Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #1

Keeping Our Cool At 100!

Last weekend we enjoyed an early fireworks display at the lake and temps were at 100(alittle above & below). Our site was in full sun and no trees around. This is the 1st year we could stand to be in our TT through the heat of the day with the A/C actually keeping us cool!(13.5K A/C) I went to Lowes and purchased the heat blocking film(Gila) they sell and applied it to my slide out windows and front windshield. Made a big difference and when it finally gets cooler will apply the film to our bedroom windows(now have insulated shade material). I was skeptical and didn't know if it would do any good or not, but now I know. Believe me applying it was tricky with curved seals around the windows and its not perfect, but I can always go back and remove/reinstall it at another time. I looked at the black film, but I chose the reflective film. I've decided to install film on my home windows, that's how impressed I am. Hope this helps other campers trying to keep cool this summer as we are just starting July.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:00 PM   #2

Just remember that if you have double pain window there is a special film to use. Regular film will cause them to shatter due to heat build up between pain.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. From what I've been researching on the internet including 3-M films and such, its the black/non reflecting film that causes most problems with heat build up between the double panes. They also give a recommendation of not doing films on windows(double pane) larger than 40 square feet and encourage other ways to block the suns rays. I'm using the reflective metallic film which seems to be okay according to all the sites I visited and I have no window bigger than the 40 square feet recommendation. I have only installed the film on my master bathroom window so far at the house and we can tell a difference(it was 103 today). All windows on the TT are single pane which are no problem. Only deal is the film is alittle pricey, and I need to be less wasteful with the extra left-over pieces!
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #4
Anacortesians

You could come over this way. We got a "Heat alert" on the local evening news that we might get temps in the low 80s over the next few days. Humidity is down in the 30% range.

I remember when I lived in the UK, there was a headline in the Daily Telegraph that read "74 degrees again tomorrow and no relief in sight". This is the newspaper that headlined "Fog in Channel - Continent Isolated".
Old 07-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #5

I am not a pro at the tinting thing but From my experience that some of the pro films are of a better quality then the stuff you get from auto part stores.
the.wilsons is offline   Reply With Quote