Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #1

LED conversion done today

Goal was to at least convert the lights we have on a lot, ideally all of them. We mostly run the main ceiling lights and one of the above-bed reading lights.

From reading about flashlights, I know there's differences in efficiency, cooling, and regulation. Also obviously in color temperature and less obviously in color quality.

Looking online, there are a fey types of LEDs available, like the three-way 5050 or the smaller 1210. Typical brand names like Cree or any other differentiators seemed to be missing. Apparently the RV led lights don't need regulation or heat sinks.

I ordered four round 13x5050 bulbs from seller gem-led ($2.35 each), ten 24x1210 flat from ouyou2010 ($1.50 each) and four 12x5050 flat from 2011_led ($3.58 each). All T10 sockets, warm white types. I planned the round types for the overhead lights and the flat types for the other lights.

This is 2012. With a few clicks I ordered products from Hong Kong and mainland China. Amazing. Expectations weren't terribly high but if I had to write off some of my money I'd live. Fast forward two weeks and a set of padded envelopes arrive in my mailbox.

The round 13x5050s installed easily and look about as bright, a little whiter than the incandescents they replaced. With the flat types, I had not considered they only work one way, due to polarity, which sometimes meant the banks of LEDs were facing up. D'oh! Fortunately I had ordered two types, and luckily they had different polarity (or the other ones work both ways, see below).

The flat 5050s were a little whiter than the 1210s. The 1210s can look a little yellow and I have to say I slightly prefer the 5050s I got. The $1.50 1210-24 also have a little 4-pin IC pictured where in fact they had none. I don't know enough about electronics to know if that's a missing voltage regulator or not. The flat 5050 have a small IC labeled MB6S which I take is a 0.5A Bridge Rectifier. My guess that's to fix the polarity problem.

With the reading lights, I got unlucky and the bulk $1.50 LEDs were facing up. Upon further consideration I found these LEDs were a little too bright for over-bed reading lights, and left them installed facing up, producing indirect light. The indirect light is a little whiter/bluer still probably due to the reflective surface in the lights. This totally does it for reading lights.

After learning this, I installed one pair, one facing up, one facing down, in the bathroom because that's what I had left at that point. It works out quite OK actually one LED providing ambient light and one facing down. The only downside is that here you can see a difference in color temperature despite the two LEDs being the same. This is again because the reflected light looks different.

Overall at $40 this was an easy and straightforward mod with a few minor pitfalls. Next time we get caught somewhere dry camping in bad weather, we'll be able to run all the lights, without the repercussions.
Skelshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:25 AM   #2

Thanks for the info! I've been considering replacing some of my lights with led's but unsure what to use. I bookmarked your page for later, that is whenever I get around to changing some of my lights.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

There are many threads here about upgraded LED lighting.
A forum search will reveal many informative links.

Try "LED upgrade" as search terms

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ults-9233.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ade-16011.html
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote