Old 04-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #1

Larger pass through door

Has anyone changed the smaller pass through door with a larger one?

The opening and door on the front (awning side) is nice and large. I can put, and get, things out without any problem. The door and opening on the opposite side is much smaller and makes it hard to reach anything from there.

The pass through is the same size from one side to the other and I don't see any obstacles that would prevent the smaller door from being enlarged to the same as the other.

I am guessing they (the RV industry) do this for cost savings. Where is a good place to buy a door if I choose to do this?

Old 04-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

It's not obvious what rig you have, but in any case I would not consider a mod like this. It's likely that there is internal wall framing around the access door which should not be removed/altered.

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

Thanks for the input RES. One side is like the other and I feel comfortable doing this type of mod myself. Since we just purchased this unit, I will not do anything to void the warranty. But, when the warranty is up, look out! I'm just in the research phase right now.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:41 AM   #4

A call to support at the Factory might result in some useful information in your research. They can be helpful if they want to be... I am guessing aluminum structure in the wall around the opening would need to be changed in attempting this but the factory is the only ones that know for sure.

Also on a cooler morning with some dew in the air I notice I can "see" the aluminum structure in our rig, that might give you some clues also as to where things are and if it really is possible.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #5

Thanks Walter, I will give that a try.

In the mean time here are some pictures of what I'm talking about.

As you can see by the first photo, there appears to be no difference or obstacles in enlarging the opening.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #6

Numbers that might help:

Warranty Administrators
Salem (East) Tony Hufnagle
thufnagle@forestriverinc.com

Salem (West) Bryan Lidgard
blidgard@forestriverinc.com

Salem is Aluminum siding so I would suspect that the structure around the opening is wood and might actually be easy to rebuild. Also Salem might be able to sell you a new door to match the other side.

2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #7

If your good at wood work it shouldn't be a big problem. If you do a really good job on the mod most repair techs are not going to know you changed it. There are so many things the techs need to know and soooo many models a door isn't going to be something that important for them to remember.
IMO if you have problems that relate to the mod you did you may be screwed on warranty repairs.

Like it was said before I would talk to the factory. But I feel sure they will tell you that if it's possible to do it, they would want the dealer to do it for you.

tlambert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door