Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2014, 10:02 AM   #1

keeping front door open

Our 2306 has the thing that keeps the front door open on the bottom but the pressure that kept the door open no longer works. We don't wanttobe drilling etc and right now are on the road so need a temp fix. Tried the 3m hooks connected with lightweight chain but the chainkeepssliding off the hooks. Guessing we can resort to bungees but was wondering if someone has figured out another method such as suction cups or other stick on things. Any suggestions appreciated

Our "Fur Kid" Roxie the smiling doxie is so amazing !
gobblertales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #2

I assume you want the big door open while the screen door is closed. I just looked at my 2306 and think the key to a temp fix is using the front storage compartment door as a way to hold the string or small rope that you then attach to the door. Find a string or small rope that will close in that storage compartment door tight but will not hurt the door. Put some knots in the string where it closes in the door for better grip. On the end that attaches to the door put a big loop and slip it over the big door handle that you pull the door closed with. If you want to get real fancy, incorporate a bunch of rubber bands or a short bungee for a little spring action that will help hold the door tight.

I would try to order a replacement and have it shipped to where you are camping next unless it is not too long and you can have it shipped to your house. Do you need the numbers off of the Gas Spring unit?
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #3

thanks

Thanks and yes it wouldbe great if you have that number. My computer is messing up so you might get this message more than once

Our "Fur Kid" Roxie the smiling doxie is so amazing !
gobblertales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Here is what it says on my unit and I would think yours would be the same. Company that makes this is Industrial Gas Springs. Phone, 800 214-7034.
Part number GS:89Z100211BB0067. Force 15lbs. 52/12. This is most likely a special order for Forest River since I don't see it on the Industrial Springs website. I would first see if your dealer, or any dealer, can get this for you but if not try direct. Can't predict what would be better. Good luck.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #5

You might take the rod loose, and see if an auto parts store has one. The metal spring clip can be pried out enough, to let it slip off the ball head on the mounts. Use a small screwdriver, to lever the clip out a bit, and roll the end of the strut off of the ball mount. The replacement just pops back on over the ball mount.
They're actually a pretty common item, used on cars for trunk and hood supports. Just get the right length, and weight rating.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door