Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #1

Inverter Install

I'm installing an inverter in our fifth wheel. It is a "stand alone" system where I have installed three dedicated outlets strategically placed throughout the coach. My question is where to install the inverter itself. The manufacturer recommends not installing in the battery compartment or any area where flammable gases are present but they also say to install as close to the batteries as possible. Where are most of you installing your inverters in your fifth wheels? Battery compartment, or storage compartment closest to batteries? Thanks
tahoe1840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:47 AM   #2

Hi

Mine is mounted in the cross compartment side wall adjacent to the battery compartment. (2014 Silverback 33 RL). Total wire length to the batteries of less than two and a half feet.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoe1840 View Post
I'm installing an inverter in our fifth wheel. It is a "stand alone" system where I have installed three dedicated outlets strategically placed throughout the coach. My question is where to install the inverter itself. The manufacturer recommends not installing in the battery compartment or any area where flammable gases are present but they also say to install as close to the batteries as possible. Where are most of you installing your inverters in your fifth wheels? Battery compartment, or storage compartment closest to batteries? Thanks

Just FYI:

The recommendation to install close to the batteries is ONLY because of conductor (wire) sizing. If installing close to the batteries is problematic, don't fret... as long as you size the conductors properly, you can install the inverter wherever you want. A voltage drop calculator can be used to determine proper conductor size for a given voltage and current.

I would want to install it where heat would be kept to a minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter