Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #1

Kitchen Faucet handle blew up!

Last night while I was cleaning the sink out the hotwater side of the kitchen faucet handle blew straight up in the air and water went everywhere.

Once I got the water shut off and the water cleaned up I rounded up the handle and it's componets to figure out what occurred. I cannot for the life of me figure out why the thing blew up. Looks like the whole thing stripped out and just rocketed out of its position. The threads don't look stripped.

I guess I will have to replace the faucet now. Will a standard Home Depot unit fit?

2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
2009 Wildwood LE 27RBEC
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Site Team

This sounds like an episode of "I Love Lucy"!
Remove your old faucet and take it to Home Debit or Lowes
and they'll fix you right up!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #3

You were obviously connected to an external (city??) water source at the time. If so, were you using a water pressure reduction device. Some city water sources have way to high a water pressure and must be reduced to around 40 psi (I think that's the number anyway !!!) as many RV's plumbing systems can be damaged and cause leaks by not using a pressure regulator.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #4

If you have a "Cheap" plastic RV faucet, then this isn't an uncommon thing to happen. Have had a kitchen faucet and outside shower faucet both break due to detoriation. Replaced with metal and good to go.

2008 Chevy CCab 5.3L 4WD Z71
2008 FR Surveyor 291
Champion Genset
Slpybear, Mrs Slpybear, Three Cubs
slpybeartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 PM   #5

my outside shower did the same thing while it was on the low pressure water pump, not city water, so the factory ones are poor quality. Happened after 1 year, $12 fix. Now I turn off my water when away fishing or on a hike, hate to come home to a flood
Old 11-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #6

It's the cheapo RV faucet. Go to Home Depot of Lowes and get yourself a good replacement. Even a cheap one at Lowes would be better than the crap they put in RVs. It's also commonly thought that RV water systems are only good to 40lbs, actually the plumbing is good to much more than that but the typical water presure regulators you buy at an RV store are pre-set at 40psi. You will NOT do damage to your system by not having a presure regulator but it's not a bad idea to use one. We find that the onboard water filter on our rig does a dang good job of reducing the presure so I prefer to have it higher than 40psi at the inlet to compensate for this. I also learned long ago to turn the water supply and or pump off when you leave the rig as a pinhole leak in a fitting can cause a lot of damage if the water supply is left on.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Yes definitely turn the water off if you're not going to be there for a few hours.
Years ago we were at King's Dominion Campground. I was enjoying my morning coffee under the awning when the motorhome that was parked two sites over from us had a hose blow off. They had left about 20 minutes prior to this happening. By the time I put my coffee down and ran to the faucet, about 30 feet, and turned it off there was the beginnings of a nice moat. Their hose just blew apart. Had it been inside no one would have known until the water would have started running out of the door.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:34 AM   #8
Site Team

I had a hose blow off at the water pump one evening.
We had been there a couple days and were just sitting there
eating supper when the pump started running "for no reason".
Had we been out hiking it would have drained my tank,
probably burned up my pump and drained my battery.
Still, it's hard to remember to shut it off every time you walk
out the door.
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #9

What is funny, my owners manual doesn't recommend a pressure regulator. The only thing water supply related is to be sure to turn the pump off when hooked to the city water.

I was able to find all the parts that were sent flying. I removed the faucet thinking that I would have to replace it. I could not find out why the thing let go. The cartridge has a cap that screws down on top that holds it into position. Upon inspecting the threads were fine, the cap wasn't stripped and appeared ok. I replaced everything and re-intalled it. I put a water regulator on the city water line and tried it out with limited pressure. It is working fine now. I think the cap was loose and finally let go. However after looking at the POS faucet that is entirely plastic I think I will take the suggestions and get a good one when I come back from deer camp.

Thanks to all for the reply's.

2009 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0
2009 Wildwood LE 27RBEC
brittsnbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
Still, it's hard to remember to shut it off every time you walk
out the door.
Hmmm, I think we're on to something here. How about a water shut off valve (solenoid style - cheap and 12v - easy conversion to 9v w/ a condinser) with a switch in the trailer as you exit the door! Found another winter project to work on. Maybe a 9v remote switch for the solenoid

Side thought, guess those could fail too and flood the earth, better just train myself to remember to tuen off the valve
Old 11-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyz View Post
Hmmm, I think we're on to something here. How about a water shut off valve (solenoid style - cheap and 12v - easy conversion to 9v w/ a condinser) with a switch in the trailer as you exit the door! Found another winter project to work on. Maybe a 9v remote switch for the solenoid

Side thought, guess those could fail too and flood the earth, better just train myself to remember to tuen off the valve
I had this same thought several years ago but you would want a solenoid that doesn't require power to keep it energized one way or the other. I suppose it wouldn't be a problem if you had hookups but I don't want something draining battery power when I'm dry camping.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet