Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #1

Keeping the Pantry Closed?

I have a slide out pantry door in my C. Much like a pocket door it slides in a no out. However, sometimes it comes open all by itself while we're on the road. Turning into places with curbs is the usual culprit.

Does anyone have a good modification to "latch" this sliding door closed?

My thinking was to use a threaded Rod, with one end a wood screw thread and the other end a machined thread. Mounting in the wood end into the cabinet base, then a latch of some kind under a wing nut. This would allow me to tighten the wing nut and the latch to hold the pantry door in place.

Anyone with Army experience remember the engine access cover hold downs in APC's? Looking at the same concept. I just can't find the hardware to do that. So, any good ideas?
Old 06-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad Haul View Post
I have a slide out pantry door in my C. Much like a pocket door it slides in a no out. However, sometimes it comes open all by itself while we're on the road. Turning into places with curbs is the usual culprit.

Does anyone have a good modification to "latch" this sliding door closed?

My thinking was to use a threaded Rod, with one end a wood screw thread and the other end a machined thread. Mounting in the wood end into the cabinet base, then a latch of some kind under a wing nut. This would allow me to tighten the wing nut and the latch to hold the pantry door in place.

Anyone with Army experience remember the engine access cover hold downs in APC's? Looking at the same concept. I just can't find the hardware to do that. So, any good ideas?

Maybe put a small set of magnets in place to hold the door. Button magnets like these at wally world (Link). Countersink one to the door and the other to the wall. A little gorilla glue and set them in place.
mandring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 PM   #3

How about the strap FR uses to hold sliding doors. One end is permenantly attached to the door and the other end attaches to the doorway with a thumb lock.
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty. Nick 25 y/o and Leif 6 1/2 yrs.
cruisegrandma is offline   Reply With Quote