Old 10-09-2011, 11:04 PM   #131
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I think im gonna bite the bullet and order some of those 99 cent ones in the brite white. 10 to do my main room, 4 for bathroom, 4 for bedroom, 4 for kitchen.. gonna add up quick!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #132

[QUOTE=Paul Stamser;70599]Well, my 24 and 36-LEDs arrived yesterday from Hong Kong.

3) The bayonet fitting is some kind of mini-plug that doesn't fit my 1156 type sockets. So I just cut the wires and taped them into the circuit.

Were they supposed to have the 1156 base? (just curious)

4) The amount of light from the 36-LED is FANTASTIC! One 36-LED completely illuminates my entire counter-stove-sink area wonderfully! I am not used to regular 110 volt lighting and hate it because it's generally so bright when I visit normal peoples' houses that it hurts my eyes. But I would compare this 36-LED to about a 60-70 watt bulb, or so it seems to me.

5) From my amp-meter reading it appears that the 36-LED burns about 1/4 amp or just a tad more. I can easily live with that!

What were they supposed to draw for watts? (again just curious LEDs use about 10% of their incandescent equivalent when comparing AC replacement lamps but power is lost in the conversion from AC power to the DC LEDs.)

7) The BIG QUESTION now is how long this relatively "cheap" ($9) LED will last in daily useage. My previous LEDs started crapping out within a year or so and did not live up to the hype. While old time incandescent auto bulbs simply NEVER burned out in my 12 volt stand-alone solar electric & battery system (well, almost never).

A good AC LED is rated at 50,000 hours vs 1,000 hours for incandescent, "cheap" lamps may not last anywhere close to that. I don't know about the DC LEDs.

QUESTION: Is there any kind of electrically conductive glue-cement-adhesive on the market you can use instead of solder to make a permanent electrical connection? This would seem to be a no-brainer since no melting heat or dripping solder would be involved. But does it exist? If it does I've never heard of it. But how cool would that be? Just wrap the wires together and coat them with the conductive adhesive and then tape it. Presto! A perfect permanent connection! Useful, but does it exist???

http://www.mgchemicals.com/downloads...pguide0606.pdf

Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #133

I didn't plan far enough out to buy ebay LEDs, so I bought the following from LED Lights, Bulbs & Accessories - SUPER BRIGHT LEDS
  • 921-x12: Wedge Base LED bulb -- 921-WW12: Warm White
  • WLED-xHP10-DAC: LED T10 Wedge Base Bulb with 10 High Power 5050SMD -- WLED-WWHP10-DAC: Warm White
The 921-WW12 were too dim to place in overhead lighting. I placed them in our bunkend light/fan units. They provided minimal general lighting, but not enough (IMO) for reading. Though my kids had no problem reading/journalling with the same.

The WLED-WWHP10-DAC (aka Ping Pong paddles) were great in overhead lighting. When used in pairs I thought they were more than bright enough for our needs. I bought 6 of them and placed 2 in our "main" center overhead light, 2 in our bathroom light, 1 in our over-the-sink light and 1 in the overhead light near the rear bunkends. The single light over the sink was perfect as were the double lights in the center and the bathroom. Having a single in the rear overhead was a bit too dim.

I plan to buy a few more to expand coverage (dinette and a second overhead pair).

What I need to find is a good bright light to place over the stove top. The space behind the plastic cover is too small for the ping-pong paddle. And the 921-WW12 are too dim for this task. Maybe I'll get a eBay 24 SMD and Velcro it under the hood, though it I would not be able to place it behind any sort of lens cover. Thoughts?

What about outdoor lights? I would like to replace our porch light with an LED, but I couldn't figure out how to remove the cover to determine the type of bulb.
BackInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #134

Solder glue and trace pens

I have bought liquid solder pens on ebay to repair traces on quartz watches. A quick look on ebay and I saw a couple of listings - solder glue and trace pen. Can require a couple of layers to build up the connection.
regards,
Stephen McLachlin
Calgary, AB
Old 12-02-2011, 06:52 PM   #135
Villa Estate 392FLFB

glad i only ordered 4.. all 4 are the wrong bases...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #136
Villa Estate 392FLFB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlhoppe View Post
Replaced mine with the 36 LED units. I went with "warm white" as I can't stand the bluish tint of regular bright white LEDs. I'm very happy with the results. My current measurements show them to draw about one-third the current compared to the incandescent bulbs. I just ordered some single T10 LED replacements for my two reading lamps over the couch. I'll report on those when I have them.

Here are the 36 LED units:
Warm White Light Lamp Panel 36 SMD LED+T10+Dome+BA9S Ad | eBay

Here are the singles:
2 X T10 8 LED SMD Car Bulb Wedge Side Light Lamp White | eBay

how did you makes these work? the bases are tiny!

EDIT:

okay i see the white small base works for the inside bulbs! I tried the one that i guess is the b9as or something and its tiny and doesnt work for the outside light that i was hoping it would
Old 12-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #137

Has anyone run into the problem of these LED bulbs (either the flat-panel type or the straight type) not fitting into the available space for the light cover? It doesn't look like there's a whole lot of extra space under that cover where the 921 bulb normally lives...thoughts?
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #138

Has anyone replaced the lamp in the hood fan, the light that came in ours is very poor.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:22 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops1 View Post
Has anyone replaced the lamp in the hood fan, the light that came in ours is very poor.
I replaced the incandescent bulb in mine with a 36 LED pad similar to this one: (Can't find the exact one I bought...)

Light Panel 36 SMD LED & T10 & BA15S &

The LED pad gets quite hot, so I put the incandescent bulb back in, turned it on for 20 minutes, and measured the temp with my infrared thermometer. I repeated the test with the LED pad. The two temps were within 10įs of each other. (The LED was actually hotter!) I checked the little plastic lens for signs of melting, and all was good. So, I simply put the LED pad in the recess of the lens and clipped it back in.

Many, many camping trips later, all is well, and, the DW is VERY happy for the extra light!

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:33 AM   #140

Thanks John, looks like I have some shopping to do.

Tags
12 volt