Old 02-12-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
Owner/Operator

Just looked at another video of the 8289WS, and think I've found an easy solution to storing the central vacuum hose near the inlet hose connection.

There are louvered vents on the risers either for return air to the furnace, or to allow heat to reach the lower compartment. In either case, it should be fairly easy to unscrew the louvered vent, and re-attach it with a hinge at the bottom. Then install a latch of some sort at the top to hold it closed. Then WALA, storage for the vacuum hose and attachments.

If everything works out, I should also be able to install the hose plate on the left side of the steps where there is a solid surface.

Can't wait to get the RV and start modifying.

RodeoGeorge

Old 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM   #12

I just have a hybrid but we wanted to have a vac on board. We saw the Shark Lift Around so bought it to try. Very impressed with it's power and think it will work good in the camper. We actually liked it so much, we bought another for our lake house. This one we got at Costco and it even had a wheeled base to set it on.

Welcome to Shark® | Official Site

2015 Nights camped: 21
2014 Nights camped: 18
2013 Nights camped: 26
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #13

Well I got home as fast as I could yesterday and went straight to the 5er and grabbed that step and pulled and.......

It's not storage! I'm still perplexed with the way the stairs are boxed in underneath though. I'm sure there is storage under there and it's just waiting for me to access it! Think I might be pulling a stair tread in the near future.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
Owner/Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblackmon9599 View Post
Well I got home as fast as I could yesterday and went straight to the 5er and grabbed that step and pulled and.......

It's not storage! I'm still perplexed with the way the stairs are boxed in underneath though. I'm sure there is storage under there and it's just waiting for me to access it! Think I might be pulling a stair tread in the near future.
Well, let me know how that goes.

Do your risers have the vents, or are they solid wood?

The hinged louvered vent (I mentioned a few posts above) will give me what I need. I have no idea how they built the steps, so do not know if the carpet was put on after the build, or if each step was carpeted and then installed. Probably the former, so some carpet cutting would be required to remove and hinge a step.

RodeoGeorge
Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #15

Solid wood with no vents. I'm pretty sure I'll have to re-carpet the steps but I'm pretty handy if I need to do that. I'd really like to know what's in there before I pull the tread but I don't know of a way besides punching a small hole inside basement area to take a look. I think it might be beneficial to have some heat radiate to the basement anyway so if all goes well I might even install a small vent while I'm at it. I'm a little worried that it could be drafty on really cold nights so I'll have to think it through a little. Its a good place to store stuff though if I can make it work.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #16
Fulltime family RVer

On mine, from the basement area - I could probably use my cell phone's camera to hold it up over the basement's front wall to catch a glimpse of what's under there. I did it for various other places - just haven't done it there. I'm going to need to, since I really want to install this central vac system.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #17

I hadn't really thought about a picture. That would probably work but the way it is framed underneath I'll still have to poke a hole. They box framed the stairs and then used plywood to skin over the framing underneath. Wish I had a little snake camera to poke in there....
Old 02-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad
On mine, from the basement area - I could probably use my cell phone's camera to hold it up over the basement's front wall to catch a glimpse of what's under there. I did it for various other places - just haven't done it there. I'm going to need to, since I really want to install this central vac system.
On a side note, the paneling used in the basement to hide/protect my water lines and electrical lines was a cinch to remove. There is a ton of space in there and I plan to reposition my water lines and reposition those panels at some point. I could easily increase my basement area by about 40-50% with all of the wasted space.

If yours is similar you might consider the same. Perfect spot for the vac canister if you can move those walls around. IMHO.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #19
Fulltime family RVer

I took my partition down behind the water hookups area to get to a leak a couple of weeks back. There's not actually a whole lot of wasted space. We'll see. I need to get her home once it warms up to play around in there. Unfortunately, one of my neighbors complained to me about how long the camper sat out front after our December trip - so I'll have to aware and make sure it's at storage more than it's at home when we're not out using it.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Denver, CO

Motor (watts)1000 wattsAirflow (cfm - cubic feet per minute)96 CFMPre-motor filter for motor protectionyesVacuum cleaners motor filterAirClean filterVacuum bag capacity2.6 qt.Vacuum Dimensions50"H x 6"W x 6"L Weight of vacuum9 lbs.ModelS194 QuickstepWarranty2 year parts and labor, 7 year motor and labor My Miele (S194) is very nice and hangs up. 1000W of power, vroom vroom. I got the power brush with it and it really does the carpet well, better than the manual nozzle.

But these are campers, after all and we wouldn't want to sacrifice our "roughing it" image