Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #1

Ladder

I just bought a Surveyor SV-304 and it did not come with a outside ladder. Has anyone installed a ladder on their own? Also, what ladder would you recommend?

Thanks-
Rex
rexerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
That's something I wish I had on my Park Trailer. I always gotta drag one out of the shed or truck one out to get on the roof. (they come in handy for washing windows, however!)

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:38 PM   #3

Talking

I just purchased a 2005 Surveyor SV234 that didn't come with a ladder and I got the dealer to work one into the deal with installation. I was there yesterday and got to watch them put it on. It was just a generic one that you can find at Camping World for under $150. I had to have a ladder!!
TWhaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #4

When we bought our 2007 Surveyor SV291 it didn't have a ladder either. When I asked the dealer, he said that when they do it at the factory, they add internal supports. He didn't outright refuse to do it for me, but he strongly recommended we didn't add it on. I don't know if that is the truth, or he just didn't want to assume any liability... End result, we carry one in the storage area (sometimes) or we just drag a picnic table over so I can sweep off the slide when closing up at a CG. At home I use a regular ladder.
gregm59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:31 PM   #5

We are having a ladder included with the purchase of our LE29BHBS

They are contacting the factory for wall construction info and plan to provide addn support by supporting the vertical ladder on the rear bumper. hope it works well
wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 PM   #6

I have the Rockwood 8318 and they won't put a ladder on it either. Actually, after thinking about it some, you can buy those cool telescoping ladders for about $200. The cost of a fixed ladder is about $80, then another $80 to install it.... Then when you sell the trailer, the ladder goes too. So, that $200 telescoping ladder is looking better, plus it could be used for anything anywhere...like getting the kids out of the tree....again
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #7

I have a 8314 with a factory installed ladder, they are good to have, I am 160 lbs and 5' 6" I noticed the last time I was on the ladder and was at the roof line it was starting to loosen up at the top where it is mounted, I hope there is added support in this area. I think that the ladder should be mounted to the top of the bumper at the bottom to help reduce the stress at the mounting point on the roof. Just a nother engineering thing!! Anyone know what the weight limits are for these ladders? and they are not very wide.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
The real question is: Is blocking (support in the wall) for a ladder automatically installed at the factory. Try to call them and ask.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:49 PM   #9
RJW

I would not install one without making sure I was screwing the mounts into a stud, I would also want to mount it to the top of the bumper which would absorb most of the downward pressure when climbing.

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #10

Ladder attached to bumper

Just a thought. . . Isn't. the body attached to the frame with rubber mounts to allow some flexing, or is this only on motor homes? If so - - - If the ladder was attached to the roof and the bumper, the frame might flex and tear the ladder loose from the roof and cause a leak.

I noticed when I was under my Class-C, it looked llike it had rubber mounts.

Just a thought.

Happy camping
Dizzy-Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #11

That is a good point, however the way it is now, I am going to have to reseal it as it is. The ladder moves from left to right as I go up or down due to my weight shifting from one step to another. Maybe if the ladder was wider then maybe it would not move as much. That is an idea, why not mount the ladder to rubber mount then to the top of the bumper or some kind of shock system so it will flex with the camper body. I know it's asking alot from the manufactures to do some real engineering!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:13 AM   #12

Dizzy-Dick, your class"C" is a motor vehicle it should have rubber mounts between the fram and the body as all cars do, but travel trailers do not they are attached directly to the fram, mine is anyway. The shift action of the camper body accurs at the top ( roof area ) from left to right. This could be reduced if the front and rear walls where design to do so. I do know one thing, the manufactures do not want there units to last a long time, they want you to buy again with in 5 to 7 years.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #13

Get an Xtend & Climb Ladder folding ladder, it has many uses at home too.

This ladder can be found for closer to $100 when on sale at places like Ace Hardware. I bought mine on Ebay back in 2004, and have been using it ever since. Very stable platform, even when I was 70 lbs heavier (265 lbs)!
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #14

2ManyToyz -- Now that is what I'm talkin about.... I just want to find one at the price you did! I've seen them for $189, but nothing near $100.

It would be a much more useful item, around the house, around the trailer, and any other place...
HookupAndGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #15

They apparently have a "Type 2" model now. Rather than being 12.5' open, the new one is 10.5'.

Available at Target for $129: http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XSG10001

Ace Hardware has the original 12.5' model for $159: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1818931

Mine has been used practically every week since I bought it almost 4 years ago.
https://www.2manytoyz.com/
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:42 PM   #16

Hey guys, the teloscopic ladder is listed at QVC for about 165...plus whatever shipping is. However Ebay has a bunch there for 99 bucks w the buy it now option with 23 bucks shipping.

I know where i`m buyin mine!!!
Joel
cmprguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #17

I was suppose to get a ladder as an add on with our new tt. last week the dealer called and had concerns about mounting to the back, not being sure about blocking and not able to obtain factory dwgs. He is going to review some more and try to mount to bumper too but i told him if he had concerns not to do it.

I also went ahead and got the little giant ladder, it goes to about 17 feet, pretty sturdy, it will require some room to store though.we hope it works out ok. its collapsed height is about 5.5 feet.

does 12.5 ft give you enough height to safely climb on top the roof, if roof is at least 11 to 12 feet high

thanks for your info, really neat looking ladder
Old 03-01-2008, 09:46 PM   #18

duplicated message/deleted
Old 03-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #19

Under the safety regulation we have to follow at work, a ladder must extend two feet above the landing, ( this is where you step up on the roof) this is so you have enough ladder to hold on to when you make that final step up onto the roof and something to hold on to as you start to come down and if at all possible secure the ladder at the roof so it will not slide side ways.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:19 PM   #20

thanks