Old 05-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #1

Ladder mounted bike rack

Anybody have any experience with ladder mounted bike racks? How do they hold up? Is there any concern about damage to the rv or the ladder?

I was contemplating using one to carry my daughters' 20" bikes.

Old 06-01-2013, 12:10 AM   #2

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ike-rack/42248

This is the one I have. Very sturdy and the bikes don't move around at all. I do have to remove the front wheel to keep the handlebars from hitting the coach.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #3

Thank you.

How has your ladder held up with this set up?
Old 06-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
Thank you.

How has your ladder held up with this set up?
I have only used it 4 times so far, but I haven't had a problem yet. I can see it from the rear view camera and it is rock solid, as are the bikes. No movement at all.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
outdoor addict

I used one on my old 5th wheel for a number of years. Worked fine.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Had a Camping World on SV291 Surveyor for 4 years and then moved it to the Georgetown. No problems as long as everything is tied down tight with extra bungees.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

I am not trying to be negative.....but I saw a fifth wheel camper this Spring with a ladder mounted bike rack on the rear while walking around the campground. Since I have a valid interest in bike rack options for our camper, I looked very closely to this setup. The ladder was bent down and nearly detached from the camper from the bouncing or down force and bumps in the road. The owner must not be paying much attention to it. This is NOT an option in my book....best of luck to those of you that attempt it.

SAILINGERIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILINGERIE View Post
I am not trying to be negative.....but I saw a fifth wheel camper this Spring with a ladder mounted bike rack on the rear while walking around the campground. Since I have a valid interest in bike rack options for our camper, I looked very closely to this setup. The ladder was bent down and nearly detached from the camper from the bouncing or down force and bumps in the road. The owner must not be paying much attention to it. This is NOT an option in my book....best of luck to those of you that attempt it.
This rack does require weight to be on it. If there isn't, it will move around. I just take it off when there are no bikes on it. Also prevents someone from stealing it.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #9
Paul & Sheri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAILINGERIE View Post
I noticed a slight bow in my ladder. The bottom part of the rack needs to rest over a ladder support and not mid span. I took pvc piping and bolted on a support that puts the weight of the rack against the camper and not the ladder.
2004 T@B T-16
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwb01 View Post

I took pvc piping and bolted on a support that puts the weight of the rack against the camper and not the ladder.
You don't happen to have a picture you could share, do you?

I have the factory mounted bike rack on the back of my Sabre, but fitting 4 bikes is cumbersome at best. I always worry about putting marks on the camper from the handle bars, or worse yet a hole. We were rear ended last summer and the bike rack and bikes took most of the damage...just a small mark on the back wall of the camper was all that happened to my Sabre.

My thinking is moving one 20" bike to the ladder mounted rack gets some cushion space between those bikes on the factory mounted rack and the back of the fifth wheel and makes loading up all my bikes much easier.

Open to any thoughts...