Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #1

Kayak underneath Rockwood 5ver

We went on our inaugural run in our Rockwood 8281WS in S. Louisiana, there was a Open Range 5ver with a kayak strapped underneath between the landing gear and the axle. He also had a portable waste tank strapped underneath also.

Has anyone seen this setup before? I really wish I would have checked it out a little closer.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #2

We had our spare tire mounted under the basement storage area between front jacks - bolted to frame

We also had our blue tank strapped under the hitch area as well on our Dutchmen

The new ones are all closed in and buttoned up so we cannot do that on our Crusader so we sold blue tank with Old Dutch and throw spare in truck - only tow to seasonal spot for year and home.....
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Team

are you sure it wasn't the Open Range 346FLR, which has a huge basement storage area big enough for a kayak?

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #4

Bikendan, the kayak appeared to be secured with rachet straps between the frame rails and just behind the front jacks. I should have taken a pic.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:41 PM   #5

Im also looking for a way to bring my kayak with me but its 14 feet so I was thinking of a t bar off the front of the ram bumper and put it on top of the truck in front of the 5th wheel has anyone seen that set up Don
Don Reesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Reesor View Post
Im also looking for a way to bring my kayak with me but its 14 feet so I was thinking of a t bar off the front of the ram bumper and put it on top of the truck in front of the 5th wheel has anyone seen that set up Don
I saw something similar the other day but the rack was as wide as the truck and he had 2 kayaks in front of the 5ver.
Nights Camped 2014-35
bbritt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 PM   #7

I have seen those before. That might be the route to go. Fab a hitch on the front end.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Reesor View Post
I carry my 18' canoe that way. I was going going to post a photo, until I realized that I have never taken one.

I have a crew cab truck with the long bed. The single roof rack is near the rear end of the cab. With even overhang in the front and rear, the canoe just barely clears the 5er. You should have no trouble with a 14' kayak.

So far, the only problem that I have experienced, is that no matter how I tie it down, there is still a considerable movement in strong, gusty winds.

Joel
Great Horned Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:51 PM   #9

Over the cab 5th wheel rack. We plan on carrying our 10' kayaks with it.

Fifth Wheel Truck Rack: overcab rack for use with 5th Wheel trailers
GypsiesAtHeart2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #10

I saw the exact same back in October at a state park in south Louisiana. Was it the same guy; I can't say for certain because I don't remember the 5th wheel brand but I did talk to the owner. He was from TN (I think) and came south to kayak the bayous of south LA. He had a large basement up front but the kayak was a few inches too long. He was working the kayak inside the 5ver but he so happened to purchase a pair of cypress rockers that would now occupy that space.
I was more curious as to how he was going to secure it and maintain clearance between between everything (RV to the ground, kayak to the RV axles). He ended up strapping to forward of the axles and used ratchet straps.
I inquired as to any thought on some kind of system on the roof and he said he thought of that but that he felt better that if he lost the kayak it would be better to drop from under rather than flying off from the roof. He said in the future he was going to consider a roof rack secured to the roof rails - the part where the roof meets the side-wall or look at having uni-strut running between the beams of the underside frame; pulling the kayak snug up to the uni-strut versus just to the underside plastic sheeting.

He wasn't too excited about the kayak setup outside but he felt it was his best option.
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #11

He was at Fountainebleau State Park. Well bgilly, thanks for the insight on his setup. I am going to look at hanging my kayak underneath. I don't want to do anything to void a warranty. I was thinking replacing the screws that hold the plastic sheeting underneath with eyebolts, anchoring them to the frame. As you said, I will need some type uni-strut.
My last camper had a roof that went bad.. I don't want to do anything up there. I am somewhat disappointed in the bumper of the Rockwood because it is so lightweight and you get into warranty issues there.
Thanks for the insight.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #12

Must have been same guy. I saw him at Fairview Riverside SP. He had a bag of eyebolts but he ended up hooking the straps to the "I" of the chassis.
I was curious how his return trip went.
Good luck with your set-up.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood