but it still seemed to take almost 9hrs for fridge to really cool down to where I felt comfortable storing MILK.

It was 100 degrees outside though, but so was the last time i went out pre-fan.
i have a thermometer in mine. the temp does not change, but the fan does keep condensation/ice off of the fins in the back.... other than that, i dont see much difference

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan