Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #1

Latest Mod, Better Storage

Our Wildcat Sterling 5er has a storage compartment on the right side just aft of the Pass through. It houses the water pump, water heater etc. on the left side and the right side has an access door.

It would be a nice extra storage area except for one thing, the waste pipe from the toilet to the black tank running diagonal through it just inside the door. I just changed that to make more storage. See the pics below.

And yes, before someone asks I used Universal glue to allow connecting PVC pipe to the ABS that FR used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0526.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	299.7 KB
ID:	152157   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0529.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	152158   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0530.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	251.5 KB
ID:	152159  
Old 09-22-2017, 08:37 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasReid View Post
Our Wildcat Sterling 5er has a storage compartment on the right side just aft of the Pass through. It houses the water pump, water heater etc. on the left side and the right side has an access door.

It would be a nice extra storage area except for one thing, the waste pipe from the toilet to the black tank running diagonal through it just inside the door. I just changed that to make more storage. See the pics below.

And yes, before someone asks I used Universal glue to allow connecting PVC pipe to the ABS that FR used.

Good job. Every little bit helps
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:

Good job, every little bit helps...and good job with the "glue disclaimer " you know the wannabe "do it to yourselfers" would be pointing that out
Bdlnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdlnky View Post
Good job, every little bit helps...and good job with the "glue disclaimer " you know the wannabe "do it to yourselfers" would be pointing that out
It does at that. I can now put my small tool box, my cordless Drill.Driver and the new cordless Impact Wrench all in the space I just freed up.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:50 PM   #5
Cutty

looking Good

Looks like you got a lot more space out of that. I'm always looking at wasted space and trying to figure out how to fix it. thanks for the idea didn't think of that.
bbcutright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcutright View Post
Looks like you got a lot more space out of that. I'm always looking at wasted space and trying to figure out how to fix it. thanks for the idea didn't think of that.
To be honest I didn't either until I bought the impact wrench in a case and needed a place to store it. Then I got creative! *S*
Old 09-22-2017, 02:48 PM   #7

Quote:

Thanks for that idea on a simple mod. I will be doing the same thing to my access area.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:50 PM   #8

Quote:
To be honest I didn't either until I bought the impact wrench in a case and needed a place to store it. Then I got creative! *S*
Good looking job Douglas, if you wanted to ~ Tractor Supply has some very small 'brackets' (similar to the tie downs for battery boxes) which you can attach a ratchet strap to (minus the hooks) to synch your tool box and stuff down with. The little brackets have an eye on each end to screw them into place, no worry of things bouncing around against the waste pipe. I have used them in another 'cargo' trailer and they work very well.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 09:07 PM   #9

Looks good to me , very professional
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by extxn View Post
Good looking job Douglas, if you wanted to ~ Tractor Supply has some very small 'brackets' (similar to the tie downs for battery boxes) which you can attach a ratchet strap to (minus the hooks) to synch your tool box and stuff down with. The little brackets have an eye on each end to screw them into place, no worry of things bouncing around against the waste pipe. I have used them in another 'cargo' trailer and they work very well.
Again to be honest I didn't think of that. I will go take a look at what they have and WILL do something.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:11 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Looks good to me , very professional
Thanks spock,

It helps that in a previous life I was a Journeyman Plumber.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:17 AM   #12

Well as a plumber you know to use more water as "things" will slow down in that now horizontal portion of pipe. The 45s kept things vertical so less water to move "things" along. Only a comment for those looking to do,this mod as I have seen this in models from the factory and they plug all the time. Looks good.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
Well as a plumber you know to use more water as "things" will slow down in that now horizontal portion of pipe. The 45s kept things vertical so less water to move "things" along. Only a comment for those looking to do,this mod as I have seen this in models from the factory and they plug all the time. Looks good.
Yes I am aware that solids need water to carry them along the piping. In this case they do not have to go far (less than 7") before they become vertical, and that is after a nearly vertical drop into and through the double 1/8th bends, but you are correct.

It is good you pointed this out, because some uninformed persons could have troubles if they don't flush solids with enough water.

Tags
storage