Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Just got DirectTV for the house

So I was thinking I might as well put it in my 5th Wheel. I have the trailer on a seasonal spot so portability is not an issue. Am I right to think all I need to do is pick up a dish and receiver from craigslist and install them in the trailer. If i understand it I would need a reciever for each tv? I have 3 tv's is it possilbe to just change the channel on the reciever and be able to watch on another tv? Or would I need 3 rec. for 3 tv's?
cjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

We have dish network so one tuner does 2 tvs.
I use reciever from my shop.
I got a used dish from a direct tv installer and mounted it to a work light stand.

Not sure of the ins and outs of direct tv.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #3

I haven't had DirecTV for about a year now, but as far as I know, you will need a receiver and dish, and an access card from DirecTV, which they charge you extra for. (somewhere around $8 a month)

You can use one receiver to feed 3 or more TV's, but you will have to watch the same thing on all TV's at the same time. You can't watch ESPN on one TV and the Cooking channel on another unless you have more then one receiver.

Personally, I always just took one receiver (with access card) from the house when I went camping. Didn't need it at the house anyway. Had a dish bolted to a concrete block. Worked great.

So you could take 3 receivers from your house with you when you go camping...
1 DW, 1 DD, 3xDS's
RedLance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #4

i dont know if direct is same as dish as far a equipment goes, but i have a single dual tuner box in my trailer....so you can watch one channel in the living area in hi def, and any other ONE channel on the three other tvs...

I do however ALSO use the sling capability from dish, so i can also plug my phone or pad into any tv (assuming i have cell service or wifi) via hdmi and watch any dvr'd program or live program from my house.

this comes in handy if you just want to watch a movie or catch the local news and you dont want the hassle of setting up the dish and aiming..as i dont have a seasonal space.

I will note that with dish, you HAVE to be able to get all three sat signals at the same time in order to use the dual tuner function...not sure if is the same with direct. some of the rv specific units that "find" the signals automatically can only do so on ONE signal at a time...so if you have a dual tuner or even multi box setup and one program is on feed 110 and one is on 119 those types of dishes will not work.
2012 lacrosse 318bhs touring- sold
ironj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Just an FYI, DirecTV does not do mobile HD since the KA band is so tight. Dish Network does HD however. I had both.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:46 PM   #6

When you say mobile HD what do you mean? Are you talking about one of those portable dish's? I was thinking of just using one of my recievers for the summer. If you have to watch the same channel that would be ok.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:11 AM   #7

Just thoght I would give an update. I set up the DirectTV at my trailer the other day and I get all the same HD channels that I get in my home. I have it set up on one TV but would like to get it on another. Not sure if I need a different box or if its even possible.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
Commercial Member

mobile as in "in motion" Stationary might be fine.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjones View Post
Just thoght I would give an update. I set up the DirectTV at my trailer the other day and I get all the same HD channels that I get in my home. I have it set up on one TV but would like to get it on another. Not sure if I need a different box or if its even possible.
again, im not sure exactly on a directv box, but if you have it working on one tv you should be able to split the output to another tv fairly easily...or if the boxes are like dish boxes, just use the hdmi out for your main tv, then run a coax from the coax out to the other.....

now if your talking about watching 2 or more tv AND getting different programming on each tv individually, then you either need a dual tuner box or an additional box for each tv....

i will add however, that if your trailer is wired like mine, you will only have ONE sat output in the main living area from the input on the outside of the trailer......which could make running 2 or more boxes difficult....

hence why i chose to use a dual tuner box....
Old 08-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #10

I think the box's I have from DTV have only one coax were it comes in from the box to the wall. Then there is only one hdmi and that is used for the TV
Old 08-02-2012, 04:29 PM   #11

Oh...see my dish boxes support hdmi, component, AND coax all simultaneously......i used one configured like that for years in my house....ran the kitchen, patio, and garage tv.....all on same program obviously, but we generally only run all the tvs while entertaining and generally that involves a game, fight, or other event we are all watching anyway....

Honestly i would be surprised if your box didnt support coax and component as well...?
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

We got a package from Direct TV that i saw in Trailer Life Magazine. It included..4 recievers for the house 1 dish for the house ..and.. 1 dish ,tripod and 50ft of coax for the 5th wheel.....1 reciever is "standard" .that ones in a spare room thats not used much.. and will be the one used in the 5th wheel...hey...if somone wants Direct TV.... let me know before you sign up.. and we both save $100 ....
Old 08-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #13

Yeah the box does have 1 coax 1 component 1 digital audio 1 s-video 1 hdmi and 1 usb. I wanted to use the wiring that is in the trailer.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM   #14

If you only want sd you can do what you are talking about, the newer HD receivers don't have coax out.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #15

Is it dual tuner?....if not you can readily use hdmi for one tv and cable in trailer for sd ....all tv on same channel...
Old 08-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #16

So your saying run the coax out of the box to the coax cable plug on the trailer? If this is what you mean this wont work with my box there is no coax out.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I think the new direct tv tuner is wireless via dish transponder.
Correct?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Commercial Member

The newest Dish box I got no longer had coax out either. It was all HDMI, Component or composite. I don't even think there was an S-Video anymore.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #19

If you can run HDMI cables throughout your TT you can use a HDMI switchbox.
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
If you can run HDMI cables throughout your TT you can use a HDMI switchbox.

Yeah but running the cables to each end would not be easy. Then I would only be able to use one tv at a time.