Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Inverter installation questions

I currently use a small 300w inverter plugged into the 12 connection by the television to power the television after generator hours. It works fine but is pretty noisy and requires the tv volume to be cranked up in order to be heard. It is also difficult for the younger kids (9-10) to figure out they need to unplug the tv to plug it into the inverter....

I have been reading a good bit on inverter installations. Most recommend getting a 1000w inverter to ensure enough capacity for things such as toasters or coffee makers. I'm not opposed to this even though I don't foresee using it for these purposes. Just not sure if I install 1000w inverter, would it drain the battery faster even if only used for the TV?

I've come down to three basic options.
1) Do nothing. Teach the kids how to set up the plug-in inverter and deal with turning the tv up.
2) Install a permanent inverter with remote power switch and have dedicated outlets that would be powered. This would still required the kids to unplug the tv and move it to the inverter powered plug.
3) Install a larger inverter with auto transfer switch etc...

I guess my questions boil down to is there a way to wire an inverter to the tv outlet without the expense of an auto transfer switch installation?

Obviously I wouldn't want to back feed the inverter, or create a loop where the battery is trying to charge its self..etc.

Open to suggestions. thanks
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 AM   #2
CLT
Next Gen Camperbot 5000XL

I would start shopping somewhere that has a nice return policy (no electronics restocking fee) and seeing what works best for you noise-wise. All small inverters are not created equal. If you find one that works better than your current setup, keep it...if not return till you find one. I have a small Coleman inverter and it is not noisy at all. It can do 12v or direct wire to battery.
Old 05-31-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

Just thought of another question. If I were to install one of these all in one units, would it interfere/conflict with the WFCO converter?

RV & Camping Power Inverters/Chargers | Tripp Lite
Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

I installed an 800w modified sine inverter for when I am away from the shore power or generator to run TV, Dish, chargers, and other 110v items. It is directly wired in to the AC outlet circuit using a manual transfer switch (toggle) on the HOT side. This allows me to simply turn on the inverter and flip the switch (switching the outlets from getting power from the shore hookup to the inverter). Anything on the 110v outlets in the trailer are all switched to inverter power without interruption. Now I did have to rewire a few things to get them off of the 110v outlet circuit (both fridges). The fridges were put on to another breaker i bought and installed in the converter. I also had to run another power wire to the inverter and the switch located near the battery and also run inline with the GFCI outlet to be the first in line of all of the outlets. Again this for advanced skills on wiring and circuitry (do not try this at home, unless you know what you are doing). This is in our 2014 21DK.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelam View Post
Just thought of another question. If I were to install one of these all in one units, would it interfere/conflict with the WFCO converter?

RV & Camping Power Inverters/Chargers | Tripp Lite
Yes - this would serve as a replacement for your existing converter which you would disconnect. And it would give you an inverter and automatic transfer switch.

Another option would be an inverter with a built in transfer switch. The Xantrex XM1000 or 1800(pure sine) or PROsine 1000 or 1800 (modified sine wave) would be good options. Requires some wiring work, but you run your 110V outlet circuit through the inverter and back to the breaker panel. A little more work to install, but once you have it setup, your outlets are always powered - when AC shorepower is unhooked, they automatically switch to the inverter. No need to do anything. And both of those have remote panels & and an on/off switch to turn them off when you store the camper.

Power Inverters Comparison Chart

2022 Columbus 379MBC (Previous 2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS)
2023 F-350 (Previous 2017 F250, 2005 F-150)
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

So I did this last year..
I bought a 600W inverter (Walmart $60-$70) that plugs into a cigarette plug which I happen to have next to my 27in TV. The inverter has 2 110w outlets on it, and another extention cord output to another 110w outlet.
I snipped off the extention cord end, and hardwired it to the 110ac outlet for the TV.
The end result is that my TV and anything else I plug into that outlet now runs only off the inverter and trailer battery bank.
Plus side was that I also have 2 AC outlets on the inverter itself to plug the Apple TV into and run it also.
No harm to the trailer inverter and very little draw on the battery bank.

I mounted the inverter underneath the cupboard under the TV and all the wires are behind a panel so it's invisible unless you go looking.

I will say though that we get a hummmmm through the TV sound because of the inverter, but not bad enough to be a big deal.
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 12:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
So I did this last year..
I will say though that we get a hummmmm through the TV sound because of the inverter, but not bad enough to be a big deal.
Yes I forgot to mention that my modified sine wave does cause a hum through the electronics' speakers as well. Its a very quiet buzz, so if you are trying to sleep with the tv off and the inverter on ...for whatever reason.... you would hear it. With all the outside noise, inside noise and tv volume up you shouldn't notice it. Otherwise get the more expensive pure sine wave inverter.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:57 PM   #8

Unless you want the inverter for something else another option would be to replace your TV with a 12 volt TV. I went that route with one of Best Buy's store brand, Insignia. Inexpensive ($150-$200) and works great. Do a google search and you will find quite few out there to choose from.
Area 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #9
svo

I installed an 800 watt continuous duty inverter, permanently installed, and ran a seperate line to the entertainment center. I installed the orange outlets you can get at Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc, to identify the fact that they are powered by the inverter. I also have a CPAP Machine, so one was also installed in the bedroom.
svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:49 PM   #10

I am running a 400w cobra inverter for my led TV and blue ray. The combo uses 40w max. Only noise is the inverter fan kicking on and off about every 15 seconds but is drowned out by TV volume. Thinking of adding a 20w sound bar to drown out the portable ice maker I picked up for my last trip- really noisy.

2014 Stealth Evo 2850 "Woodstock"
2011 Toyota Tundra Rock Crawler TRD 5.7 "Clifford"

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo View Post
I installed an 800 watt continuous duty inverter, permanently installed, ... I also have a CPAP Machine, so one was also installed in the bedroom.
Considering that CPAP machines use a power brick to convert AC to DC, would it not be more efficient to simply run it off 12V?

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter