Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 01:18 PM   #21

Question about refrigerator thermostat and these fans. It is my understanding that the thermostat sliding adjustment lever works by placing the pickup sensor bulb higher or lower. This height difference places the bulb in warmer air if slid upwards or slightly lower temperatures if slid down. This relies on the sitting air in the fridge being warmer up higher and cooler as you go down. So if you install a circulating fan it has to even out the thermo layers in the fridge therefore making the bulb position ineffective. It appears to work for everyone, just wonder if you still have temperature control or doesn't it matter since with the fan running the fridge temps are what they should be anyway. Feedback?

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #22

What's a macgyver
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman2 View Post
What's a macgyver
Making do with little or nothing more than what you have on hand.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:38 PM   #24

Cool
mudman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:39 PM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Question about refrigerator thermostat and these fans. It is my understanding that the thermostat sliding adjustment lever works by placing the pickup sensor bulb higher or lower. This height difference places the bulb in warmer air if slid upwards or slightly lower temperatures if slid down. This relies on the sitting air in the fridge being warmer up higher and cooler as you go down. So if you install a circulating fan it has to even out the thermo layers in the fridge therefore making the bulb position ineffective. It appears to work for everyone, just wonder if you still have temperature control or doesn't it matter since with the fan running the fridge temps are what they should be anyway. Feedback?
The sensor works by conduction with the fin, not convection of the air.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:09 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by asparky View Post
Yes they are computer cooling fans, I bought one for my computer case from staples for $7 or $8. But these have a nice case they are mounted in with a switch that can easily be attached to cooling fins. When I factor in gas and local tax, it isn't worth my time and energy trying to save a couple $$. Factor the cost over 7 years even makes it less appealing. I've been a MacGyver my whole life and have found there are some things not worth the time to MacGyver. If a person can afford an expensive RV, they should be able to afford $23.06 for a nice dual cooling fan. That's barely 50 miles of traveling at the price of fuel LOL.
Beside the guy I bought from carries a complete line of repair parts for RV refrigerators etc, many at substantial savings. He has got to make a buck too!
Thanks though for letting all the MacGyver's out there know that alternatives are available.
RON
Just to be clear, what you purchased from Staples was most likely a CASE fan (probably square, black and an inch or more thick). Those things all over eBay are literally HARD DRIVE coolers/fan assemblies. Some with a switch added to them (mcguyvered for you), others just as you would get them to install on a hard drive. Those little notches on the side are there where the screws go to install on a hard drive. I put a couple links to them in my original post.

Just my two cents.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:19 PM   #27
Carknocker Family

When I installed mine last year, I kept blowing fuse on circuit board.. Had it wired to the inside fridge light. Had to hard wire to a 12 volt source behind fridge. Just a little info, your results maybe different.
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:10 PM   #28

Makato.. I stand corrected, I thought they WERE case fans... The condenser fans probably are, and I probably could have saved more... But, I would have had to MacGyver and my wife is tired of me doing so LOL.
Ron
asparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 09:11 PM   #29

Mudman 2... LOL I thought everyone knew what MacGyvering was...
Its owning a RV!!! LOL...

Ron
Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #30

My next MacGyver is trying to come up with something to fill my airbags without a lot of trouble.. Quick, easy, cheap. LOL without having to get one of the automatic systems that the parts fail 3 days after the warranty is over...
Old 05-15-2015, 02:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Old Blue lasted (7) years running (Early spring-Late fall) No frost and Refer Temp spot on! Replaced with Silver one,two Diff Companys,we will see which one is better! Youroo!!
Here it is! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #32

Quick question...I have mine wired to a hot lead on back of dometic not the interior light. The clips are used to ground it so black wire is not hooked up. I went into the fridge today and accidentally bumped the fan in to the cooling fins. It then blows one of my 12v fuses. This has happened twice. What gives if the clips are the ground why would it short? Replace fuses and it works fine.
sugarjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #33

So as I understand the cooling fins are your ground using the clips that clip the fan onto the fins. Was the fan running at the time? Did it slow down or stop when it was bumped into the cooling fins?
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 AM   #34

Correct the clips ground it. The fan was running and I put something in the fridge which pushed the fan closer to the fins. Spark and it blew a 15w fuse on main panel.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #35

There has to be an exposed positive wire on the back of the fan. If you look carefully you should see a dark spot on the fins where it sparked from. Or look at the fan. Put some electrical tape over it or use some liquid electrical tape and seal that place on the fan where positive is exposed.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:53 AM   #36

10-4 I'll look for that.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #37

If you can't get a 12 v source inside run the wire out the drain hose and you can tap into the red 12 v and ground in rear. Used a solid dog run wire to thread it dowb with.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:33 PM   #38
Dazed & Confused

I bought the fan set-up with the switch and since I found the alligator clip mounting a wee bit cheesy, I mounted mine by drilling a couple holes and used electrical ties to attach it to the rack. I also replace the alligator clip with a black wire, then fished both wires out the drain hose hole and attached the wires to the 12 VDC terminal strip. Work well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0605151149.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	79366  
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 PM   #39

No wiring alternative

This fan has three power options and will allow you to circulate from the bottom up as some of the “experts” recommend, which makes sense if your stuff is freezing at the bottom and too warm at the top. Either way an inexpensive way to evaluate with two no wiring options (batteries or USB to a power bank/jolt charger) and includes the adapter to run wire later.

Shop O2COOL 5-in 2-Speed Desk Fan at Lowes.com__
$10.98

Really good article and suggestions:

http://www.fmca.com/polks-top-7/2633...fficiency.html
lgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 AM   #40

Wouldnt thesenonlynwork when doors are open since being hooked up to the light????
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote