Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2013, 11:26 AM   #1

Landing Gear

I have a 2008 Palomino Sabre 28RETS. This unit has an electric landing gear and was wondering what benefits and difficulty would it be to change over to hydraulic landing gear.
When I bought this trailer the dealer put new tires on and it has "D" rated tire should I change them over to "E" rated?
I am disappointed that FR did not run electric to the basement or run cable for a TV hook up. What would be the easiest way to add these?
This is the first 5th wheel I have ever owned and the 2nd camper I have ever owned. When I camped it was in a tent, we dont camp any longer but we live and just want to turn the camper into what will work best for us.
The dealership we bought this camper from (Campers Inn, would never do business with them again) replaced the awning material but ordered the wrong material. According to Dometic, when you have a short arm on your camper and the model number has 841 in it then it is a 7ft awning not 8ft. After I found this out of course I called the dealer and they said it was bought as is and thats the way it is bud. So just how hard is it to take the material off. My idea is to take off and take to a canvas shop and have a foot taken off.
Thanks for any and all comments
Fishndaflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #2

Why do you want hydraulic landing legs?

Hyd would be heavier with the pump/motor and fluid.

I agree that a pro should remove the extra cloth because it needs to be square so it rolls up right.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #3

Well the electric one seems as of it struggles to lift, and hydraulic is more powerful and would not struggle. What are you adding maybe 10 lbs of weight?
The awning fabric I was quoted $300 just to remove and replace, that does not include to pay the canvas shop to cut and sew the beading back in. Ill keep the $300 and do it myself. As far as keeping it square that's easy just take it off the trailer side and not the roll side.
Fishndaflats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #4

As for the awning, just don't roll it out so far. Stop it when extended and you're good to go. The landing gear - bigger motor would be much less expensive than running hoses, pump, fluid, having to deal with seal changes, cleaning up hyd fluid leaks, etc.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndaflats View Post
Well the electric one seems as of it struggles to lift, and hydraulic is more powerful and would not struggle. What are you adding maybe 10 lbs of weight?
The awning fabric I was quoted $300 just to remove and replace, that does not include to pay the canvas shop to cut and sew the beading back in. Ill keep the $300 and do it myself. As far as keeping it square that's easy just take it off the trailer side and not the roll side.
LCI lippert will install a 6 point system for $4500.00 at the factory in Indiana. If you go to the rally in Goshen they will do it for $4000.00 that will be in August. I have checked already...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote